Old December 14th 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Default Looking for fiberglass antenna part

Short of having a machinist build me some, can anyone advise where I
might be able to buy this part for a home made antenna project....

I need an addapter that is 3/8" x 24 thread on one end, and a 1/2"
tube on the other... to fit over 1/2" fiberglass rod. I can use 3/8" to
5/8" rod diameters to meet this part specs, if necessary.

Stainless steel or brass would be fine.

Ed K7AAT
Old December 15th 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman

Ed wrote:

Short of having a machinist build me some, can anyone advise where I
might be able to buy this part for a home made antenna project....

I need an addapter that is 3/8" x 24 thread on one end, and a 1/2"
tube on the other... to fit over 1/2" fiberglass rod. I can use 3/8" to
5/8" rod diameters to meet this part specs, if necessary.

Stainless steel or brass would be fine.

Ed K7AAT

Buy a long 3/8"x24 bolt, hacksaw off the head, then expoxy some pipe with
1/2" inside diam in over the end. Make sure the part extending into the
pipe is long enough.

Irv VE6BP (Not a machinist, just an idea as to how I'd do it)
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old December 15th 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Buy a long 3/8"x24 bolt, hacksaw off the head, then expoxy some pipe
with 1/2" inside diam in over the end. Make sure the part extending
into the pipe is long enough.

Thanks, Irv. Possibly workable for me, but the threaded end needs good
RF continuity to the 1/2" tube end, which will be soldered to a helical
winding running up the fiberglass rod.

Ed
Old December 15th 05, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Ed wrote:
Thanks, Irv. Possibly workable for me, but the threaded end needs good
RF continuity to the 1/2" tube end, which will be soldered to a helical
winding running up the fiberglass rod.

Connect the helical winding to a 3/8" automotive lug and slip it over
the 3/8" threaded section.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old December 15th 05, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Connect the helical winding to a 3/8" automotive lug and slip it over
the 3/8" threaded section.

That will work, Cecil. Especially is I run a nut up on it to tighten on
the lug. Thanks.

Ed

PS: Am still looking for the one that antenna manufacturers use, though.

Old December 15th 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Do you ever get to Central Oregon? Or send a drawing with dimensions.
Like how long is the threaded portion? How long is the tube part? If
you can make to Redmond, I will volunteer to make it for you.

Paul, KD7HB

Old December 15th 05, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred W4JLE

The ham spirit is still alive and well. Great to know hams are still willing
to lend a hand to a brother ham.

You are to be commended!

ups.com...

Old December 15th 05, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Do you ever get to Central Oregon? Or send a drawing with dimensions.
Like how long is the threaded portion? How long is the tube part? If
you can make to Redmond, I will volunteer to make it for you.

Paul, KD7HB

Thanks, Paul. Your reply is appreciated, as Fred mentioned. There
actually may be a time next Summer when we might get over there. Sister
in Law lives in Prineville. We were in Redmond for that big RV
convention this past summer, but didn't spend any time looking around
town. I'll keep your callsign/email in case we do get there again this
coming year.

I take it you're a machinist? Maybe, after the Holidays, I'll
contact you by email and discuss this again... I may be able to
email you pictures or drawings of what I'm looking for when I get a
chance, to get your opinion on what I'm looking for..

Ed

Old December 15th 05, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tim Wescott

Irv Finkleman wrote:

Ed wrote:

Short of having a machinist build me some, can anyone advise where I
might be able to buy this part for a home made antenna project....

I need an addapter that is 3/8" x 24 thread on one end, and a 1/2"
tube on the other... to fit over 1/2" fiberglass rod. I can use 3/8" to
5/8" rod diameters to meet this part specs, if necessary.

Stainless steel or brass would be fine.

Ed K7AAT

Buy a long 3/8"x24 bolt, hacksaw off the head, then expoxy some pipe with
1/2" inside diam in over the end. Make sure the part extending into the
pipe is long enough.

Irv VE6BP (Not a machinist, just an idea as to how I'd do it)

As a modification to this, since you can stand 1/2 inch thread, how
about using a 1/2 inch bolt and brazing or silver soldering some 1/2
inch ID tube over it? Not only will this be easier than trying to
center the 3/8 and potentially stronger than epoxy, but it would keep
that RF continuity.

This is the sort of part that's expensive to turn out as a one-off part,
but very easy to manufacture on an NC lathe -- even a cam-driven
automatic screw machine would handle this with ease. Because of this I
suspect that there aren't any on the open market; rather a manufacturer
would just send drawings to their favorite screw machine place to have
them made 10000 at a time.

It's also the sort of part that's fun to make in limited quantity -- it
looks pretty, you get to practice your threading, yet its not too
critical. So you might want to take up Paul's offer, perhaps with a
nice drawing. Just don't ask him to make too many.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old December 15th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Good information, (below), thanks. On the issue of availability,
though, I have to wonder why they would NOT be available for sale?
Obviously, certain manufacturers of the multitude of ham-stick type
antennas use them. There must be a large scale source, somewhere!

Ed

On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM
FS: sma-to-bnc custom fit rubber covered antenna adapter Stephen G. Gulyas Scanner 17 December 7th 04 06:42 PM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM