Old April 14th 11, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Cleaning out QEX magazines

On 4/13/2011 9:01 PM, John KD5YI wrote:

I've been paying:

ARRL membership $39
QEX for members $24
------
Total $63

If I drop my ARRL membership the cost would be:

ARRL membership $00
QEX non-member $36
--------
Total $36

Almost a 43% reduction in cost to get the cream of publications. Of
course, I'd be giving up QST. Somehow, that doesn't bother me too much.

John

I would respectfully suggest that you are missing the big picture. It's
not just the magazine(s).

Like them or not, the ARRL is the ONLY organization that supports ham
radio on a national level, going to bat for us before Congress and the FCC.

73,
Joe
Old April 14th 11, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/14/2011 7:49 AM, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On 4/13/2011 9:01 PM, John KD5YI wrote:

I've been paying:

ARRL membership $39
QEX for members $24
------
Total $63

If I drop my ARRL membership the cost would be:

ARRL membership $00
QEX non-member $36
--------
Total $36

Almost a 43% reduction in cost to get the cream of publications. Of
course, I'd be giving up QST. Somehow, that doesn't bother me too much.

John

I would respectfully suggest that you are missing the big picture. It's
not just the magazine(s).

Well, maybe. I think that the big picture depends on the desires of the
observer.

Like them or not, the ARRL is the ONLY organization that supports ham
radio on a national level, going to bat for us before Congress and the FCC.

73,
Joe

It is not that I do not like the ARRL. I've been a member for many years.

But, just being a member doesn't pay for that support. Notice from the
cost of membership shown on the ARRL site that only $8 per year is left
over after paying for QST. I'd bet that that $8 barely pays them to
maintain their records and Web site. What they apparently depend on for
money to represent us in Washington is donations. Along with volunteers,
perhaps.

So, does this mean that those of us who do not send in donations are
missing the big picture?

73,
John
Old April 14th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/14/2011 12:56 PM, John KD5YI wrote:
[...]

Well, I overlooked the revenue generated by ads in QST. It is probably
true that a greater membership means a greater magazine circulation
which means ads can garner more because they reach a greater audience.

I just wanted that on record to show I am not advocating discontinuing
membership.

73,
John

Cleaning out QEX magazines amdx Shortwave 30 April 17th 11 08:49 PM
Shack Cleaning JT Swap 0 December 20th 04 10:46 AM
cleaning antennas PDRUNEN Antenna 14 October 21st 04 01:15 AM
Cleaning Out the Basement VE1TV Boatanchors 1 August 14th 04 09:57 PM
Wanted: CB Radio magazines or Radio & Communications Magazines TheDon Swap 0 December 21st 03 09:59 AM