Old May 31st 11, 04:06 PM
Junior Member

Location: Upstate NY
Default Butternut HF6V bending problems

I was wondering if anyone besides me has had problems with an HF6V or similar vertical in an above-ground/elevated radial installation getting bent over somewhat and loosening up where the insulator between the 40 and 80 meter coils is attached to the aluminum tubes.
I get some heavy winds from the west that really beat the antenna up and bend it way over toward the east. It's mounted near the top of my attached garage, on the west side, so there isn't any place to attach a guy wire to keep it from bending over to the east. I have replaced the insulator once, and every couple years, I tighten everything up, using several types of clamps. Nothing really seems to last for all that long though, without the thing getting bent over and loose again.

Anyway, has anyone found a good way to reinforce the antennal where the insulator is, so it doesn't keep getting permanently bent over. Are there some really heavy-duty clamps or other pieces of hardware available that will hold everything tight, and wont cause the aluminum tubing to break because of the clamp biting into it? (That happened to me last year).

Thanks for any suggestions,
Al, WA2AS

WTB Butternut HF6V Paolo Emanuelli IK1QHB Antenna 0 May 13th 06 11:38 PM
WTB Butternut HF6V Paolo Emanuelli IK1QHB Equipment 0 May 1st 06 05:00 PM
Butternut HF6V question Mike Coslo Antenna 4 October 26th 04 07:48 AM
Butternut HF6V Mike Coslo Policy 7 October 18th 04 01:02 AM
Butternut HF6V FS/FT MD Equipment 1 August 5th 03 01:03 PM