Old June 12th 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default AIM4170 Presentation -- open-wire feeder TDR scan

I have added a further update to the AIM4170 Presentation, showing a TDR
scan on an open-wire feeder.

Go to: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/aim4170.htm

then click on the link "AIM4170 PowerPoint Presentation".

New slides 72, 73 and 74 show clearly that although Zo = the calculated
free space value at the antenna feedpoint, it is otherwise considerably
affected by the feeder’s proximity to ground and other objects.

Zo actually falls as the feeder descends from the shack window to the
garage, remains more-or-less constant as it passes over the garage roof,
and only begins to increase again as it traverses the hedge and passes
through the tree. Note also that the impedance decreases slightly where
the feeder narrows at the antenna feedpoint.

Yet another example of the incredible versatility of the AIM4170.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

The AIM4170 Antenna Analyzer:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/aim4170.htm

Old June 13th 11, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:

I have added a further update to the AIM4170 Presentation, showing a TDR
scan on an open-wire feeder.

Go to: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/aim4170.htm

then click on the link "AIM4170 PowerPoint Presentation".

New slides 72, 73 and 74 show clearly that although Zo = the calculated
free space value at the antenna feedpoint, it is otherwise considerably
affected by the feeder’s proximity to ground and other objects.

Zo actually falls as the feeder descends from the shack window to the
garage, remains more-or-less constant as it passes over the garage roof,
and only begins to increase again as it traverses the hedge and passes
through the tree. Note also that the impedance decreases slightly where
the feeder narrows at the antenna feedpoint.

Yet another example of the incredible versatility of the AIM4170.

I'm surprised that there were no FUs to this (at least in ukra).

This looks like a seriously useful bit of kit for the antenna
experimenter, but whether I could personally justify one for my
string-and-sealing-wax approach to short wire antennas is
questionable.

Although this device means one could fine-tune one's antenna, the one
thing that affects very nearly every Amateur is the ground around
their installation, probably up to 10 lambda before the various fields
and rays begin to sort themselves out. There seems to be no equivalent
piece of kit that would enable such an assessment to be made or its
effect on the station's performance to be estimated. I guess most of
us take the view that one lives with what one has, and can't do much
about it anyway.
--

Spike
Old June 13th 11, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On Jun 13, 12:19*pm, Spike wrote:

I'm surprised that there were no FUs to this (at least in ukra).

This looks like a seriously useful bit of kit for the antenna
experimenter, but whether I could personally justify one for my
string-and-sealing-wax approach to short wire antennas is
questionable.

I had a quick look at this piece of equipment, but couldn't see it
offering anything more than the MRS MiniVNA, which is a two
port device and a more versatile instrument.

(A one port device is useless for setting up filters etc.)

Old June 13th 11, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On Jun 13, 1:23*pm, Brian Morrison wrote:

And it's a bit more future proof since it has a USB connection rather
than RS-232.

I don't think RS232 is going to die just yet.

It's still easy to cater for, but as you say, USB
is a lot more convenient since just sbout every PC
these days has them.

However I'm always cautious about anything software
driven becoming obsolete.

Hence I also keep a Palstar ZM30 around for HF work,
that doesn't require a PC, but still gives me all the relevent
data for antenna work.

And after all that, I still insist on a final tune up with a
field strength meter ;-)

The mini VNA being a two port device is great for making high/low
/bandpass./notch filters and instant seeing the response.

You can line up IF xtal filters etc. Very versatile.

Old June 14th 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

HAGGIS KILT Inscribed thus:

2446 lines of "bla"
Plonk !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Old June 15th 11, 09:42 AM
Junior Member

It is a nice post and good discussion and i had been looking for some information and it is a nice post for this point of view.