Old May 5th 04, 04:16 PM
Larry Gagnon

Default easy way to refurbish tarnished copper wire?

I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

Larry VE7EA
***************
remove "fake" from email address
Old May 5th 04, 05:38 PM
Clair J. Robinson

I am told that soaking the wire in vinegar with a little salt added
shines it up nicely. This was a recent Hints and Kinks item. Buddies
tried it and say that it works. Seems to me that vinegar alone might
work, too. Good luck!

73, CJ K0CJ

Old May 5th 04, 06:56 PM
Jack Painter

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in
I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

Larry, try a solution of sulphuric acid (avalable at retail) for cleaning
and preparing copper joints for soldering. This has been used in
plumbing/pipefitting trades for decades to make a clean joint for soldering.
It should work as well on stranded copper. From your description of the old
wire condition however, your efforts would be better served by just
replacing the old wire and using all new material.

Jack
Virginia Beach VA

Old May 5th 04, 08:02 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Larry Gagnon wrote:
I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

Soak it in Coca-Cola.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Old May 6th 04, 04:58 PM
june

Hi
we learned in science class that the acid in our stomachs is very strong
so the stomach has a protective lining !

june

Soak it in Coca-Cola.

I used to pour Coke on my corroded car battery terminals. Sure cleaned
'em up. Makes ya wonder, tho', what Coke must do to your stomach :-(

Bob
k5qwg

Geoff.

Old May 7th 04, 01:32 AM
Dave Holford

Bill wrote:

Vinegar and salt solution.

I have some stranded antenna wire which has been very corroded and a
real pain to clean up.

I tried the vinegar and salt solution recently and it works just great,
each strand is clean and easily soldered.

I have not tried the coke idea but will try to remember next time we
have some coke around the house.

Dave
Old May 8th 04, 12:04 AM
SB

I have a hard enough time throwing up in the toilet when the need
calls....it's like sneezing while urinating!!

"Ed Price" wrote in message

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 May 2004 19:02:32 +0000 (UTC), (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

In article , Larry Gagnon

wrote:
I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

Soak it in Coca-Cola.

I used to pour Coke on my corroded car battery terminals. Sure cleaned
'em up. Makes ya wonder, tho', what Coke must do to your stomach :-(

Bob
k5qwg

Geoff.

Try throwing up on you battery terminals; I think you'll find that your

gut
contents are more acidic than Coke.

If you want some serious acidic cleaning, just buy some Muriatic acid at

the
local hardware store, typically only about $5 per gallon. This is really
hydrochloric acid, and does a really great job removing rust from steel or
corrosion from other metals. Be extremely careful, this is as active a
cleaner as you can readily buy. Use it full strength. The fumes are
dangerous, and it works fast, sometimes too fast. Get some old Pyrex trays
and bowls to work in, and get a pair of long barbecue tongs to hold your
items.

Not enough danger in HV or RF? Then expand into chemistry!

Ed
WB6WSN

Adding lengths to bare wire antenna? Ken Antenna 8 May 3rd 04 03:03 PM
Guy wire vs. guy rope zeno Antenna 18 April 19th 04 07:30 AM
ton of wire to apply at 90 Mhz Dan Jacobson Antenna 4 April 10th 04 12:54 PM
FS 19 Strand 1/4" OD All Copper Antenna Wire Bill Hansen Antenna 1 March 10th 04 10:00 PM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 11:01 AM