Old July 23rd 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 80 meter dipole

Hello,
I want to put up a center fed dipole for 75 meters. Trouble is, my lot
is not large enough to run the two legs without any bends.
My tower is in the center of my lot and is 60 feet at the peak, and is
40 feet to both ends of the lot.
What would the best solution be without using coils to "shorten" the
antenna?
I've had some luck by "dog legging" each leg of the dipole, but have
not gone past 200 watts power for fear of a arc.

Thanks,
73, W6IML

--
War does not Determine who is right
war determines who is Left.

Old July 23rd 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

El 23-07-11 20:45, Eagle escribió:
Hello,
I want to put up a center fed dipole for 75 meters. Trouble is, my lot
is not large enough to run the two legs without any bends.
My tower is in the center of my lot and is 60 feet at the peak, and is
40 feet to both ends of the lot.
What would the best solution be without using coils to "shorten" the
antenna?
I've had some luck by "dog legging" each leg of the dipole, but have
not gone past 200 watts power for fear of a arc.

Thanks,
73, W6IML

Hello Dave,

Having some bends in it (or a small vertical part) will result in
minor change, as you have sufficient straight length (your 80 ft lot).

You may need to increase the overall length somewhat and the input
impedance may reduce somewhat. If the ends run vertically and are
close to ground, length reduces mostly.

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Please remove abc first in case of PM
Old July 23rd 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Eagle" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to put up a center fed dipole for 75 meters. Trouble is, my lot is
not large enough to run the two legs without any bends.
My tower is in the center of my lot and is 60 feet at the peak, and is 40
feet to both ends of the lot.
What would the best solution be without using coils to "shorten" the
antenna?
I've had some luck by "dog legging" each leg of the dipole, but have not
gone past 200 watts power for fear of a arc.

Thanks,
73, W6IML

-- determines who is Left.

Using only the wire, get as much of the middle as high as you can and put
the last 20 or so feet of the antenna anywhere you can as high as you can
get it. Most of the radiation of a dipole is from the center part of the
antenna.

Try to keep the angle at the center as large as you can and not less than 90
to 120 degrees if possiable.

Old July 24th 11, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , Eagle
wrote:

My tower is in the center of my lot and is 60 feet at the peak, and is
40 feet to both ends of the lot.

Eagle-

A quick calculation suggests you could put up a 144 foot inverted V
dipole with no other bends. You could elevate the ends or lower the
center to fit your antenna.

Fred
K4DII
Old July 24th 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/23/2011 1:45 PM, Eagle wrote:
Thanks,
73, W6IML

--
War does not Determine who is right
war determines who is Left.

Since you capitalized Left, I assume you mean the political Left.

In that case, you are wrong.

Old July 25th 11, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

A dipole doesn't have to be without bends. Keep those bends fairly
less than 90 degrees at any one point and it should work okay. It
also doesn't have to be suspended exactly at the center feed point,
for instance, if the support isn't exactly 'centered' in your lot.
Lot's of possibilities. May not be the best in the world, or a
'classic' shape, but with a little 'fudging' here and there can
usually be made to 'fit' your available space.
- 'Doc

(Since that saying isn't literal, but a 'play on words', I doubt if
politics have much to do with the capitalizing. But then it could, if
you're of such a bent.)
Old July 25th 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/25/2011 7:46 AM, 'Doc wrote:
A dipole doesn't have to be without bends. Keep those bends fairly
less than 90 degrees at any one point and it should work okay. It
also doesn't have to be suspended exactly at the center feed point,
for instance, if the support isn't exactly 'centered' in your lot.
Lot's of possibilities. May not be the best in the world, or a
'classic' shape, but with a little 'fudging' here and there can
usually be made to 'fit' your available space.
- 'Doc

(Since that saying isn't literal, but a 'play on words', I doubt if
politics have much to do with the capitalizing. But then it could, if
you're of such a bent.)

Rats! I forgot to put the smiley face at the end again.
Old July 26th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
No Name

you could make W + W instead of a V could you not?

75 meter hamstick vs low dipole Buck[_2_] Antenna 17 May 5th 08 05:23 PM
FS 75/40 Meter Dipole Sonny Hood Swap 0 May 14th 07 03:14 PM
FS 75/40 Meter Dipole Sonny Hood Antenna 0 May 14th 07 03:13 PM
20 Meter Dipole - instant DX!!! Radio TexMex Antenna 3 February 25th 06 10:49 PM
20 Meter Dipole - instant DX!!! Radio TexMex Shortwave 12 February 22nd 06 08:30 PM