Old May 25th 04, 09:13 AM
Cecil Moore

Wes Stewart wrote:

wrote:
| Aluminum is the most reactive metal.

Really?

Not really. When I was at Texas A&M, someone wrapped a
large lump of sodium in a towel and flushed it down the
john. It blew the plumbing apart.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 26th 04, 01:51 AM
The Masked Marvel

Must have never worked w/ Sodium, NaK (sodium- potassium alloys, usually
liquid phase at room temperature) or Lithium-Aluminum alloys. Never had the
pleasure to work w/ pure Li but I'd guess it is entertaining to say the
least.

Aluminum is quite reactive, fortunately aluminum oxide is quite stable, and
usually forms quickly, quietly and uneventfully.

Scotchbrite pads would be better than steel wool to clean it up.

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

[snip]

Old May 26th 04, 03:55 AM
Brian Kelly

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Wes Stewart wrote:

wrote:
| Aluminum is the most reactive metal.

Really?

Not really. When I was at Texas A&M, someone wrapped a
large lump of sodium in a towel and flushed it down the
john. It blew the plumbing apart.

A couple of us Juniors in chem lab did the deed in high school in
1954. Didn't take out any hardware but it took the janitors a week to
clean the ceilings. Fortunately there was nobody "Smokin' In The Boy's
Room" . .
Old May 26th 04, 09:41 PM
J999w

Maybe this post was the inspiration for the one on rec.radio.misc from a guy
looking for a lump of sodium !

jw
K9RZZ