Old May 22nd 04, 09:24 PM
blair thompson

Default Painting the antenna

I'm certain this question must have been dealt with before,
but I recently acquired a Cushcraft R5 vertical which looks a bit
weather-beaten.

I was wondering whether, if I aerosol-sprayed the aluminum,
elements, with an appropriate color, it might impair the performance
of what is already a compromise antenna. I know radio waves don't care
about appearance, but I would like to "tart it up" a bit.

Thanks for any information.
73
Blair VE7HHH
Old May 22nd 04, 10:30 PM
J999w

Good question.

Personally, I'd rather buff it up with steel wool, a wire wheel, and
scotchbright pads. Shouldn't take that long. YOu'd have to clean it up in order
to paint it anyway.

Certainly, be careful in your choice of paint.

jw
K9RZZ
Old May 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
G.Beat

"blair thompson" wrote in message
I'm certain this question must have been dealt with before,
but I recently acquired a Cushcraft R5 vertical which looks a bit
weather-beaten.

I was wondering whether, if I aerosol-sprayed the aluminum,
elements, with an appropriate color, it might impair the performance
of what is already a compromise antenna. I know radio waves don't care
about appearance, but I would like to "tart it up" a bit.

Thanks for any information.
73
Blair VE7HHH

Blair,

John Tait, EI7BA has a good web page on the Cushcraft R5/R7 antenna
http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/r7_vertical.htm

My preference for aluminum is NOT to paint it. Shiny aluminum can not exist
long in an
oxygen environment without developing a dull gray patina (reaction of AL
with O2).
This patina is conductive.

I do not like to use steel wool (dissimilar metal abrasives) and any small
iron/steel particles
left on the antenna will rust (brown).

I usually use a scotchbrite-type pad ... a very mild lye (sodium hydroxide)
in a well ventilated area AND plenty of water.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...basic_sod.html
CAS Registry Number for sodium hydroxide is 1310-73-2. This number is
assigned by the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) in the United States and is
used as a unique identifier number world-wide.

Once the aluminum is shiny, wash the aluminum well to remove remaining NaOH.

Dry and then apply a clear finish to preserve the shiny. The clear finish
can not be used electrical and RF conductivity is desired (inside
compression fittings of sections).

IF you desire to paint any fiberglass on the antenna, there are a number of
products for the auto and marine industry for

that application.

Greg, w9gb

Old May 22nd 04, 11:18 PM
G.Beat

"blair thompson" wrote in message
I'm certain this question must have been dealt with before,
but I recently acquired a Cushcraft R5 vertical which looks a bit
weather-beaten.

I was wondering whether, if I aerosol-sprayed the aluminum,
elements, with an appropriate color, it might impair the performance
of what is already a compromise antenna. I know radio waves don't care
about appearance, but I would like to "tart it up" a bit.

Thanks for any information.
73
Blair VE7HHH

Blair,

Here is another R5/R7 "clean and repair" web site.
http://home.planet.nl/~fhvgeerligs/Ant/R5/onhr5eng.htm

IF you do use steel wool, use a good damp cloth to remove any steel slivers
that
you may get. A very fine emery paper (400 to 600 grit) may be a better
choice for
corrosion areas.

IF you are going to be near a salt-water environment a clear coat should be
used.

Greg
w9gb

Old May 22nd 04, 11:22 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

The Cushcraft manual addresses this --- at URL:
http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/r5.pdf

Since it is in pdf I can't copy it so -- check there
--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"
-------------------------------------

Old May 23rd 04, 01:32 AM
Ed Price

"G.Beat" wrote in message
[...]

Aluminum oxide is conductive?!

Ed
WB6WSN

Old May 23rd 04, 03:54 AM
G.Beat

Blair,

John Tait, EI7BA has a good web page on the Cushcraft R5/R7 antenna
http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/r7_vertical.htm

My preference for aluminum is NOT to paint it. Shiny aluminum can not

exist
long in an
oxygen environment without developing a dull gray patina (reaction of AL
with O2).
This patina is conductive.

Aluminum oxide is conductive?!

Ed
WB6WSN

Ed -

Good catch. Getting ahead of my fingers. To avoid seizing when assembling
the
telescoping elements of your Cushcraft antenna, you should coat the
inner element with PENTROX-A by Burndy. This can be found at any
electrical distributor.
Many Home Depot stores also carry the product.
It is conductive and will avoid seizing between these aluminum elements.

w9gb

Old May 24th 04, 10:47 PM
Steve Nosko

"G.Beat" wrote in message
> [...]

[...snip...] This patina is conductive.

OOPS! Aluminum oxide, or Alumina, is very non- conductive. It is a
ceramic used for as a base high Q circuits at 150 Mhz and above (stripline
and microstrip). It is also what is grown on the surface of "anodized"
aluminum in the anodization process. It is also why aluminum is so hard to
solder. The oxide forms immediately on contact with air. Aluminum is the
most reactive metal.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old May 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:47:33 -0500, "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

[snip]

| Aluminum is the most reactive metal.

Really?

Old May 25th 04, 04:11 AM
greg z

Aluminum is the
most reactive metal.

Damn, I thought Na was.
Boy ya sure learn a lot on these groups.
WG8Z
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true