Old May 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
dada

Default Antenna support ?

Hi.
I have been thinking of making an antenna support (for center of dipole,
support of Jpole, etc)

Was thinking of using 3 4x4 pressure treated lumber 12 foot lengths.

Put them in cement 4 inces aprt (cement will be approx 4x4x4 feet.
Put 3 vertical 4x4 into cement about 2 feet.
At top of 4x4, create a pivot point, and add 2 4x4s between the other 3.

Add another at the top between the two, overlapping the 3 and 2 and 2
and 1 4x4 by about 2 feet.
Using 12 foot 4x4 that would give me about 30 feet.
Will this work ? Would it stand without guying ?
I plan to make this a tilt over at the top of the lower 3 4x4s, maybe
extending the
next tier of 2 4x4s with somthing on their bottoms to give more leverage
for raising.

Am I nuts ? (well.... I already know the anser to that... but will this
work ?

Thanks & 73
Jow, WB2JQT, Newark Valley, NY

Old May 23rd 04, 03:59 AM
G.Beat

"dada" wrote in message

[...]

IF you find an older ARRL Antenna handbook, they routinely showed the
construction of a 30 to 40 foot center support
for an inverted "V" using 2x4 dimensional lumber, and base and guy wires.

w9gb

Old May 23rd 04, 05:41 AM
J999w

4x4's?

Man, if you guy that thing, you could probably put a tribander on it !

:^]

jw
K9RZZ
Old May 23rd 04, 02:59 PM
dada

J999w wrote:

4x4's?

Man, if you guy that thing, you could probably put a tribander on it !

:^]

jw
K9RZZ

Yeah... that's the kicker. I don't want to guy it.

Guy supportsa get in the way of stuff like moving the lawn, and I'd have
to situate the mast in a different location than I would want.

Thanks for the ideas.
73 joe
WB2JQT

Old May 23rd 04, 04:56 PM
Cecil Moore

dada wrote:

J999w wrote:
Man, if you guy that thing, you could probably put a tribander on it !

Yeah... that's the kicker. I don't want to guy it.

Use two of them at 90 degrees?

Old May 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
zeno

If you wanted to get fancy you could maybe use this technique:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0309

Bill K6TAJ

Old May 24th 04, 04:14 AM
dada

Cecil Moore wrote:

dada wrote:

J999w wrote:
Man, if you guy that thing, you could probably put a tribander on it !

Yeah... that's the kicker. I don't want to guy it.

Use two of them at 90 degrees?

Two guys ? or 2 supports ?

Thanks
Joe WB2JQT

Old May 24th 04, 05:21 AM
Cecil Moore

dada wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Use two of them at 90 degrees?

Two guys ? or 2 supports ?

Two supports. Four 2x4's connected at the top and
bent outward at the bottom.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 24th 04, 05:30 AM
dada

Cecil Moore wrote:

dada wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Use two of them at 90 degrees?

Two guys ? or 2 supports ?

Two supports. Four 2x4's connected at the top and
bent outward at the bottom.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Seems like it would be tough to make that tiltable.

Thanks.

Joe
WB2JQT

Old May 24th 04, 05:34 AM
Cecil Moore

dada wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Two supports. Four 2x4's connected at the top and
bent outward at the bottom.

Seems like it would be tough to make that tiltable.

The upper half could be hinged. That's the way I designed
my present supports.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp