Old May 31st 04, 06:07 PM
Adair Winter

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
RG213 is WW2 technology. You are better of with Times LMR400, Belden 9913,
or CPX1318.

Tam/WB2TT

don't quote me on this but some commercial guys put up a run of LMR400
(don't remember the legenth but was 200-300ft) and even this the antenna
gain it was a negitive db number at the top.. this was at 450mhz.
so i know we are talking about a long run there but i still don't think
LMR400 is great..

Adair

Old May 31st 04, 06:37 PM
Cecil Moore

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:
And, do you want to trust factory installed cheap connectors?

Installed by minimum wage workers?

Old May 31st 04, 06:52 PM
Gary S.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:37:31 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:
And, do you want to trust factory installed cheap connectors?

Installed by minimum wage workers?

Who are judged by speed, not quality?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old May 31st 04, 07:26 PM
Bob Miller

wrote:

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:
And, do you want to trust factory installed cheap connectors?

Installed by minimum wage workers?

Who are judged by speed, not quality?

Well, the average ham with a mighty 40-watt soldering iron and rusty
pliers isn't going to do much better. At least the minimum wage guys
are probably making cables with good tools -- 120-watt or better
Weller irons with 1/2" tips, etcetera...

Bob
k5qwg

Old May 31st 04, 07:31 PM
Jack Twilley

Old May 31st 04, 09:32 PM
Ralph Mowery

don't quote me on this but some commercial guys put up a run of LMR400
(don't remember the legenth but was 200-300ft) and even this the antenna
gain it was a negitive db number at the top.. this was at 450mhz.
so i know we are talking about a long run there but i still don't think
LMR400 is great..

Adair

If you don't think lmr 400 is great, what do you think is that is in the
same size ,type, price range ? As far as I know it and the 9913 type have
the lowest loss for the nominal 1/2 inch size flexiable coax.

There is some other coax types such as lmr 600 (think that is the number)
that is some what larger and takes other more expensive connectors than the
more comman types of pl259 or type N connectors.

Old May 31st 04, 09:39 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Adair Winter" wrote in message

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
RG213 is WW2 technology. You are better of with Times LMR400, Belden

9913,
or CPX1318.

Tam/WB2TT

don't quote me on this but some commercial guys put up a run of LMR400
(don't remember the legenth but was 200-300ft) and even this the antenna
gain it was a negitive db number at the top.. this was at 450mhz.
so i know we are talking about a long run there but i still don't think
LMR400 is great..

Adair

Adair,
You can get slightly different numbers from different sources, but from the
CableXperts chart, the loss in 300 feet at 450 MHz would be 15.6 db for 213,
8.4 db for 9913, and 8.1 db for LMR400. For comparison, garden variety RG8
foam is 14.1 db, and 1/2 inch Heliax 4.5 db. Clearly, none is acceptable
without an antenna mounted amplifier.

Tam/WB2TT

Old June 1st 04, 12:20 AM
The Masked Marvel

1ft, 3ft, 6ft, 10ft, 25 ft, 50ft, 100ft would perhaps be considered standard
(=often stocked). Still if you can get made to order instead then why not?

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
"Old Ed" verbositized:

Hi -

Just curious: Do you know of any (reasonably priced) vendor that
offers 9913 conveniently made up in standard lengths, with connectors?
(CPX1318 is available in that form.)

WHAT is a Standard Length?

And, do you want to trust factory installed cheap connectors?

Even if coax comes with connectors, I take those off and install my
own, so I know it was done right and will last.

TTUL
Gary

Old June 1st 04, 08:09 PM
Adair Winter

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
Adair,
You can get slightly different numbers from different sources, but from

the
CableXperts chart, the loss in 300 feet at 450 MHz would be 15.6 db for

213,
8.4 db for 9913, and 8.1 db for LMR400. For comparison, garden variety RG8
foam is 14.1 db, and 1/2 inch Heliax 4.5 db. Clearly, none is acceptable
without an antenna mounted amplifier.

Tam/WB2TT

I agree, none of those are great numbers by any means. i honestly don't
remember the specifics of it all, it might have been 800Mhz at 100 ft.. i
just know that I whoever had put it up wasn't impressed with it.. (didnt'
live up the posted specs) and i do believe the loss was verified with an
IFR..
anyway.. i prolly should have kept my mouth shut not knowing everything in
detail.

Adair - kd5dyp

Old June 2nd 04, 12:03 AM
Hal Rosser

I respect your opinion, but the question did not say 'multiband' antenna.
I used belden 300-ohm twinlead for 2-meters because I had a long run to the
top of a tree on the other side of the yard. The specs showed it to be
low-loss at 2-meters. The cost was affordable - much less than low-loss
coax.
So I used a u-bent half-wave piece of coax on each end and a 1/4-wave of
75-ohm coax with it - and it performed very well in the real world and the
impedence match was good.
I even had the project published in the Antenna Compendium a few yrs back.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
Parallel-line can be excellent for power distribution and phasing
*within* a stacked array. I've used it on the moonbounce array at
432MHz, in a wet climate, but those were short, straight lines that are
self-supporting with mostly air insulation - a completely different

thing.

Given a single dipole, multi-band antenna, parallel transmission line
is just about the only choice. The 50 ohm SWR on a one-wavelength
dipole is about 100:1. The 500 ohm SWR on a one-wavelength dipole is
about 10:1. Under those circumstances, it is no contest.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

---