Old May 30th 04, 04:30 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Rob" wrote in message
I am finally going to put up a VHF antenna for 2 meter and another antenna
for 70 cm.

What is type of coax should I use? Rg213? Or will RG213 be too lossy?

Recommendations please...

Rob

RG213 is WW2 technology. You are better of with Times LMR400, Belden 9913,
or CPX1318.

Tam/WB2TT

Old May 30th 04, 08:48 PM
Cecil Moore

Hamguy wrote:
I vote for the Belden 9913.

You must live in a dry climate.

Old May 30th 04, 09:13 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Hamguy wrote:
I vote for the Belden 9913.

You must live in a dry climate.

Cecil,
I don't think they sell the water pipe any more. I have the CPX stuff on
432, 9913 for 6m inside, and LMR400 if somebody else is paying for it.

Tam

Old May 31st 04, 06:07 PM
Adair Winter

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
RG213 is WW2 technology. You are better of with Times LMR400, Belden 9913,
or CPX1318.

Tam/WB2TT

don't quote me on this but some commercial guys put up a run of LMR400
(don't remember the legenth but was 200-300ft) and even this the antenna
gain it was a negitive db number at the top.. this was at 450mhz.
so i know we are talking about a long run there but i still don't think
LMR400 is great..

Adair

Old May 31st 04, 09:32 PM
Ralph Mowery

don't quote me on this but some commercial guys put up a run of LMR400
(don't remember the legenth but was 200-300ft) and even this the antenna
gain it was a negitive db number at the top.. this was at 450mhz.
so i know we are talking about a long run there but i still don't think
LMR400 is great..

Adair

If you don't think lmr 400 is great, what do you think is that is in the
same size ,type, price range ? As far as I know it and the 9913 type have
the lowest loss for the nominal 1/2 inch size flexiable coax.

There is some other coax types such as lmr 600 (think that is the number)
that is some what larger and takes other more expensive connectors than the
more comman types of pl259 or type N connectors.

Old May 31st 04, 09:39 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Adair Winter" wrote in message

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
RG213 is WW2 technology. You are better of with Times LMR400, Belden

9913,
or CPX1318.

Tam/WB2TT

don't quote me on this but some commercial guys put up a run of LMR400
(don't remember the legenth but was 200-300ft) and even this the antenna
gain it was a negitive db number at the top.. this was at 450mhz.
so i know we are talking about a long run there but i still don't think
LMR400 is great..

Adair

Adair,
You can get slightly different numbers from different sources, but from the
CableXperts chart, the loss in 300 feet at 450 MHz would be 15.6 db for 213,
8.4 db for 9913, and 8.1 db for LMR400. For comparison, garden variety RG8
foam is 14.1 db, and 1/2 inch Heliax 4.5 db. Clearly, none is acceptable
without an antenna mounted amplifier.

Tam/WB2TT

Old June 1st 04, 08:09 PM
Adair Winter

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
Adair,
You can get slightly different numbers from different sources, but from

the
CableXperts chart, the loss in 300 feet at 450 MHz would be 15.6 db for

213,
8.4 db for 9913, and 8.1 db for LMR400. For comparison, garden variety RG8
foam is 14.1 db, and 1/2 inch Heliax 4.5 db. Clearly, none is acceptable
without an antenna mounted amplifier.

Tam/WB2TT

I agree, none of those are great numbers by any means. i honestly don't
remember the specifics of it all, it might have been 800Mhz at 100 ft.. i
just know that I whoever had put it up wasn't impressed with it.. (didnt'
live up the posted specs) and i do believe the loss was verified with an
IFR..
anyway.. i prolly should have kept my mouth shut not knowing everything in
detail.

Adair - kd5dyp