Old June 6th 12, 07:25 AM
Junior Member

Location: I live in Narre Warren near Melbourne
Default adding WARC bands to an old Wilson SY2 tribander question

After an interesting weekend working DX on 17 meters using a homebrew 5 band vertical antenna, I had a thought....... how much better would it be to have a 2 or 3 element yagi on 17 and maybe 12 as well.

So here is the plan, either open sleeve feed the 17 and 12 meter driven elements by close coupling it to the trapped driven element of my old Wilson SY 2 tribander that is at 50 feet above the ground. Or build a open sleeve fed 17/12 meter 2 el yagi and position it on the same boom as the tribander and run a separate feeder to the 17 meter driven element thus allowing greater separation of the new elements from the original tribander elements.

I have looked around for generic trapped tribander models (MMANT-GAL) but have found nothing. I am new to antenna modeling, but have read that trapped triband yagis are difficult to model.

Is there any experience on the forum with this type of modification of an existing tribander and if so what were the results like.

I have a fair stock of aluminium to make the new elements from, so the project will cost me not much than the time I invest in it.

I am not interested in buying an all singing 5 band optibeam or StepIr antenna, I would like to increase my performance on 17 and possibly 12 meters without degrading my performance on 20, 15 and 10 too much. I also suffer from short arms and deep pocket syndrome.

Your thoughts (and sensible responses) are appreciated.

Mike VK3XL
__________________
Mike
VK3XL
Old August 16th 16, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

--
VK3XL hi mike my names is carlos k5otd i like to know is you have the manual for the antenna wilson sy-2 im looking for the manual thanks 73 of k5otd

Old August 16th 16, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 21:28:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 1:25:59 AM UTC-5, VK3XL wrote:
-- snip --

VK3XL hi mike my names is carlos k5otd i like to know is you have the manual for the antenna wilson sy-2 im looking for the manual thanks 73 of k5otd

Another google grooper replying to a 4+ year old posting.
Old August 23rd 16, 03:31 AM
Junior Member

Location: I live in Narre Warren near Melbourne

Hi Carlos, I dont think I was able to locate a system 2 manual but I did find a system 1 manual. It is a 4 element version. I will see if I can dig it up.
__________________
Mike
VK3XL
Old August 23rd 16, 03:37 AM
Junior Member

Location: I live in Narre Warren near Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK3XL View Post
Hi Carlos, I dont think I was able to locate a system 2 manual but I did find a system 1 manual. It is a 4 element version. I will see if I can dig it up.
Here is a link to the Sy 1 manual http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/wilson/sy1
Mike
VK3XL

Add WARC Bands - 12M and 17M to Hustler 4-BTV, 5-BTV, or 6-BTV Charlie General 0 November 8th 05 04:22 AM
WARC Bands Dipole KU4YP Antenna 2 March 25th 05 02:29 PM
TS820 WARC BANDS Greg Milligan Equipment 8 November 12th 03 04:07 AM
TS820 WARC BANDS DAVE Equipment 0 November 10th 03 11:34 PM
WTB: Mosley TA-33 Jr w/Warc Bands Doug Yarnold Swap 0 October 17th 03 02:10 AM