Old October 29th 12, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Radio Guide?????

On another list, populated by people with good guessing skills, poor memories
and so on, the question of where did the RG numbers come from?

The most popular answer told with the most auhtority is that RG stands
for "Radio Guide", as a device, the predecessor to wave guides.

I was under the impression, and may have read from a better source that it
does indeed stand for Radio Guide, but that was a tile of a book.

Is that the case, are we all wrong?

If it is from the title of a book, does anyone have a link to, or can send
me a (scanned?) copy of it?

TIA,

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)

Old October 29th 12, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

On another list, populated by people with good guessing skills, poor memories
and so on, the question of where did the RG numbers come from?

The most popular answer told with the most auhtority is that RG stands
for "Radio Guide", as a device, the predecessor to wave guides.

I was under the impression, and may have read from a better source that it
does indeed stand for Radio Guide, but that was a tile of a book.

Is that the case, are we all wrong?

Geoff-

One problem I've found when researching old information on the internet,
is that history appears to have started with the internet's invention.
There is a lot of old printed data that may never be typed into
machine-readable form unless someone needs it.

This is the first time I've heard this explanation of RG. It was my
understanding that RG was a relatively arbitrary military designation.
You will find other designations related to Co-ax connectors such as UG.
I'd look for older military documents that listed various other
designations, such as ARC-5, BC-459, et cetera, where each letter has a
meaning related to the equipment's use.

I doubt that "guide" was used prior to microwaves. Co-ax has two
conductors. A waveguide has a single "conductor": its inside wall. In
other words, it appears to guide the energy rather than conduct it.

Fred
K4DII
Old October 30th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:19:05 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

On another list, populated by people with good guessing skills, poor memories
and so on, the question of where did the RG numbers come from?

The most popular answer told with the most auhtority is that RG stands
for "Radio Guide", as a device, the predecessor to wave guides.

I was under the impression, and may have read from a better source that it
does indeed stand for Radio Guide, but that was a tile of a book.

Is that the case, are we all wrong?

If it is from the title of a book, does anyone have a link to, or can send
me a (scanned?) copy of it?

The current consensus is that it means "Radio Guide" and that it was a
big heavy printed book called "Army-Navy List of Preferred Cables" as
part of MIL-HDBK-216. The problem is that nobody I can find has ever
seen such a book or offered a scanned image of at least one page.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433989/rg11-compression-connector-installation#post_22497621
Note that the book was dated in the early 1960's. I believe coax
cable was in use with the RG designation long before 1960. Methinks
the whole thing is rubbish.

2nd best is "Radio Grade", which simply means that it's suitable for
use on a radio. That begs the question why it would be necessary to
even have such a designation, making that rather improbable.

My guess(tm) is that it's someone's initials or a combination of the
last names of the draftsmen that were charged with documenting the
cables. Coax cable was invented at AT&T by Lloyd Espenschied and
Herman Affel in about 1928 or 1929, a patent issued in 1931, and
commercialized in 1941. My guess(tm) is that the RG designation
appeared somewhat after commercialization and sales to the military
during WWII.

Original coax cable patent.
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=1835031

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 31st 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In Press Jones (N8UG) Wirebook IV, he writes "Cables used at radio
frequencies and manufactured for the government in this country have
identified and classified with the "RG" legend since the 1940s.
R = Radio Frequency
G = Government
8 = an example of the sequential number assigned to the government
approval, thus, RG8/U
U = Universal Specification

.... unquote

Bob
k5qwg

Old October 31st 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

There's evidence that Oliver Heaviside patented a new arrangement of two
conductors that would include co-axial in 1880, in a British patent numbered
1407. I haven't found a FOC source for downloading a copy of that patent
but there's reference to it on the web (e.g. by Googling 'heaviside coaxial
cable patent'). Google Books has 'Oliver Heaviside: The life, work and
times of an electrical genius of the Victorian age' in which Page xvi
refers. I didn't spot any reference to such prior art in the AT&T patent
but, of course, they may have had no knowledge of something patented across
the pond 51 years earlier ... particularly before the advent of under-sea
co-axial cables!

However, where I used to work we had an extensive set of transcriptions of
the work of Heaviside (Heaviside. O. Electromagnetic theory. Benn Brothers
Ltd., London, 1922) and when I tried to research Heaviside's condition for a
distortionless line (G/C = R/L) I was bogged down by an awful lot of waffle
and found it impossible to determine what he actually meant by
'distortionless' - some say absence of dispersion, I thought absence of a
limited frequency response. So, sacriligeous as it may seem, I wonder if
the US patent is actually the first one about co-axial conductors that
anyone other than the patentee actually understood!

Chris (cynic)