Old August 8th 03, 09:58 PM
Javier Henderson

Default Oil for dummy loads

I got a Heathkit Cantenna recently, sans oil.

Where do I find transformer oil? The few industrial suppliers in my
area (Monterey, CA) want to sell me drums of the stuff. I only need
a gallon...

Is motor oil OK to use?

73,
-jav w6vms
Old August 8th 03, 10:08 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Jav -- asked many times before -- for the answers go to Groups Google.com
http://groups.google.com/

Search for Oil For Cantenna or Oil For Dummy Load

Mineral Oil works well for me.

Old August 8th 03, 10:18 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
I got a Heathkit Cantenna recently, sans oil.

Where do I find transformer oil? The few industrial suppliers in my
area (Monterey, CA) want to sell me drums of the stuff. I only need
a gallon...

Is motor oil OK to use?

73,
-jav w6vms

I would NOT use motor oil.

I would suggest mineral oil if you can't find transformer oil (used to
have PCBs in it, but I believe they've been banned).

Carl - wk3c

Old August 8th 03, 11:10 PM
Michael Melland

Your local power company has it. Generally at their transformer maintenance
shop.... I got 2 gallons which will last me a lifetime free. They buy it by
the rail tanker and said the cost to figure out what to charge for 1 - 2
gals was more then it was worth grin. They use the stuff in transformers.
It's highly refined mineral oil and has anti oxidation additives etc. so
it's not "just" mineral oil. There are several makers and brand names but
the stuff I got is made by Shell and is called Shell Diala (apparently named
ala dialectric oil).

Mike, W9WIS

Old August 9th 03, 12:25 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

This came up about a month ago. Several people mentioned that they are using
automatic transmission fluid.

Tam/WB2TT

Old August 9th 03, 02:32 AM
Dan/W4NTI

DO NOT USE MOTOR OIL. DO NOT USE TRANSFORMER OIL.

Use MINERAL OIL ONLY. It is fine for 'normal' Amateur radio powerlevels.
However it WILL cook a bit at 1300 watts if you keep it up a while.

You can get it at a standard drug store.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 9th 03, 02:24 PM
Bob Miller

On 08 Aug 2003 13:58:57 -0700, Javier Henderson
wrote:

I got a Heathkit Cantenna recently, sans oil.

Where do I find transformer oil? The few industrial suppliers in my
area (Monterey, CA) want to sell me drums of the stuff. I only need
a gallon...

Is motor oil OK to use?

73,
-jav w6vms

I used drug store mineral oil in my Cantenna. Worked fine for 100
watts, but kind of expensive, buying it by the pint :-)

MFJ sells a gallon of transformer oil, by itself (they also sell their
version of the Cantenna). Check their website.

Bob
k5qwg

Old August 9th 03, 03:49 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message news:fjUYa.31252$ff.5358@fed1read01...
Jav -- asked many times before -- for the answers go to Groups Google.com
http://groups.google.com/

I don,t fully understand why motor oil should not be used
in a dummy load! I need to make one so I can calibrate
one of my instruments. I intend to use one of the uptodate
gallon paint cans that has a PTFE liner and solder the lid on.
Since we now have the means to use low wattage signals for
tuning up purposes there is obviously no reason to store it
in the shack . So what really is the problem with using
available oil instead of emulating the aproach of industrial
transformers or regurgitating old thoughts ?
Art

Old August 9th 03, 05:02 PM
K9SQG

Mineral oil from the drugstore works just fine, is easy to get, and is
inexpensive. BUT keep the dummy load in a small plastic pail/pan. When it
overheats, it vents to the top and then down the sides.
Old August 10th 03, 05:21 AM
Jimmy

Figured yiu have enough advice on the oil so here is my story.
I had a cantenna that set beneath my bech for about seven years. One day I
sat down at the bench and felt oil all over the floor. The bottom of the can
had rusted out. After procurring a new paint can I tinned the outside of the
can with solder. New can has lasted 18 years so far without any sign of
rust. However it has never been on a bare concrete floor either.