Old March 25th 13, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Using an active antenna as a passive antenna... is it a good idea?

Hello all,
This question clearly says that RF is not my strong suit.
Can I use an active antenna as a passive antenna simply by not supplying power to it?

Thank you,

Old March 25th 13, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:49:03 -0700 (PDT), Amer
wrote:

This question clearly says that RF is not my strong suit.
Can I use an active antenna as a passive antenna simply by not supplying power to it?

No. There isn't enough capacitive coupling through the unpowered
amplifier to provide a useful signal. You'll need to supply power to
get the amplifier inside the antenna to do its job. Even if you could
get enough signal, the purpose of the amplifier is to compensate for
the coaxial cable loss. The loss of RG-175 coax is fairly high at
1.5GHz, so any usable length of coax will require an amplifier in the
antenna in order to function.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 25th 13, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Amer schrieb:
Hello all,
This question clearly says that RF is not my strong suit.
Can I use an active antenna as a passive antenna simply by not supplying power to it?

Of course you can! But you'll be disappointed as to performace/
sensitivity of the antenna. I'm convinced a simple wire which is a
few feet long will be a better choice.

HTH

Reinhard