Old June 19th 04, 07:35 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Default Dr. Vincent's DLM antenna...

In 14 June EE Times on page 55 we find an article on a new concept in
"miniaturized" antennas following are a few titilating quotes which I have
excerpted from the article. The article may be available from the EE Times
WWW site: http://www.eet.com.

----------------------------

"University researcher calls distributed load monopole a radical take on old
ideas"

"A four year skunk works effort at the University of Rhode Island in
Kingston has cut the size of an antenna by as much as one third for any
frequency from the kHz to the GHz range" Using conventional components..."

"I've been able to put a combination of them [old ideas] together to create
a revolutionary way of building antennas. It uses basically a helix plus a
load coil"

"a completely planar design is less than a third the size of today's cell
phone antennas"

"And those 300 fiot tall antennas for the 900 kHz AM band that dominate the
skylines would only have to be 80 feet high"

"When looking at these antennas, you pretty much have to forget everything
you ever knew about antennas and keep an open mind, because some of the
things I have done are vey radical"

"I reduce the inductive loading that is normally required to resonate the
antenna by as much as 75%... by utilizing the distibuted capacitance around
the antenna"

"it's a two dimensional helix"

"the current at the top of the antenna is 80% of the current at the base"

"Vincent said no existing modeling software could adequately model his
antenna design. So he rolled his own simulation with Mathcad"

"Eight years ago antenna design was 90% black magic and 10% theory, said
Vincent. But now with my design they are 10% black magic and 90% theory"

etc... etc...

----------------------------

Apparently Vincent received the 2004 Outstanding Intellectual Propery Award
from the University of Rhode Island's Research Office, joint applicant for
the patent.

Sounds fantastic I want one of these 90% black magic antennas for myself!

But, it smacks of the "fractal" hype, maybe it's just too good to be true?

The inventor is one Dr. Robert Vincent of the Physics department of the
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI which apparently will share the
"pending" patent with him. Vincent is a radio amateur [No call sign given
in the EE Times article.] and claims he got the idea for his radical new
antenna designs while trying to satisfy his neighbours complaints about the
size of his 140 foot 160 meter antenna and so he ultimately came up with a
46 foot "DLM" antenna that was equally as good.

As usual with EE Times little or no technical detail was given!

Anyone know anything about this DLM antenna.

Comments, thoughts...

--
Peter K1PO
Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL

Old June 19th 04, 09:18 PM
Reg Edwards

Comments, thoughts...

Peter K1PO
Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL

==========================

What continues to amaze me, that in the supposedly most high-tech nation on
Earth, is the high proportion of suckers, amongst them professionals, who
still fall for such stuff.

Even Hertz and Marconi knew better.

Heaviside abandoned the system at a very early age.

Praps its all due to the system still being in the hands of marketing, sales
and advertising departments.

Or have I misunderstood the context?
----
Reg.

Old June 20th 04, 01:23 AM
Mark Keith

Peter O. Brackett wrote:

"I've been able to put a combination of them [old ideas] together to create
a revolutionary way of building antennas. It uses basically a helix plus a
load coil"

Sounds about like the mobile antenna I've been using for 15 years...

"

"And those 300 fiot tall antennas for the 900 kHz AM band that dominate the
skylines would only have to be 80 feet high"

Where have I EHeard this story before....

"When looking at these antennas, you pretty much have to forget everything
you ever knew about antennas and keep an open mind, because some of the
things I have done are vey radical"

Chortle...I think I've heard this line before too.. MK

--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k
Old June 20th 04, 03:13 AM
Mike Coslo

Peter O. Brackett wrote:

In 14 June EE Times on page 55 we find an article on a new concept in
"miniaturized" antennas following are a few titilating quotes which I have
excerpted from the article. The article may be available from the EE Times
WWW site: http://www.eet.com.

----------------------------

"University researcher calls distributed load monopole a radical take on old
ideas"

"A four year skunk works effort at the University of Rhode Island in
Kingston has cut the size of an antenna by as much as one third for any
frequency from the kHz to the GHz range" Using conventional components..."

Okay, the antenna is 66 percent of *some* antenna.....

"I've been able to put a combination of them [old ideas] together to create
a revolutionary way of building antennas. It uses basically a helix plus a
load coil"

That really isn't terribly revolutionary, is it?

"a completely planar design is less than a third the size of today's cell
phone antennas"

So now it's 33 percent of the size? And are all these antennas a third
of the size of todays cell phone antennas?

My point is this is criminally inaccurate writing. Does the good doctor
know that people are writing so poorly about his good work?

"And those 300 fiot tall antennas for the 900 kHz AM band that dominate the
skylines would only have to be 80 feet high"

Which is that... 66 percent, or 33 percent?

"When looking at these antennas, you pretty much have to forget everything
you ever knew about antennas and keep an open mind, because some of the
things I have done are vey radical"

Is this like esp or bending spoones, where if you don't keep an open
mind, it won't work?

If the antenna works, it will work whether we have an oen mind or not.

"I reduce the inductive loading that is normally required to resonate the
antenna by as much as 75%... by utilizing the distibuted capacitance around
the antenna"

A BCB version of this antenna must be something to behold!

"it's a two dimensional helix"

Then it taint an 'elix!

"the current at the top of the antenna is 80% of the current at the base"

"Vincent said no existing modeling software could adequately model his
antenna design. So he rolled his own simulation with Mathcad"

Why? All we have to do is keep an open mind!

"Eight years ago antenna design was 90% black magic and 10% theory, said
Vincent. But now with my design they are 10% black magic and 90% theory"

My final comment about this whole thing is that the whole thing is very
vague, contains a few fundamental contradictions, is written terribly,
and has some first class errors in it.

I'm becoming quite skeptical that this is even a legit website from
URI. Last week it was a technician that was getting the patent, now it
is someone else.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 20th 04, 01:21 PM
'Doc

Mike,
1. All those 'little' things sort of fall through the
bottom of that 'open mind'.

2. The technician was promoted due/do to his accomplishments.

3. Cream ain't the only thing that 'floats to the top'.

- 'Doc

Old June 21st 04, 05:13 AM
Mike Coslo

'Doc wrote:

Mike,
1. All those 'little' things sort of fall through the
bottom of that 'open mind'.

2. The technician was promoted due/do to his accomplishments.

3. Cream ain't the only thing that 'floats to the top'.

hehe, Love that last one, Doc!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 21st 04, 02:55 PM
k4wge

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
'Doc wrote:

Mike,
1. All those 'little' things sort of fall through the
bottom of that 'open mind'.

2. The technician was promoted due/do to his accomplishments.

3. Cream ain't the only thing that 'floats to the top'.

hehe, Love that last one, Doc!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Boxboro 2004 Hamfest Saturday Program

Located at the Holiday Inn
Conference Center,
Boxborough, MA - Exit 28 off Route I-495

09:00 AM A New Approach To Shortened Verticals - Robert Vincent,
Physics Department, URI