RadioBanter

-   -   Make your own T2FD (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1946-make-your-own-t2fd.html)

Richard Clark June 29th 04 08:13 PM

On 29 Jun 2004 11:30:01 -0700, (RHF) wrote:

RC (KB7QHC),

Spoken (written) like a True Amateur, and precicly why most SWLs
ignore what is written in reply to SWL 'type' Antennas questions
by HAMs.

Strange logic to offer that a listener comes here to post a query they
will ignore in anticipation. Rather self serving argument isn't it?

Most SWLs work to get the best signal (cleanest signal and lowest
noise) they can to be able to listen to what they what to hear.

There is nothing in this statement that distinguishes amateur from
listener. Further, it contains absolutely no technical material to
support any sense of this exclusivity of concern. To respond in kind,
you don't even rise to amateur status.

The HAM would hardly ever consider a 'random' wire Antenna;

Now this is a statement that is clearly in error. The archives will
attest to this.

but to the SWL'er the "Random" Wire Antenna 'concept' is a
natural to fill their available space. Power handling, gain
and antenna design characteristics are the focus of the HAM.

As they are no more or less for a listener. If you find some other
motivation, it is strictly your own prejudice.

As far as the AM/MW Loop Antenna's are concerned. For the AM/MW
DX'er these Antenna's perform the best for their size and the
available space that the average Broadcast Listener (BCL) has
for these Medium Wave Band. The SWL'er wants to hear any Radio
Station out there from any direction.

Perhaps you should attend this board more often to learn the
fundamentals. There is no impediment to hearing any Radio Station out
there from any direction with simple verticals. SW sets come with
them you know.

The 'focus' of the SWL'er is simpy different then the Amateur;
and the majority of SWL'ers are Program Listeners who seldom
listen to the HAM Bands.

So why are you posting to an amateur group? Why an antenna group?
You would be better served through your self-imposed limitations by
staying out of the fast lane.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC, WPE0EPH

p.s. if the WPE0EPH is unknown to you, it denotes my having been a
Shortwave listener for 40 years and registered with the Popular
Electronics DX club (as well as a sack full of others from around the
world).

Mark1 June 29th 04 08:48 PM

Richard Clark beweerde :
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:14:57 +0200, Gert-Jan Dam PG0G
wrote:

Op dinsdag 29-6-2004 krabbelde Mark1 op mijn schermpje
'zou u slechts een van de loodglanskristal en kat bakkebaard nodig hebben
om uw hoofdtelefoon aan te drijven'

Ja haha. Lachen zo'n vertaal programma :D

rofl
Mark

Hi OM,

het van het kattenbakkebaard en loodglans kristal is de oude
componenten van de tijddetector. De bakkebaard van de kat is fijne
draad. Het kristal van het loodglans is semiconducting mineraal (waar
de draad raakt en contact met een oxyde opneemt). De twee componenten
maken een diode.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Translation, : it from it cat-sideburn and leadshine cristal is the old
components of the timedetector. The sideburn of the cat is fine thread.

And so on.
So pse remove this group from future postings.

Tam/WB2TT June 29th 04 10:23 PM

wrote:............................................ ..............
So why are you posting to an amateur group? Why an antenna group?
You would be better served through your self-imposed limitations by
staying out of the fast lane.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC, WPE0EPH

p.s. if the WPE0EPH is unknown to you, it denotes my having been a
Shortwave listener for 40 years and registered with the Popular
Electronics DX club (as well as a sack full of others from around the
world).

Richard,
Probably to a lot of people a radio or electronic hobbyist is an "amateur".
Impression I get is that some CBers think so also. From looking at old
literature, the search for the holy grail of a noise free antenna, seems to
back to around T=0. It would help, if the manufacturers of SWL receivers
would add noise blankers in sub $500 radios. I did not see any in the AES
catalog below that price that claimed to have a noise blanker. I won't even
delve on IF filter shape factor.

ps. I can beat your 40 years by about 10.

Tam/WB2TT

John Doty June 29th 04 10:34 PM

Richard Clark wrote:

Antennas have no capacity to reduce Signal to Noise ratios except by
virtue of narrowing lobes to eliminate noise by placing it in a null
(if that is in fact a viable option either in the sense of having a
null, or having a null to a noise source that is not on the same
meridian as the signal of interest).

Not true. You are making the assumption that that the antenna only picks
up radiated modes. Non-radiated electromagnetic modes are also
troublesome, particularly common mode on the transmission line. This
tends to be the way that locally generated noise from household gadgets
gets into an antenna system.

Consider a lamp dimmer that generates 10 mW of RFI, which rides out in
common mode on the mains, finds its way to the power cord of your
transceiver, rides out on the feedline to the antenna, and then couples
back through differential mode to your receiver input. That's not a very
efficient coupling path, so suppose it has a loss of 60 dB. You'll still
get 10 nW to the receiver. This is a lot: even if it's spread over 30
MHz, it's still 10 uV in a 6 kHz channel. That's S6 on my Drake R-8, a
very serious quantity of noise.

On the other hand, if your transmitter puts out 1 kW, 60 dB of loss
means it only delivers 1 mW of RF to the dimmer, an amount unlikely to
interfere with its operation. Reciprocity does not mean *consequences*
are symmetrical.

To this point, you have not offered any particularly receive dominated
issue that is not already a heavily trafficked topic with transmission
antennas.

A deep, steerable null can be extremely useful for reception, but its
not generally useful for transmission.

In fact, the presumption there are unique reception
antennas that are more suitable than their transmission cousins is
simply the artifice of my aforementioned advantage of the RF Gain
control. It has been long established (through the simple act of
purchase power) that receivers have far more gain available than
needed except for the worst of antenna designs (and that has to be an
exceptionally vile design).

Such examples of small loops used for MF are proof positive how poor
an antenna can be, and the RF gain knob resurrecting its pitiful
efficiency.

But for MWDX reception, efficiency simply isn't an important virtue.
Gain is cheap. What matters is the steerable nulls. An efficient
*steerable* MW antenna is enormous and expensive.

This does NOT demonstrate some illusion of superior
receive antenna design; rather it is more smoke and mirrors as an
argument. Inverting the argument, if you had a full sized antenna for
that band, you would only need a galena crystal and cat whisker to
power your hi-Z headset. For DX you would only need a $5 AF
amplifier. The smaller antenna clearly needs more dollars expended to
offset the debilities of the poorer efficiency.

Sensitivity is the cheapest, easiest virtue to put into a receiver.
Essentially all modern receivers have plenty. Indeed, the cheap ones
often overload when presented with an efficient antenna: you have to
spend the dollars to be able to handle the big signals!

Speaking of strawmen, have you ever actually tried DXing with a crystal
radio?

The specious argument
is tailored for the technically effete who would rather push a credit
card across the display counter than build their own cheap solution.
Take heart that this not simply a cheap shot, there are as many Hams
who don't know which end of the soldering iron to pick up either.

I love designing and building antennas: applied physics is fun. But it's
good engineering to go with the strengths of your technology. For my
inverted-L's, I spend a little efficiency (4 dB or so) to get octaves of
effective bandwidth, something that is perhaps of little use to hams,
but is very useful to an SWL in conjunction with the frequency agility
of a modern receiver. 4 dB of efficiency loss is of negligible
consequence at HF and below if your receiver has a decent noise figure.
I've never seen mention of this efficiency/bandwidth tradeoff in the ham
literature, but it's not hard to find in the professional literature.
For details of a specific calculation, see:

http://anarc.org/naswa/badx/antennas/SWL_longwire.html

-jpd

Richard Clark June 30th 04 02:58 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:34:42 -0600, John Doty
wrote:

You are making the assumption that that the antenna only picks
up radiated modes.

I am making no such assumption and all following commentary does
absolutely nothing to separate the concerns of SWLers from Ham
activity.

Non-radiated electromagnetic modes are also
troublesome, particularly common mode on the transmission line. This
tends to be the way that locally generated noise from household gadgets
gets into an antenna system.

Consider a lamp dimmer that generates 10 mW of RFI, which rides out in
common mode on the mains, finds its way to the power cord of your
transceiver, rides out on the feedline to the antenna, and then couples
back through differential mode to your receiver input. That's not a very
efficient coupling path, so suppose it has a loss of 60 dB. You'll still
get 10 nW to the receiver. This is a lot: even if it's spread over 30
MHz, it's still 10 uV in a 6 kHz channel. That's S6 on my Drake R-8, a
very serious quantity of noise.

Let's work with exactly that scenario you offered.

S6 (Calibrated) on my Drake TR-7 is -88dBm - so close to your 10µV to
be indistinguishable. My TS-430 varies from -80dBm to -73dBm. There
is no calibrated S-Meter for my DX-440, but for a $200 SW set, its
sensitivity is -90dBm for a full scale meter indication (about 7dB
range from top to bottom).

All very well and good. Now if we regard this speculation of 10mW (it
is, after all, the epitome of a wild ass guess, isn't it?); then,
let's reverse engineer that 10nW product from 6kHz buckets over the
range of 30MHz to find 50µW which is 23dB below the original power
presumably suppressed 60dB. Well, I have either pencil-whipped you,
or you me, or each other - the numbers don't add up. Hardly matters
given the original specification had no basis in fact.

However, if I return to the original "problem" of noise derived from
household sources; then that is also something I have closely
measured.

Across time, frequency, antennas, and known noise sources I have found
it as low as S1 for my longwire (an antenna supposedly unused by Hams)
to as high as S7 (for that same longwire). My loops, dipoles and
verticals hardly fell outside of this range to present any gilt-edge
design.

With every circuit in the house broken (operating battery power in the
dark), average noise level was either S2 for a vertical, or S1 to S3
for a loop (rather upsetting the voodoo of loops being quiet and
verticals being noisy). When I returned power to the house by stages,
I insured every opportunity of injecting noise by setting dimmers to
their worst position (about 50%). In the low bands, I suffered as
much as S8 noise levels with an average of S5 when the house was full
lit (also including fluorescents) and all noise sources adding to the
cacophony of reception. This was for a loop antenna.

On the other hand, if your transmitter puts out 1 kW, 60 dB of loss
means it only delivers 1 mW of RF to the dimmer, an amount unlikely to
interfere with its operation. Reciprocity does not mean *consequences*
are symmetrical.

This effect of reciprocity has been reported so frequently in this
group so as to negate your premise. We have many queries for how to
solve this problem.

To this point, you have not offered any particularly receive dominated
issue that is not already a heavily trafficked topic with transmission
antennas.

A deep, steerable null can be extremely useful for reception, but its
not generally useful for transmission.

This really goes off the deep edge. Barring loss introduced for the
sake of jimmying the logic, transmitters AND receivers enjoy the GAIN
derived from the introduction of a null not otherwise part of the
characteristic. This is a commonplace of theory and practice. Where
ever you can design or contribute to a null; then this must of
necessity result in an increase in signal outside of its region.
These are all commonplace observations discussed here that are
observable for either Ham or SWL operations. There is NO differential
offered in these observations that separate SWL from Ham activities.

Such examples of small loops used for MF are proof positive how poor
an antenna can be, and the RF gain knob resurrecting its pitiful
efficiency.

But for MWDX reception, efficiency simply isn't an important virtue.

I believe I have said that at least 3 to 5 times already.

Gain is cheap. What matters is the steerable nulls. An efficient
*steerable* MW antenna is enormous and expensive.

Who needs an efficient MW antenna?

This does NOT demonstrate some illusion of superior
receive antenna design; rather it is more smoke and mirrors as an
argument. Inverting the argument, if you had a full sized antenna for
that band, you would only need a galena crystal and cat whisker to
power your hi-Z headset. For DX you would only need a $5 AF
amplifier. The smaller antenna clearly needs more dollars expended to
offset the debilities of the poorer efficiency.

Sensitivity is the cheapest, easiest virtue to put into a receiver.
Essentially all modern receivers have plenty. Indeed, the cheap ones
often overload when presented with an efficient antenna: you have to
spend the dollars to be able to handle the big signals!

All of $20 if you have any technical capacity. Otherwise push the
credit card across the display counter and spend as much as they can
sell you. This argument is like driving your car into the shop to get
the air changed in your tires every 100 miles.

Again, front end overload is a very common complaint offered here by
SWLers who are then advised in how to simply AND cheaply combat this
problem.

Speaking of strawmen, have you ever actually tried DXing with a crystal
radio?

Sure, what is so remarkable about that? Beyond this simple design,
ever hear of a super-Regen receiver? You don't need to spend half a
kilo-buck to get the same sensitivity and filtering is dirt cheap.
How about Q-multipliers? All such topics barely spread the wallet as
much as the illusion of more buttons make a better rig.

I love designing and building antennas: applied physics is fun. But it's
good engineering to go with the strengths of your technology. For my
inverted-L's, I spend a little efficiency (4 dB or so) to get octaves of
effective bandwidth, something that is perhaps of little use to hams,
but is very useful to an SWL in conjunction with the frequency agility
of a modern receiver. 4 dB of efficiency loss is of negligible
consequence at HF and below if your receiver has a decent noise figure.

As I pointed out to Yahoo, if you choose to cripple yourself, then
slide on over to the shoulder and enjoy kicking up dust and rocks as
you travel down the road. a 4dB loss for an inverted L (hardly a SW
invention) is far too simple to remedy to make its suffering a boast
of martyrdom. It is a strange argument to offer that you can't afford
a $20 solution for your $500 set and $2 worth of wire.

I've never seen mention of this efficiency/bandwidth tradeoff in the ham
literature,

You haven't looked. Either contrived, wholly fictional, or accurately
represented, it is part of the stock in trade for selling antennas.
In this group, I would wager its discussion consumes more bandwidth
than bragging about how many QSL cards have been pasted to the wall.

but it's not hard to find in the professional literature.
For details of a specific calculation, see:

http://anarc.org/naswa/badx/antennas/SWL_longwire.html

-jpd

It would do you well to note that this "professional" whom you rely
upon, John Kraus, is one of the most notable Ham Radio Operators
frequently acknowledged and referred to here.

Do you or others have any actual differentiable discussion, or is this
simply an outlet for appoligia for why it isn't worth the strain to
lift a soldering iron when you can bench press a credit card?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC