Old June 6th 13, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 300 ohm twinlead antenna.

Take a length of 300 ohm twinlead. Short the far end, End feed one side of
the close end, and leave the other side disconnected.

What do I have?

I know if I short both ends, I have a wide(er) bandwidth end fed random wire.

Is it still an end fed random wire with an electrical length of twice its
physical length?

Something completely different?

If for example, if I have 10 meters of space, and hang it, will I have
a 20 meter long random wire, which would sort of be a 40 meter band
1/2 wave end fed antenna? Or would I have an odd 10 meter long end
fed antenna (for 20m?)

Can it be switched between the two by adding a shorting switch at the close
end? Open it would be for 40m, and closed for 20?

TIA,

Geoff.

It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!
Old June 6th 13, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:34:04 AM UTC-5, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
What do I have?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folded_unipole_antenna
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com
Old June 6th 13, 10:18 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey S. Mendelson View Post
Take a length of 300 ohm twinlead. Short the far end, End feed one side of
the close end, and leave the other side disconnected.

What do I have?

I know if I short both ends, I have a wide(er) bandwidth end fed random wire.

Is it still an end fed random wire with an electrical length of twice its
physical length?

Something completely different?

If for example, if I have 10 meters of space, and hang it, will I have
a 20 meter long random wire, which would sort of be a 40 meter band
1/2 wave end fed antenna? Or would I have an odd 10 meter long end
fed antenna (for 20m?)

Can it be switched between the two by adding a shorting switch at the close
end? Open it would be for 40m, and closed for 20?

TIA,

Geoff.

It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!
Get yourself a ARRL antenna book
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old June 7th 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message ,
W5DXP writes
On Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:34:04 AM UTC-5, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
What do I have?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folded_unipole_antenna
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

I think what Geoff is describing is not the usual folded unipole (twin
feeder shorted at the top, and at the bottom, one side fed from the TX,
and the other side grounded and/or connected to radials), but rather
twin feeder where the top end is shorted, and at the bottom, one side is
fed from the TX, and the other side is open circuit.
--
Ian
Old June 8th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, June 7, 2013 4:42:13 PM UTC-5, Ian Jackson wrote:
... one side is fed from the TX, and the other side is open circuit.

The 1/4WL folded monopole is resonant with a feedpoint impedance around three times a 1/4WL single-wire monopole. Those two antennas have approximately the same gain.

If one disconnects the folded element's ground connection leaving an open-circuit, the feedpoint reactance becomes extremely high and the antenna loses about 6dB of gain compared to the standard 1/4WL monopole. It looks more like a 1/4WL shorted stub than an antenna.

Old June 8th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message ,
W5DXP writes
On Friday, June 7, 2013 4:42:13 PM UTC-5, Ian Jackson wrote:
... one side is fed from the TX, and the other side is open circuit.

The 1/4WL folded monopole is resonant with a feedpoint impedance around
three times a 1/4WL single-wire monopole. Those two antennas have
approximately the same gain.

If one disconnects the folded element's ground connection leaving an
open-circuit, the feedpoint reactance becomes extremely high and the
antenna loses about 6dB of gain compared to the standard 1/4WL
monopole. It looks more like a 1/4WL shorted stub than an antenna.

I thought something like that would happen. However, because of the
close coupling between them, you might instinctively think that the two
conductors would still simply act as a single conductor, and the feed
impedance would be low (more like a non-folded monopole).

Can't you make a trapped dipole (or whatever) using 300 twin for each
leg, but with sections of one conductor cut out so you form a succession
of 1/4WL shorted stubs (of various lengths) in series, acting as traps
on the various HF bands?
--
Ian
Old June 8th 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

You are thinking about the Lattin Antenna -- there's
lots of info available on the net for it. Instead of a dipole,
you could use one half the dipole as a vertical

Irv VE6BP

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , W5DXP
writes

Old June 8th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Irv Finkleman
writes
[...]

Yup. That's the one. Thanks.
--
Ian
Old June 15th 13, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If the twin-lead portion is lambda/4 x Velocity factor,
and you add sufficient wire to the end to extend the
total length to lambda/4 you will find it gives a
reasonably good match to 52ohm coax. I built one
once. It went halfway up my tower and was then folded off at an angle and
the top end tied to to a fence.
It was cut for 75M and was a remarkable performer.

A chum of mine who DXes the low bands put one
up and really liked it. The antenna is described in Bill
Orr's book "All About Vertical Antennas".

Old July 8th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 6/6/2013 4:18 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson;805681 Wrote:
[...]

I have several different revisions of it but have never run across what
Geoffrey is asking about. Could you please point to an example in the
ARRL Antenna Book? And please give the revision.

Thanks.

tom
K0TAR

twinlead tuning indicators Richard Clark Antenna 17 June 3rd 10 02:00 AM
Twinlead antenna Paul R. Stoetzer Antenna 2 March 5th 06 03:34 PM
300 ohm TV Twinlead Buck Antenna 2 May 13th 05 03:14 PM
twinlead question PDRUNEN Antenna 2 September 3rd 04 08:56 PM
ANTENNA TWINLEAD FEEDER folio Antenna 5 September 2nd 04 03:24 AM