Old June 22nd 04, 12:35 PM
Paul VK3DIP

Default Home Brew Resistive Return Loss/Reflection Coeff/SWR Bridge?

Hi,
I have been trying out a couple of home made resistive bridges to measure
Return Loss/Reflection Coeff/VSWR and have noted that there seems to be a
few basic types and would be interested in collecting a few comments from
others who have more experience with them than I. I should mention that I am
mainly interested in using these at VHF and up so have tended to discount
toroid/current types, and am interested in as wide a usable frequency range
as possible so also have not looked a lot at transmission line style
directional coupler ones either. If anyone has any comments on those
assumptions I would also be interested.

The first and simplest type I have seen in places like the ARRL Antenna
Handbook and places on the web like
http://www.g4wif.fsnet.co.uk/q_tech15.htm
and
http://www.pollak.sulinet.hu/electro/hidak/hidak.htm

These are a basic resistive bridge usually all nominal 50 ohm resistors with
a built in diode detector. The theory/maths behind these is straight forward
and seems pretty obvious by just treating the impedance of the detector as
much higher than the 50 ohms of the rest of the system and just ignoring any
effects from it.

Then there is a variation, the best example of which I have found seems to
be a circuit given be Joe Reisert in his VHF/UHF techniques column in the
old Ham Radio Mag (June or July 1996 I believe) which is basically the same
as those above but has an additional 50 ohm resistor across the centre of
the bridge setting the impedance of the in built diode detector. In the
versions I have built (using surface mount components etc.) this does seem
to work better, or at least be more well behaved, than the more simple ones,
but while I can readily see how this works for detecting balance, the maths
for unbalanced ( ie non 50 ohm load) cases gets quite a bit more difficult.

The final variation is as found in versions such as that of Jim Ford in
September 1997 QST, or as a v/uhf version at
http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/radios/swr-bridge.htm
This variation seems to remove the built in diode detector and replace it
with a 1:1 balun either of the transformer or choke type and then use a
separate external (50 ohm) detector. So mathematically I would think it is
equivalent to the Reisert version, but perhaps there is some advantage to
the explicit balance of the detector.

Any pointers to a theoretical treatment of these last two types, or other
comments would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Paul VK3DIP

Old June 22nd 04, 06:35 PM
Ken Fowler

On 22-Jun-2004, "Paul VK3DIP" wrote:

Hi,
I have been trying out a couple of home made resistive bridges to measure
Return Loss/Reflection Coeff/VSWR and have noted that there seems to be a
few basic types and would be interested in collecting a few comments from
others who have more experience with them than I. I should mention that I am
mainly interested in using these at VHF and up so have tended to discount
toroid/current types, and am interested in as wide a usable frequency range
as possible so also have not looked a lot at transmission line style
directional coupler ones either. If anyone has any comments on those
assumptions I would also be interested.

Take a look at:

http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/

for a description of the VNA - Virtual Network Analyzer.
Old June 22nd 04, 07:00 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Take a look at:

http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/

for a description of the VNA - Virtual Network Analyzer.

That's a VECTOR Network Analyzer, and it's not 2 meter compliant without
narrow band up/down converters and accompanying filters.

W4ZCB

Old June 23rd 04, 12:42 AM
9A4QV Adam

Hello,

I think that I have solution for your question, exactly what you ask, Home
brew Resistive Return Loss....SWR Bridge. The article was written by the
S53MV in Slevenian and Croatian language, so some translation should be done
for you (or you prefer to learn Slavic language HI). The bridge is capable
to measure up to 2.5Ghz without any problem, cheap design and awailable
material for building, can be done in one afternoon.

Well, I think that just shematic and most important the gama/swr/ar/a table
is what you need and the rest you will figure out without any problem.
Ok, I will scan for you just one page and if you are intereste the rest can
be done as well.

Meantime, check this page, almost the same design but with SMD components:
http://www.pollak.sulinet.hu/elektro...dge/how_to.htm

newst_Bc.93601$Sw.26001@attbi_s51...