Old July 5th 04, 04:59 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Default What are the ODDS?

Hi Gang

Last night was the 4th (doh, we all knew that!)

But how many of you woke up this morning with a rocket perched upside
down on top of your tallest antenna?

I have a Diamond triband 2/220/440 antenna up some 60+ feet.
The remains of a finned rocket about 10 to 12 inches tall has managed
to land on top of this antenna, nose down fins up. Right now it's at
the very top, but I'm sure in a few days will probably slide down the
antenna shaft coming into contact with the radials.

Should I worry about this (chemical reactions) or just forget it and
let time and weather take it's toll on the remains?

TTUL - 73+ de Gary - KGØZP

Old July 5th 04, 06:01 PM
Uncle Peter

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
Hi Gang

Last night was the 4th (doh, we all knew that!)

But how many of you woke up this morning with a rocket perched upside
down on top of your tallest antenna?

I have a Diamond triband 2/220/440 antenna up some 60+ feet.
The remains of a finned rocket about 10 to 12 inches tall has managed
to land on top of this antenna, nose down fins up. Right now it's at
the very top, but I'm sure in a few days will probably slide down the
antenna shaft coming into contact with the radials.

Should I worry about this (chemical reactions) or just forget it and
let time and weather take it's toll on the remains?

TTUL - 73+ de Gary - KGØZP

Take a picture quick and send it to QST! They'd probably
publish it as a stray...

pete

Old July 5th 04, 06:39 PM
Howard

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:01:49 -0400, " Uncle Peter"
wrote:

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
Hi Gang

Last night was the 4th (doh, we all knew that!)

But how many of you woke up this morning with a rocket perched upside
down on top of your tallest antenna?

I have a Diamond triband 2/220/440 antenna up some 60+ feet.
The remains of a finned rocket about 10 to 12 inches tall has managed
to land on top of this antenna, nose down fins up. Right now it's at
the very top, but I'm sure in a few days will probably slide down the
antenna shaft coming into contact with the radials.

Should I worry about this (chemical reactions) or just forget it and
let time and weather take it's toll on the remains?

TTUL - 73+ de Gary - KGØZP

Take a picture quick and send it to QST! They'd probably
publish it as a stray...

pete

The picture is a good idea, but please post it so we don't have to
wait for when/if it gets published! I wouldn't worry much about
chemical reaction, the propellant was probably expended though there
are likely trace amounts inside the tube (from the charge that pops
the parachute) and if the burned out engine is still inside the rocket
I doubt it will slide further down your antenna. It will take a while
for the weather to take care of this, so if it is affecting the
antenna's performance you've gotta make the climb ....... but not
before getting a good picture of it!

73 & good luck,
Howard

Old July 5th 04, 10:25 PM
Richard Clark

On 05 Jul 2004 11:59:51 EDT, am (Gary V.
Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

Should I worry about this (chemical reactions)

Warm up a linear and wait for Bastille Day.

Old July 6th 04, 04:13 AM
Gary S.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:13:00 GMT, "Radio Man"
wrote:
"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
Hi Gang

Last night was the 4th (doh, we all knew that!)

But how many of you woke up this morning with a rocket perched upside
down on top of your tallest antenna?

I have a Diamond triband 2/220/440 antenna up some 60+ feet.
The remains of a finned rocket about 10 to 12 inches tall has managed
to land on top of this antenna, nose down fins up. Right now it's at
the very top, but I'm sure in a few days will probably slide down the
antenna shaft coming into contact with the radials.

Should I worry about this (chemical reactions) or just forget it and
let time and weather take it's toll on the remains?

Does the rocket have a "Red Glare"?

Sounds more like a model rocket than a firework. If it is, the
materials may be more weatherproof.

In either case, it doesn't quite seem within normal legal usage near a
residential area.

As said, most likely any propellant is gone, and the main concern
would be physical damage from the wind moving it around.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old July 6th 04, 05:34 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Uncle Peter

GREAT IDEA!

Will Do and stick it on a web page so you can see it!

TTUL
Gary

Old July 6th 04, 05:55 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Wes

I LOVE hearing of rare incidents like that!

I was talking with an OM one night about 10 years ago, he was out in
the Denver area, I don't remember off hand which band we were on, but
in the background he had a 2 meter rig tuned to his local repeater.
It was quiet, no traffic while I was talking with him at all. Then
suddenly, as plain as day we heard a voice on the repeater come in
about mid sentence of a Triple A towtruck driver talking to a stranded
motorist, as the driver read back the license plate for verification,
it was this fellows own car tags, so we paused our conversation so he
could listen to the call, which must have been intermod of some type.

He was gone for a short while, but when he came back to the radio, he
said, darnest thing, my car is in the garage! It was bugging him to
no end, so he paused again to call Triple A. I hung around for about
a half hour waiting for him and was just ready to call it quits when
he gave me a call. That tags were from an adjoining state, but the
irony of the whole thing was, both registered owners had near
identical names. Not spelled the same, but close enough that they
could be mistaken for each other when spoken orally. Dow Einsteen and
Bo Weinstein or something close to those combinations.

I bumped into him on the same band about 3 months later and he was
still talking about it!

TTUL
Gary