Old October 23rd 14, 10:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed.

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
Nor do I have a brother who is a milkman, or one who has
ever been a milkman.

"Have"? Sophistry. He's dead, isn't he?

Old October 23rd 14, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"gareth" wrote in message
But your behaviour and language is as one from the working class and
not as one from the degree-educated minority.

Eh? By "working class" do you mean anyone that works for their living? That
infers your "degree-educated minority" are all unemployed.
--
;-)
..

Old October 23rd 14, 11:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Clod's Conscience" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:49:25 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
If someone has a big nose, I would have thought that shouting "You've
got a big nose!" at them would fairly be classed as 'abuse' (despite
being true).

So if I told Gareth he had a fat arse and a face like a bulldog chewing a
wasp, it would be abuse?

Abusive to bulldogs, maybe. (and wasps)
--
;-)
..

Old October 23rd 14, 11:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"gareth" wrote in message
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
Nor do I have a brother who is a milkman, or one who has
ever been a milkman.

"Have"? Sophistry. He's dead, isn't he?

Brian, is it possible that you still have a chip on your shoulder about
being sent to
a technical school for chippies and blacksmiths, and not to a grammar school
for the intellectually elite, which is why you lash out with personal
remarks in
every post in every NG that you frequent?

Old October 23rd 14, 11:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 10/22/2014 1:06 PM, gareth wrote:
"John S" wrote in message

In what way have I been abusive, Gareth?

See below.

It seems to me that you are a lost and lonely soul and are seeking some
attention.

I don't believe that statement is considered abuse.

Old October 23rd 14, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:33:03 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

"Wayne" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:36:31 +0100, FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message ...
Try this ...

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...es/node94.html

This is one of a series of lectures by a prof at Texas Uni.

In fact, if you go right back to the home page of
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching,
this leads to a most excellent revision of the necessary EM
theories, and,
briefly glancing thereto, the post grad stuff even exceeds my
current interest and knowledge.

I'm fairly sure now that this area is where I came across the
governing formula that I alluded to recently in this NG when doing
my own revision previously in 2005, although the URLs and lecture
node numbers have changed since then.

When I get time, I'll browse through the links.

However, back to your original assertion that your theory has short
antennas as being inefficient compared with longer antennas (I'm
assuming you are talking half wave dipoles and such).

If 10 watts is delivered to a short antenna, where does it go if it
is not radiated just as well as 10 watts delivered to a long antenna?

Dissipated as heat?

# Probably proportionately more will be lost as heat as a very short #
antenna will be a low impedance, therefore current, driven job and I
sq*R # losses within the antenna will play their part. Apart from those
# additional losses, it should radiate all that is left, ... I think.

Actually no. The loss resistance tends to be dwarfed by the radiation
resistance, so losses in the antenna are not the problem.

I think you're missing the point I was making. That is; as antennas
become shorter and shorter, an ever increasing amount is lost as I^2 R.
In normal antennas you are correct that RR swamps I^2 R but as antennas
get shorter and shorter I^ R becomes a much larger factor as the
intrinsic antenna impedance drops and drops whilst the current rises and
rises.

The problem is matching. A small antenna has a narrow BW so you tend to
need a matching system. That is where the losses will be, plus in any
feeder.

Of course, if you only need a narrow BW and can arrange a low loss
feeder plus load the pa correctly, then pa is happy, low feeder loss,
the RF gets to the antenna.

The antenna RrRL so antenna loss is low.

Yes, matching becomes a serious issue but that is not what we are talking
about.

RF has only one place left to go, to be radiated.

Agreed.

Old October 23rd 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Brian
Morrison writes
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:36:53 -0000
wrote:

Quite often I find I haven't a clue what people are talking about,
mostly when it is just casual conversation between the characters.

It's that old 2 nations divided by a common language thing again. It
takes time to tune in to the nuances of conversation in different
places.

These days, although I have good hearing, I find it often helps a lot to
have the subtitle (closed caption) text turned on.
--
Ian
Old October 23rd 14, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

These days, although I have good hearing, I find it often helps a lot to
have the subtitle (closed caption) text turned on.

That's because of the woolly-voiced productions that started
with Jamaica Inn!

(and will continue with Spartacus tonight)

Short Antennae gareth Antenna 10 October 11th 14 02:19 AM
Fractal antennae? Sparky[_3_] Shortwave 10 February 17th 14 11:23 AM
Looking for help regarding satellie antennae [email protected] Antenna 8 September 1st 05 03:21 AM
Question on antennae JohnM CB 6 July 11th 05 09:19 PM
Homemade Antennae, help Steve Muir Antenna 6 April 12th 04 04:44 AM