Old November 7th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Write Off

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:01:05 +0000, gareth wrote:

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..

Once again a wall of text that has no relevance to amateur radio.

Once again a unpleasant snipe made just to make you feel better.
Old November 7th 14, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in
:

I don't know what it is that provokes Gmailers to reply to posts so old
it's often a crapshoot if the OP is still alive or not, much less still
active. :/

I plead guilty, though only a very few times. Sometimes when I'm on my own
with something and I find a rare old post that was after a similar thing, and
if I get lucky and pleased enough with my own answer I'll post it regardless
of age of the original, purely because it might have saved me some time if it
had already been there, and if I was lost in some archive backwater, someone
else might be, sometime, passing the same way. That huge retention is useful,
I know if I lose my saved posts from here, I can likely search my own handle
(is one reason it's chosen, it's likely unique) and the group name, and very
rapidly find what I lost.

I could use Google, but I just want to avoid them a bit. Can't really,
searches and all, but that's the point, they're so overwhelmingly present,
they don't need my encouragement, and the German firm that Percy and BErnie
posted about looks like a really good shot. In passing, I'll mention I just
got news back from Demon.net, and they quit doing web hosting for new
customers, and judnign by the quality of that German news.individual.net
recommendation, I'm hoping someone here knows a really good UK web host (got
to be on UK soil, if I sell stuff it realy pays for the source of it to be
under UK law directly, in case of trouble).

You're likely right about money as basis for usenet cuts, I just thought it
odd that two ISP's do it within weeks at a time when the govt is full of fire
and thunder about sweeping rights it grants GCHQ to spy on us all on what
amounts to thought police suspicions (Theresa May, Home Office minister,
overtly states she wantsa far more sweeping powers to spy on the lot of us at
random and at will, and the nation is in no serious mood to resist the Tories
so it will probably happen). I'm not going to assume this lot are innocent
till proven guilty while they perist in treating us as if we're guilty until
proven innocent!

I'd like to cancel the extras as you did, but BT won't let me. The only
thing I can do is jump ship. The UK is full of take-it-or-leave-it deals like
this, because each firm assumes that all the rest will offer nothign better
anyway. Some do though, it's just hard to find them. Several seem to be ok
with raw net access, not so hot for web hosting. That used to be hard to
avoid! Now I can't find anything good, quiet, economical. I may have to get
it separately, but that's NEVER economical.. On the other hand, I could get a
steady web host, then jump ship every 12 months for net access to use the
really cheap deals, but I don't want to, having a new modem every 12 months
seems like a recipe for trouble every year..

I don't mind paying extra if I find a firm who isn't going to screw me after
the first 12 months. For example, Virgin Media bought the first ISP I used,
servie fell through the floor, fast, I felt like a cow caught in the back of
a truck they bought! YEARS later, they are still sending me expensive
merchandising twice a month, no doubt at huge expense, paid for by all the
othe poor sods who remain captive. A small business class ISP in the UK might
be ideal, if they keep it simple and high quality. I just don't know if such
a deal even exists in thsi broken age of WEB2.
Old November 7th 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bernie wrote in :

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:01:05 +0000, gareth wrote:

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..

Once again a wall of text that has no relevance to amateur radio.

Once again a unpleasant snipe made just to make you feel better.

I could pretend I never saw the original, but I think I should state my case:

Off-topic, spam, and abuse are very separate things. If people are off-topic
but constructive, doing ANYTHING that helps people to stay around, then it is
probably a good thing. Sure, there will be some who drily complain of wading
though all the off-topic posts to find the posts they want, but if the
alternative is a group so uncomfortable that no-one stays, where are those
posts?!

Maybe if people have some kind of group where those into electronics, radio
and such can hang out and feel like it's worth hanging around on Usenet, that
could solve both problems. What will solve nether is sitting on the sidelines
carping and trying to trip people up.

For the record, I won;'t argue or fight about this, not with anyone. I'm not
interested. If people give me a hard time I'll just go quiet, and if it looks
like it won't end if I write again, I'll leave. If enough people do that, the
trolls and their beaters will be in their own self-made heaven. Of course, if
it NOT heaven, they know what they can do to change it.
Old November 7th 14, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:17:59 -0600, Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Bernie wrote in :

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:01:05 +0000, gareth wrote:

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..

Once again a wall of text that has no relevance to amateur radio.

Once again a unpleasant snipe made just to make you feel better.

I could pretend I never saw the original, but I think I should state my
case:

You are who you are. Gareth is a confused projection of who he wishes he
was. I have no authority here, and little anywhere else, but to me you
never seem to be an disruptive poster.

As I said, no authority, just my thoughts.

Old November 7th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bernie wrote in :

I have no authority here, and little anywhere else, but to me you
never seem to be an disruptive poster.

I think everyone has at least some autority. Anyway, if I do get
disruptive, and people tell me, I'll be able to gauge how true it is by
seeing who tells me based on how they do things the rest of the time.
I'll admit having nothign much on antennas to talk about right now, it's not
something I do all the time, and other things take over too.. I just tend to
hang out in one place at a time, even on Usenet, but I will tone it down if
it annoys people when I go off-topic. Right now it's fair game though, given
the thread subject and first post. The general issue beign what it might take
to make this group thrive without antagonism. The fact that it's not
moderated might even be in its favour, though I think there is scope for a
moderated group too. Each might help the other exist.

Old November 7th 14, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, November 7, 2014 2:11:58 PM UTC-6, Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Several seem to be ok
with raw net access, not so hot for web hosting.

I guess it depends how much room for a website you need.
Comcast is fairly good in that regard. I have up to 7 email
addresses, and each one gets up to 1 GB of storage room.
So I have 7 GB on the various addresses, which can be linked to
from my main site address if needed.

So I have plenty enough room for the puny website I have,
and also enough room that I can store all my images, videos,
etc, on my own server, without having to use the various photo
storage sites, etc. But I've gone to youtube for most of my
videos as they are usually HD now and take a good bit of room.
Most are videos of artificial aircraft I work on and fly..

As an example.. I posted this to another forum last night,
and it's stored on my own server.
A tree rat I took a picture of at the dirt patch last week..
http://home.comcast.net/~disk200/trickrtreat.jpg

But I realize many ISP's are kind of skimpy on storage room.
When I was with WT.met, I think I only got 5 MB at that time,
which was fairly puny. I don't know if they are still around
now, or what they offer now if they are.
I stick with cable as far as internet, because as far as speed,
they smoke all other options in this town. You pay for it,
but it's pretty speedy.

Old November 7th 14, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in news:68feb55d-6886-41af-981f-
:

A tree rat I took a picture of at the dirt patch last week..
http://home.comcast.net/~disk200/trickrtreat.jpg

Nice. We call them squirrels here, assuming it's the same species. Red ones
are rare, but populations slowly reviving fron Scotland back into England.
Maybe some in north Wales too.

Your own server... as in at home, direct;y accessed via the web? I could do
that, if an ISP allows it. Main need isn't the larger, slower kind I used to
use and get with Blueyonder, a tiny but fast one is better. My programs will
be extremely small for what they do. Native Instruments FM7 was about 16MB at
least, mine will be 100K max, maybe less UPX'd, small size will save me money
in bandwidth if it gets popular, because I'll aim for low cost to get more
buyers. I'm considering a script to patch each copy with a unique pattern but
that might be pointless, better reserved for a later more elaborate version
that costs more and likely attracts less people.

Skimpy storage would be ok for me though, if I can have it fast and so I
never have to worry about it being available if my own stuff isn't working. I
did look at web hosts some time last year, but they all seem to offer
bewildering scripting options. Too many parts to go wrong, too many things to
be hacked by people who know lots more than me. I can write good code, but
I'd rather rip all that extra stuff out, so I'd need a host that lets me do
that.
Old November 7th 14, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, November 7, 2014 4:26:42 PM UTC-6, Lostgallifreyan wrote:
wrote in news:68feb55d-6886-41af-981f-
:

A tree rat I took a picture of at the dirt patch last week..
http://home.comcast.net/~disk200/trickrtreat.jpg

Nice. We call them squirrels here, assuming it's the same species. Red ones
are rare, but populations slowly reviving fron Scotland back into England.
Maybe some in north Wales too.

They call them squirrels here too, but being as I'm a petulant troublemaker..
:/

Your own server... as in at home, direct;y accessed via the web? I could do
that, if an ISP allows it.

Nope. It's their server which I directly access via the web. "ftp" actually..
I have the hard drive room to be my own server, but not sure how I would
be able to rig it to be ftp or web accessed. It could probably be done,
but no point with what I have at Comcast.
I'm running 5 large drives in this box at the moment.. I think 7-8 TB
or so.. Some of that is for backup of other drives content in case
a drive goes kaput. I don't use any cloud backup schemes.
Even with 7-8 TB worth of drives, I only have about 110 GB free at the moment.
And I have other drives which are loaded up, but I don't use any more due
to them being small drives compared to today's standards.

Old November 8th 14, 10:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

rickman wrote in :

On 11/7/2014 10:26 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

I've been on eternal-september for years - since before they were
eternal-september (so long ago I've forgotten what their previous name
was - but then I'm old ) and never had a problem with them.

Sure, they go down occasionally (who doesn't?), but not often and not
for too long of a time. The only problem I've had with them recently
is about a week ago I couldn't access them because they were so busy
(they do limit connections to keep from overloading the server). But
once again, that's very seldom. It was just before I went to bed, and
when I tried in the morning the connection was fine. Just a spike when
I wanted in.

I use eternal-september and I find they have trouble *very*
infrequently. The event a couple of weeks ago was not just being
overloaded. Their servers were still up, but the traffic dropped to
half it's usual level. They may have lost a portion of their servers or
they may have been under attack.

All in all I find them to be very workable.

Thanks both of you, I'll look at them too, it sounds like I could easily live
with any bother of that small magnitude. BT had funny habits even while they
did have Usenet, the biggest being that sometimes I'd see 'Autorisation
Required'. First time, that was a noodle-baker. It happens if they change the
IP (is dynamic) and I end up with one from a block that is not granted usenet
access with Giganews, who BT had contract with. Usually, disconnect - wait -
reconnect works, if that fails, restart hub.
Old November 8th 14, 10:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote in
:

ES is just fine.

Three recommendations now, so ok. Thanks. If trolls and spammers used it
enough that people here, as on s.e.d., blocked it outright to stop bulk
abuse, its reputation wouldn't get three recommendations here, I'd more
likely see comments related to what I just said. I've definitely seen such
about aioe though, I was active in a group for some time while it was
happening, so I won't use that one while there are at least two likely better
choices.

[tapr-announce] write now Stan Horzepa Digital 0 July 7th 09 04:59 AM
Somebody should write to the Delano tx... running dogg Shortwave 4 February 14th 06 05:08 PM
Write your own caption! David Shortwave 7 May 10th 05 03:40 AM
Did Geo write this? U Know Who CB 0 December 24th 04 02:04 AM
Would you like to write about your hobby for one of the UK's top websites? Steve Roche General 0 February 13th 04 10:18 AM