Old November 22nd 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Interesting bent folded unipole antenna

A special purpose antenna for maybe just below the 6M band. For railroad
cars (a large metal ground plane). The antenna must be short enough to
pass through tunnels and have a 50 ohm feed impedance.

I saw this antenna in a book but I can no longer remember which book
and, although I've searched, I can't seem to find a reference. It was
probably from the 1950's. Anyway...

Imagine a folded unipole over a large sheet of metal. It will probably
have a high feed resistance of 100 or so ohms. But, if it is bent over
90 degrees starting a short distance above the ground plane, it can be
adjusted to match a 50 ohm feed and with no imaginary component. This
will satisfy not only the feed impedance but also the short height
requirement.

Other than the really nice ground plane of a railroad car's roof and
using a frequency proportional to the plane, there is no obvious reason
this cannot be use in other situations.

Is that not really cool? Comments welcome, of course.

Old November 22nd 14, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a (much) larger version of the antenna in your mobile phone

Old November 22nd 14, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

This sounds like a straightened out version of the DDRR antenna. QST did an
article on it some years ago, but used some substandard construction
techniques.

It can be built for HF. It is essentially a quarter wave vertical bent
over. The bent part can be straight or formed into a circle.
IIRC the configuration you describe was used for presidential communications
during the 1950s and was attached to campaign trains.

The antenna also has a history on naval vessels. Some hams have used it as
a means of having a HF vertical shorter than their fence to avoid homeowner
association rules.

I built a 2 meter version of the antenna in the 1970s. The antenna was
constructed from 1/4 inch copper tubing formed into a ring, with the
grounded straight vertical section being 2 inches long. It was tuned to
resonance with a 1/2 inch disk attached to the open end. A screw moved the
disk to form a variable capacitor.

The antenna worked very well with local repeaters, and it allowed my Chevy
van to have a top mounted antenna and still fit in the garage.

Old November 22nd 14, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/22/2014 12:00 PM, Wayne wrote:

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

Sounds like a Saturn 6M halo antenna from the 60's. I never had one,
but I knew a couple of guys who did. They thought the antenna was great.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old November 22nd 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 10:19:36 -0600, John S
wrote:

[...]

It's called a PIFA antenna.
http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/PIFA/PIFA_Planar_Inverted_F_Antenna.pdf
http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/patches/pifa.php
etc...

They come in a wide variety of mutations, including one which you've
described. They can also be designed using a slot instead of a wire.
Most commonly, they're found on 2.4Ghz laptop antennas, aircraft
antennas, low profile bus/railroad/taxi antennas, etc. Some random
examples:
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=309440
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=72370
http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/low-profile-antennas/rugged-aluminum

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Old November 22nd 14, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

My understanding of the halo is that it is a half wave dipole formed into a
circle.

The antenna I described is essentially a 1/4 wave vertical bent over with
the bent portion parallel to the ground.
My 2 meter version could be described as a 19 inch long vertical, bent over
two inches from the ground, and the remaining 17 inches formed into a circle
parallel to the ground. So the antenna only added 2 inches to the height of
my van.

Old November 22nd 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/22/2014 10:19 AM, John S wrote:
[...]

No, Guys, nothing that I have read so far is the thing I have in mind.

Picture this...

A folded unipole on a large sheet of conductive material. Let one of the
vertical elements be connected to the sheet. The other is insulated from
the sheet and has the generator attached.

Now, this configuration has a high feed impedance, even when resonant.
However, if you now bend the antenna at an appropriate point vertically
so that the top portion leans horizontally to the sheet, the antenna
gets lower to the sheet and the impedance lowers.

I have an EZNEC file that I can share if anyone is interested. I will
also continue to search my books for the example.

Old November 22nd 14, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

That could be; I don't remember a lot of details about it. But from
what I remember about them, it was a pretty small circle for 1/2
wavelength on 6 meters. That would be around 3 meters in circumference,
or slightly less than a meter in diameter. They weren't anywhere near
that big.

The antenna I described is essentially a 1/4 wave vertical bent over
with the bent portion parallel to the ground.
My 2 meter version could be described as a 19 inch long vertical, bent
over two inches from the ground, and the remaining 17 inches formed into
a circle parallel to the ground. So the antenna only added 2 inches to
the height of my van.

Sounds good; it still sounds close to a halo, IIRC.

--
==================

Old November 22nd 14, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

Ahhh....the "folded" part didn't sink in when I responded.

I suspect my original comments still apply.
With two conductors, the current is half in each conductor, thus a doubling
of radiation resistance at the feed point in one conductor.
So by carefully selecting the height at which the vertical part is bent,
there might be a good match for coax.

I'll play with that configuration a bit on EZNEC.

Old November 22nd 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wayne wrote:

snip

My understanding of the halo is that it is a half wave dipole formed into a
circle.

Correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_antenna

--