Old July 17th 04, 08:10 PM
Ed Price

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Brian Kelly wrote:
But . . but . . so the cop punches the button, turns loose a monster
burst of RF and the perp's engine sputters out.

What prevents the perp from having his own RF gun? Are the cops
going to be driving 1960 Pontiacs?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

They should be so lucky! In 60, Pontiac was building a race rep, and a
friend of mine bought a 3/4 race special factory package Bonneville. It may
have been heavy, and the front hood looked like the horizon, but you could
chirp the tires at 80 MPH going into 4th! IIRC, also about 6 MPG. It would
make one fantastic freeway cruiser.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old July 17th 04, 08:23 PM
Ed Price

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...

SNIP

But . . but . . so the cop punches the button, turns loose a monster
burst of RF and the perp's engine sputters out. What prevents the RF
from also shutting down the engine in the Looney Van? The cops will be
issued Looney Vans equipped with RF-proof 1956 Stromberg carburetors
or what?? That would thrill the EPA and the EU envirofreaks no end . .

Maybe you haven't noticed it, but government regularly exempts itself from
the picky regulations that they impose on the general populace.

It's not the carb that's the RF sensitive element, it's the Engine Control
Computer which the zappers attempt to toast. That means that the ideal
immune vehicle would be about pre-1980, with a Kettering ignition system.
However, the 70's cars were notorious for trying to reduce exhaust emissions
with pneumatics, thermal delays, and other non-electronic systems. Those
systems created balky, stall-prone engines, so we need to move the date back
to about 1970.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old July 17th 04, 10:32 PM
Roy Lewallen

Ed Price wrote:
. . .
That means that the ideal
immune vehicle would be about pre-1980, with a Kettering ignition system. . .

My 1972 VW squareback had true electronic fuel injection controlled by a
transistorized analog computer (made on a sturdy PCB with discrete
components and tucked into a rear fender well). It did have a Kettering
ignition system, but on 15 meters my HF rig would stop it dead in its
tracks by shutting down the fuel injection.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old July 17th 04, 10:43 PM
Cecil Moore

Ed Price wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
What prevents the perp from having his own RF gun? Are the cops
going to be driving 1960 Pontiacs?

They should be so lucky! In 60, Pontiac was building a race rep, and a
friend of mine bought a 3/4 race special factory package Bonneville. It may
have been heavy, and the front hood looked like the horizon, but you could
chirp the tires at 80 MPH going into 4th! IIRC, also about 6 MPG. It would
make one fantastic freeway cruiser.

The reason I asked is that I used to have one of those as a company car.
As I remember, it was 455 in^3. I used to drive the radar cops bats*it
by slowing down to 70 when approaching an overpass and then going 120 in
the straightaway out in West Texas. The radar cops *always* parked just
on the other side of an overpass in 1960.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 18th 04, 03:23 AM
CW

I can see it know. Cops are chasing some sleaze. He's going at great speed
in traffic, causing a danger to everyone. Cops let loose with their RF gun
disabling sleaze's car, their own and fifteen others on the road. One of the
innocents affected is a 98 pound woman that can't control her car without
the power steering. She looses control causing a multicar pileup. Yep,
sounds safer to me.

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Fractenna
writes
Also keeps those pesky UFO's in check:-)....

Hmmm..I though cars were better shielded than that.
Article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...259138,00.html

73,
Chip N1IR

In the UK, we're not supposed to use 'unproved' commercial equipment in
modern cars (although I think we can still use homebrew). This is
supposedly to avoid the risk of interfering with the electronics
(although I can't really think why 'approved' equipment should be
better). It's all to do with being a part of the European Community, and
the rule-making bureaucrats in Brussels.

Obviously, the real solution to the problem would be to improve the
immunity of the car electronics (which costs), but you now have a good
reason to justify not doing this.

In the UK, we pay a TV licence. There are detector vans which track down
offenders. The obvious way was to look for the radiation of the local
oscillator in the tuner. However, a radiating local oscillator is a 'bad
thing' because it interferes with things. With modern sets, it's
probably easier to look for the rubbish from the switch-mode power
supplies (which is often worse when the set is in standby).

It used to be said that the TV manufacturers were actually willing to
improve their designs in order to reduce the radiation, but were
pressured not to do so! I'm not sure how true any of this is. I've a
sneaky feeling that costs again come into it somewhere.

Cheers,
Ian.

Old July 18th 04, 03:35 AM

CW no adddress@spam free.com wrote:
I can see it know. Cops are chasing some sleaze. He's going at great speed
in traffic, causing a danger to everyone. Cops let loose with their RF gun
disabling sleaze's car, their own and fifteen others on the road. One of the
innocents affected is a 98 pound woman that can't control her car without
the power steering. She looses control causing a multicar pileup. Yep,
sounds safer to me.

Not to mention the guy with the pacemaker that causes yet another pileup
while clutching his chest.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old July 18th 04, 06:19 AM
Tdonaly

Jim Pennino wrote,

CW no adddress@spam free.com wrote:
I can see it know. Cops are chasing some sleaze. He's going at great speed
in traffic, causing a danger to everyone. Cops let loose with their RF gun
disabling sleaze's car, their own and fifteen others on the road. One of

the
innocents affected is a 98 pound woman that can't control her car without
the power steering. She looses control causing a multicar pileup. Yep,
sounds safer to me.

Not to mention the guy with the pacemaker that causes yet another pileup
while clutching his chest.

--
Jim Pennino

You guys certainly are a cheerful bunch.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Old July 18th 04, 11:22 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Tdonaly wrote:
Jim Pennino wrote,

CW no adddress@spam free.com wrote:
I can see it know. Cops are chasing some sleaze. He's going at great speed
in traffic, causing a danger to everyone. Cops let loose with their RF gun
disabling sleaze's car, their own and fifteen others on the road. One of

the
innocents affected is a 98 pound woman that can't control her car without
the power steering. She looses control causing a multicar pileup. Yep,
sounds safer to me.

Not to mention the guy with the pacemaker that causes yet another pileup
while clutching his chest.

--
Jim Pennino

You guys certainly are a cheerful bunch.

Nah, just practical and realistic.

This is just another "mad scientist" project. Technologically
feasible... well, just maybe... but totally devoid of common sense.

The amazing thing is how easily such projects find powerful backers at
corporate and even governmental level [insert cross-references to the
Dotcom Boom and BPL here].

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old July 18th 04, 03:31 PM
Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly wrote:
But . . but . . so the cop punches the button, turns loose a monster
burst of RF and the perp's engine sputters out.

What prevents the perp from having his own RF gun? Are the cops
going to be driving 1960 Pontiacs?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

They should be so lucky! In 60, Pontiac was building a race rep, and a
friend of mine bought a 3/4 race special factory package Bonneville. It may
have been heavy, and the front hood looked like the horizon, but you could
chirp the tires at 80 MPH going into 4th! IIRC, also about 6 MPG. It would
make one fantastic freeway cruiser.

The trunks of those puppies were the other half of the horizon. A kW
mobile rig in the trunk? No sweat! And with room left over for the
suitcases.

Then along came the Chrysler 300s. The PA State Police bought a flock
of "Police Special" 300s which they used to nail those big GM and
Mopar cruisers. The 300s surfed the PA Turnpike at 130-140 mph "CCS".
I was riding on the TPK in the sedate 1953 six-banger family Pontiac,
didn't see trooper coming, then *Whooosh!*, his pressure wave almost
blew us out of the lane.

w3rv

Ed
wb6wsn

Old July 18th 04, 03:36 PM
CW

Unlike some in industry, we just look at the potential problems. To often,
things like this get pushed through due to the drive of money rather than
common sense. Often this results in the "acceptable loses" attitude when it
comes to the safety of the public.
"Tdonaly" wrote in message
news:20040718011930.22984.00001865@mb- You guys certainly are a cheerful
bunch.