Old August 9th 04, 03:48 PM
Airy R. Bean

Default "Diamond CoLinear"?

Anybody know anything about the internal configuration
of these?

I bought one on behalf of my friend yesterday at Wimborne
to replace the 5/8ths one (not a colinear - misunderstanding)
that had been badly manufactured (q.v.)

On this Diamond, it gives an SWR of 1.01:1 and yet a DC test
shows no continuity between the centre of the coax and the
vertical radiator - the outer of the coax shows a dead short
to the monopole.

How are these things wired internally? - Mystified

Old August 9th 04, 04:14 PM
Gareth's Memory

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Anybody know anything about the internal configuration
of these?

I bought one on behalf of my friend yesterday at Wimborne
to replace the 5/8ths one (not a colinear - misunderstanding)
that had been badly manufactured (q.v.)

It had to come. Shoddy Workmanship. You thrown it in the bin I assume, on
the basis no reputable company has a returns policy.

Old August 9th 04, 04:14 PM
Gareth's Memory

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Anybody know anything about the internal configuration
of these?

I bought one on behalf of my friend yesterday at Wimborne
to replace the 5/8ths one (not a colinear - misunderstanding)
that had been badly manufactured (q.v.)

Why didn't you make one? Cheque Book Ham are you?

Old August 9th 04, 04:17 PM
Gareth's Memory

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Anybody know anything about the internal configuration
of these?

I bought one on behalf of my friend yesterday at Wimborne
to replace the 5/8ths one (not a colinear - misunderstanding)
that had been badly manufactured (q.v.)

On this Diamond, it gives an SWR of 1.01:1 and yet a DC test
shows no continuity between the centre of the coax and the
vertical radiator - the outer of the coax shows a dead short
to the monopole.

How are these things wired internally? - Mystified

Why, it isn't complicated. There is a matching network, details depends on
the version you have. Some have a tapped parallel tuned circuit, some a coil
tapped with a C to the monopole.

So much for our resident expert....................

Old August 9th 04, 05:17 PM
Gordon Hudson

"Gareth's Memory" wrote in message

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Anybody know anything about the internal configuration
of these?

I bought one on behalf of my friend yesterday at Wimborne
to replace the 5/8ths one (not a colinear - misunderstanding)
that had been badly manufactured (q.v.)

I had one of those Diamond ones.Couldn't make it work.
Used the Aluminium for something else.
(if its the 5/8 over 5/8 you are taling about).

Old August 9th 04, 05:18 PM
Airy R. Bean

It quite possibly is - both halves of the monopole
are just that bit longer than arm's length.

Yes - I've done that before - last year during a lull in
interest I used the aluminium elements of an HF beam
kit to make up the legs for the testing horse for
my clocks, on the basis that the cheapest thing that
you can buy is always more expensive than the most valuable
thing in your junk box!

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message
.. .

Old August 9th 04, 10:20 PM
Gareth's Memory

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
It quite possibly is - both halves of the monopole
are just that bit longer than arm's length.

Yes - I've done that before - last year during a lull in
interest I used the aluminium elements of an HF beam
kit to make up the legs for the testing horse for
my clocks, on the basis that the cheapest thing that
you can buy is always more expensive than the most valuable
thing in your junk box!

Have you ever actually made a clock? Somehow I doubt your engineering skills
are up to that.

Old August 9th 04, 10:22 PM
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Anybody know anything about the internal configuration
of these?

I bought one on behalf of my friend yesterday at Wimborne
to replace the 5/8ths one (not a colinear - misunderstanding)
that had been badly manufactured (q.v.)

On this Diamond, it gives an SWR of 1.01:1 and yet a DC test
shows no continuity between the centre of the coax and the
vertical radiator - the outer of the coax shows a dead short
to the monopole.

How are these things wired internally? - Mystified

Simple, series capacitor and parallel inductor.
--
;)
73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.