Old June 1st 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Battery question???

Hi Gents

Sorry for offtopic question in your forum, but you folks know more about
marine batteries than any of the boating newsgroups, for my purpose anyway.

I have a half dozen marine deep cycle batteries. I get about 8 years
usefullness from them when I store them properly, I slow charge them once
per month while in my garage for winter storage and I try and never leave
them sitting without being charge. I try to never drain them completely, I
keep them filled with RO water and don't over boil them. Etc etc etc.

My question is I am coming up on the 8th year and might have neglected this
winter's long storage time. I have two that are my concern. Two Nautalis 12v
Deep Cycle, they are the bigger ones. One only holds the 12v charge for
about an hour. Battery charger "intelligent automatic charger" Will charge
them both, and shut off automatically when fully charged, then a week later
one is still 12v, the other is 10v. I needed to fill about 15% or 20% of
the fluid with RO water.

My question is about de-sulfating. I bought the one for $20.00 bucks that
connects and blinks the red light while it is desulfating with an electronic
pulse (reverse) and while I did this for about 2 months now on the
batteries, one shows very very good response but one still only holds the
12v charge for a week then goes down to 10v.

What I want to try is replacing the sulfuric acid. I think that could super
charge the lead acid reaction. The auto stores in Ontario no longer sell the
replacement battery acid (sulfuric acid) but just over the border in NY
state they all do. Very cheap. So I want to know what you folks think about
doing a 2 month de-sulfation then replacing the very grey and thick old acid
with some very clear and new sulfuric acid.

Replacement batteries would run me about $300.00. The Sulfuric Acid is about
$12.00 per gallon.

The folks at the Auto Supply Stores say it is good idea to do, but some say
not good idea. I am happy to hear you folks opinion of the matter. Feel free
to fling the mud. Just give me lots of advice.

I ended up having to replace the entire Fish Finder Extension for
Transducer, took about 2 days. I didn't end up splicing like I thought,
however when I removed all the panels to replace the old transducer cables
(there were 2 old ones in there) one was simply a regular hunk of coax for
mobile ham radio. With splices, with electrical tape. So for years I have
been using the old fish finder (Eagle Supra) 170mhz with a 25 foot piece of
radio coax spliced into the old transducer. O well.

But thank you folks for any advice on the sulfuric acid replacing in deep
cycle marine batteries. I live in Ontario so we store these batteries for 6
or 7 months per year.

Thanks,

73s

Old June 2nd 15, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 01/06/15 15:58, Tom wrote:
[...]

In my less affluent days, I tried all kinds of ways to recover
batteries, mainly lead acid ones. Success was, at best 'limited' and
invariably short lived, even with TLC. I wasn't using the batteries in
situations where, if they let me down, it would be more than a matter of
not being able to 'play radio' etc.

I now have what you call an RV, which has a couple of Leisure/Marine
Batteries in addition to the main Battery. Based on my experience of
recovering batteries, I'd not use a recovered battery in that even
though it remains safely on dry land.

8 years seems good service, I'd expect maybe 5. Having said that, I
replaced the battery in my MX5 after about 13 years and it hadn't
failed, I just decided I'd pushed it too far (my luck, not the car). The
battery is still good, I use it for odd things out of interest more than
anything. It is a 'glass mat' battery, made by National Panasonic.

Old June 2nd 15, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2015-06-01, Tom wrote:

My question is about de-sulfating. I bought the one for $20.00 bucks that
connects and blinks the red light while it is desulfating with an electronic
pulse (reverse) and while I did this for about 2 months now on the
batteries, one shows very very good response but one still only holds the
12v charge for a week then goes down to 10v.

What I want to try is replacing the sulfuric acid. I think that could super

Look at this link and notice on first page (2nd column, right) where it
talks about dendrites and then later the part about reconditioning. The
de-sulphanation can work but there is a point of damage where it will not.
My guess (purely a guess) is that you will have to replace the battery
showing 10v. You probably have too much damage in one cell with deposits on
the positive plate and the above mentioned dendrites through the porus plate
separators. This can all be rather confusing, but maybe anything is worth a
try. ha Here is link:

http://www1.electusdistribution.com....ded/nicads.pdf

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://www.kd5zlb.org
Old June 2nd 15, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 10:58:48 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

I have a half dozen marine deep cycle batteries.

Battery manufacturer and model number please? I want to get a clue as
to the size and weight to determine if they're quality or junk as well
as whether there's a sump at the bottom to catch the flaked off
sulfates. Also, what is your use for these batteries and approximate
load requirements?

I get about 8 years
usefullness from them when I store them properly, I slow charge them once
per month while in my garage for winter storage and I try and never leave
them sitting without being charge. I try to never drain them completely, I
keep them filled with RO water and don't over boil them. Etc etc etc.

Many "marine" batteries were NOT designed for stationary use. The
motion of the vessel (or automobile) agitates the electrolyte, which
helps remove surface sulfate accumulation. The "marine" batteries may
also have been designed for starting service, as in an automobile or
vessel, which is quite different from stationary service, such as a
home solar power system. Just about everyone who has built their own
solar power system had tried using cheap automotive batteries which
fail after a few charge cycles. Then, they graduate to the somewhat
better "marine" grade batteries, which fail after a few more charge
cycles. Eventually they go to batteries designed for stationary
service, such as those made by Trojan Battery.
http://www.trojanbattery.com
At various radio sites, the requirement are even more difficult, so
large flooded "telco" batteries are used:
http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/k6bj/K6BJ%20Repeater/slides/Batteries.html
Note that these batteries are over 30 years old and still running at
about 90% of their original capacity.

My question is about de-sulfating.

I can't help you with desulfation. I've tried a few random gadgets.
None of them worked for me. So, I gave up.

What I want to try is replacing the sulfuric acid.

That will do next to nothing useful. Lead sulfate is normally
produced during the discharge of a battery. What happens is that
during recharge, some of the lead sulfate does not get converted back
into lead and sulfuric acid. By adding overly concentrated sulfuric
acid to the electrolyte, you prevent the remaining lead in solution
from being replated to the battery plates. You would do better adding
water, which is what is commonly done. When the battery is NOT
agitated, it also creates lead sulfate through stratification. Some
details:
http://www.progressivedyn.com/battery_basics.html

More reading:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_restore_and_prolong_lead_acid_batteries

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 6th 15, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

That's how our grandpas did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qA-pqBffWg

w.

Old June 6th 15, 02:52 PM
Senior Member

2x what Jim Higgins said!

I worked for a Automotive Salvage Yard and at one time the owner of the junk yard allowed the employees to keep all the used batteries that did not have a full charge or that had a hole in them.
I myself and my friend would bring these batteries home - in the trunk of a Lincoln Continental and stack them on pallets until we got enough to make a trip to the scrap yard, where they would pay $1.50 each for the used batteries.

I had at times patched some of the batteries - with everything from Bondo - not a good idea, to JB Weld, to Blue Goo - Blue or Red Permatex.

I had a sewage problem at my QTH - home septic not city and I took the tops off of several batteries and poured the acid inside of the commode and when I was done, the porcelain shined like new. It did a good job of cleaning out the pipes.

We once needed a battery, short term for a demolition derby car and didn't want to use one of our good ones, so we found a car battery with a dead cell and we took a 3 lbs dead blow hammer and we beat on the bottom of the battery and eventually it broke up the sludge on the bottom and broke the short and held a charge.

Marine Battery - 8 years old, PLLLEEEESSSSE give me a break.
Quit being so cheap and go buy a new battery.
As a matter of fact, if the two batteries are ganged in parallel, you need to buy two new batteries, else the weaker of the two will rob power from the newer battery and the old battery will kill the new battery!

Only a moron would post a battery question in an antenna forum.

My guess is that the boating people gave you the same answer, you just didn't want to listen.

If you have no Denero - then you aren't going to be going boating this year with two dead batteries.

The folks that gave the advice that the batteries does not like to be stationary is dead on.
Maybe you could build a battery tray in the trunk of your vehicle and haul them around while connected to a battery isolator all winter, and you could connect something to them, maybe a car stereo or something, that way the batteries would cycle each time you drove the vehicle and it would keep them from going dead prematurely.

That is what I like about people.
When the sun shines, they don't think about their batteries, then when winter comes, they drag their battery out of their boat and they put it on a float charger and they think that they can perpetuate it by charging it once in a while. Eventually they forget about the battery for a month or two, or they place it directly on the cement floor and it goes dead and then in the spring they run out to their shed or their basement and go to grab their battery from last year - and it is dead!
Then they cry, moan and complain until they pony up the bucks to go buy new ones!

You would be better off to buy a vehicle that has a battery tray large enough to hold those batteries and rotate them on a schedule in your vehicle and use them once every 3 months for a month to keep them charged then you would just setting them on your work bench on a charger.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old June 11th 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks folks for more advice.

Great advice and knowledge. Thanks much.

Yes, I read your advice and decided not to change the acid. I bought the new
battery for 150.00 and they gave me 20 dollars for the old core.
If I didn't have the old core they would have charged me additional 20.

Now they have at Canadian Tire the new Nautalis Advanced battery for
$200.00 and it is same cranking amps and RC and has new technology using a
sock technolgy that eliminates the sulfating.

The secret is not to let the battery discharge for any lengths of time (eg
one month). Getting 6 or 7 or 8 years out of the battery is excellent.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I will care for my batteries much more
focused now.

So the chap at the C.T. store tells me this new battery will last decades
and wont de-sulfate (which is the reason most deep cycle batteries die).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gr...l#.VXl-mlJ_9Cg

Thanks again gents,
very much appreciate your words.

73s

Old June 11th 15, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 08:31:19 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

So the chap at the C.T. store tells me this new battery will last decades
and wont de-sulfate (which is the reason most deep cycle batteries die).
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gr...l#.VXl-mlJ_9Cg

I think you mean "won't sulfate".

Hint. Find out how much the battery weighs. Presumably both the old
and this battery are both the same size. If you find that one is
substantially lighter, you're getting ripped off for that much in
lead. In general, the more lead, the better the battery.

With all due respect, I don't think you read or understood much of
what people have advised you to do. You also failed to disclose how
you are using this battery, which prevents selecting an appropriate
battery. I think you should reconsider your purchase of what looks
like a marine/RV engine starting motor and possibly ask your well
informed salesman how a magic sock is suppose to prevent battery
damage. I'll try again, although it's probably futile.

Sulfation is a normal part of the charge/discharge cycle of a battery.
When a battery is discharged, it produces lead sulfate on the plates:
http://www.progressivedyn.com/battery_basics.html
"This chemical reaction also begins to coat both positive
and negative plates with a substance called lead sulfate
also known as sulfation (shown as a yellow build-up on plates).
This build-up of lead sulfate is normal during a discharge cycle.
As the battery continues to discharge, lead sulfate coats more
and more of the plates and battery voltage begins to decrease
from fully charged state of 12.6-volts..."
Got it? Lead sulfate production is a normal part of battery
operation.

Where you get into trouble is when the lead sulfate crystalizes.
Amorphous lead sulfate is rather soft and is easily dissolved back
into solution during recharge. Crystaline lead sulfate is more like a
rock and just sits there. As more and more of the plates are coated
with the crystaline form of lead sulfate, less and less lead plate
surface area is exposed, causing a reduction in battery capacity. In
other words, you're not trying to prevent suflation. You're trying to
prevent lead sulfate crystalization. I would be interested in how a
sock can do that.

In my never humble opinion, the best way to prevent crystalization is
to not leave the battery in a discharged condition for very long. Deep
discharge is also a problem.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/sulfation_and_how_to_prevent_it

Old June 12th 15, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes, thanks for the correction on the wont sulfate.
And thanks for all the advice.
But that is what the chap claimed, the sulfating is what is killing these
deep cycles very early. And I will follow your advice very much, I will
never allow
these batteries to fully discharge or to not be topped up monthly. I will
top them up monthly. I always have paid close attention to my batteries when
in storage for winter season, now I will pay closer attention.

Interesting the chap there at C.T. told me that the new battery will not
desulfate.

Interesting enough also that when I put the two batteries side by side and
the new advanced ultra model was actually the same weight yet smaller in
size.

Just like any other industry, especially marine, they will not make me a
battery to last a lifetime, they need me to replace my batteries regularly.
Their accounting and marketing departments bank on it. Same as the smoke
detectors in the home, our firedepartment is going door to door in my
neighborhood inspecting and if you do not have they will sell you for $45.00
one for each floor (also a carbon monoxide detector) for same price, yet if
you check ebay they are only $8.00 . But I am sure smoke detectors and CO2
detectors can last longer than 5 years and function properly, but if they
lasted a lifetime or the lifetime of the house, the smoke/CO2 detector
businesses would hurt. So industry leaders bribe political leaders and so
goes a nanny state.

O well,,

Thanks a lot for all the advice, much appreciated

73s

Old June 12th 15, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/12/2015 8:19 AM, Tom wrote:
[...]

No, they aren't just trying to sell you things. Lead-acid batteries,
like all rechargeable batteries, do deteriorate over time - scientists
have never found a way to prevent it. I usually figure 5 years on car
and boat batteries; I don't want to be caught with a dead battery.

As for the smoke detectors - the $8.00 units you find on ebay are crap.
They are unreliable and may not work when required. Also, replacing
every 5 years isn't a bad idea; the longest any fire detector lasts is
about 10 years, mainly due to dust buildup in the sensor cavity.
Commercial grade detectors monitor dust buildup and can notify the
installer when the sensor degrades enough to be replaced; in a typical
installation this is around 7-8 years. My question here is - how much
are your family's lives worth?

P.S. Please don't top post. Thanks.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address

Battery question Jack VK2CJC Moderated 10 December 27th 07 05:05 PM
HT Battery question Jeff Equipment 3 April 12th 05 02:19 AM
IC-730 and IC-735 battery question Robb Leamy Equipment 4 March 20th 05 03:20 PM
Battery question Greg Dermer Homebrew 1 September 21st 04 09:26 PM
battery question Anthony B. Scanner 1 July 9th 03 10:24 PM