Old July 5th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

On 7/4/2015 4:07 PM, rickman wrote:
On 7/3/2015 3:27 PM, Wayne wrote:

"rickman" wrote in message ...

On 7/2/2015 8:53 PM, Wayne wrote:

"rickman" wrote in message ...

On 7/2/2015 3:52 PM, Wayne wrote:

Why will the reflections not have losses?

Because the assumption I posed was for a lossless line. In that case,
with a conjugate match on both ends, wouldn't there be maximum power
transmission regardless of the SWR?

You aren't grasping the issue. Losses are *not* only in the
transmission line. When a reflected wave returns to the transmitter
output, it is not reflected 100%. If the output and transmission line
are matched exactly, 50% of the reflected wave reaching the output
will be reflected and 50% will be dissipated in the output stage.

I don't think I've ever heard that anywhere before. Could you elaborate?

I'm not so sure now. I think I mentioned before that I learned about
transmission lines in the digital context where source and loads are
largely resistive. Resistance dissipates power. So when matched the
source dissipates as much power as delivered to the load (or
transmission line). Likewise, matched impedance will not reflect power,
but rather it is all absorbed. That is what happens at the antenna for
sure. But I'm not clear about what this conjugate network is really. If
it is purely reactive, then it will not have losses other than the
parasitics.

I have to admit I am not fluent in the complex math of networks. So off
hand an impedance of 1063 -j0 says to me resistive. The imaginary part
implies phase shifting, no? With that term being 0 doesn't that say the
capacitive and inductive parts cancel out leaving only resistance? If
you can, please explain how I am wrong.

Are you suggesting that the conjugate match will reflect back to the
antenna 100% of the original reflected wave from the antenna?

Well, yes. Minus losses in matching networks and transmission lines.

In examples with lossless lines and lossless matching networks, wouldn't
it be 100%.

I don't get how the matching network will reflect the wave from the
antenna 100%. Is that something you can explain?

Yes, he is correct.

Think of it this way, without the math. On the transmitter side of the
network, the match is 1:1, with nothing reflected back to the transmitter.

So you have a signal coming back from the antenna. You have a perfect
matching network, which means nothing is lost in the network. The
feedline is perfect, so there is no loss in it. The only place for the
signal to go is back to the antenna.

In a perfect system, all power is transferred to the antenna, even with
a large mismatch between the feedline and the antenna. However, that's
still not the same as having a match at the antenna, because reflected
signals most likely will arrive out of phase with the original signal.

-- ==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry, AI0K

==================
Old July 5th 15, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 19:04:01 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:
Think of it this way, without the math. On the transmitter side of the
network, the match is 1:1, with nothing reflected back to the transmitter.

So you have a signal coming back from the antenna. You have a perfect
matching network, which means nothing is lost in the network. The
feedline is perfect, so there is no loss in it. The only place for the
signal to go is back to the antenna.

Wikipedia says that if the source is matched to the line, any
reflections that come back are absorbed, not reflected back to the
antenna:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching
"If the source impedance matches the line, reflections
from the load end will be absorbed at the source end.
If the transmission line is not matched at both ends
reflections from the load will be re-reflected at the
source and re-re-reflected at the load end ad infinitum,
losing energy on each transit of the transmission line."

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 5th 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
[...]

And you believe everything Wikipedia says? ROFLMAO.

But that also explains your ignorance.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old July 5th 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
[...]

Well, I looked at that section of the writeup.
And, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Looks like a good section for a knowledgeable person to edit.

Old July 5th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
[...]

Let's see if I understand you correctly. You claim that with a power
amplifier (source) output impedance that is perfectly matched to the
coax cable, but not necessarily the load (antenna), any reflected
power from the load (antenna) is bounced back to the load (antenna) by
the perfectly matched source (power amp). Is that what you're saying?

Yet, when I have a perfectly matched load (antenna), all the power it
is fed is radiated and nothing is reflected. You can't have it both
ways because the reflected power from the load (antenna), becomes the
incident power going towards the source (power amp). Matched and
mismatched loads do NOT act differently depending on the direction of
travel. If you claim were true, then transmitting into a matched
antenna or dummy load would reflect all the power back towards the
transmitter.

Old July 5th 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
[...]

With a perfect matching network and a perfect feedline (which is what we
are discussing), that is true. But I also know that is far beyond your
limited intelligence.

Yet, when I have a perfectly matched load (antenna), all the power it
is fed is radiated and nothing is reflected. You can't have it both
ways because the reflected power from the load (antenna), becomes the
incident power going towards the source (power amp). Matched and
mismatched loads do NOT act differently depending on the direction of
travel. If you claim were true, then transmitting into a matched
antenna or dummy load would reflect all the power back towards the
transmitter.

Nothing wrong with it at all - except your limited intelligence can't
understand simple physics. But then that's nothing new.

--
==================

Old July 5th 15, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
[...]

It's not clear because it depends on a lot of math on how things work.
Maybe it could use some editing, but I really don't think it can be
simplified much more - and certainly not enough for some idiots in this
newsgroup to understand.

But then they are just trolls who insist on showing their ignorance
based on a limited understanding of Ohm's law - and nothing higher.
Even the math behind Smith charts is beyond them.

--
==================

Old July 5th 15, 07:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
[...]

If the termination matches the line impedance, there is no reflection.

Both the antenna and the source are terminations.

This is a bit difficult to visualze with an RF transmitter, but is
more easily seen with pulses.

The wikipedia entry is correct as written.

In the real world, the output of an amateur transmitter will seldom
be exactly 50 Ohms unless there is an adjustable network of some
sort.

--
Jim Pennino
Old July 5th 15, 01:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/3/2015 1:06 PM, Wayne wrote:

As for EZNEC and transmission lines, I have never done that, but plan to
when I can. I don't follow how to do it.

Put a short piece of wire somewhere away from the antenna. Move your
source to this short piece of wire. Connect your transmission line
between the short wire and the antenna where you previously had the
source. Put the required line info into the transmission line box(es).
Start with a velocity factor of 1 and an attenuation of 0dB. You should
get the same results as before you moved your source. Then you can
adjust the Vf and loss based on the characteristics of the line that you
can find on line.

Cheers
John N1JLS

Old July 5th 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message ,
writes

wrote:
[...]

Being essentially a simple soul, that's how I sometimes try to work out
what happening.

The wikipedia entry is correct as written.

In the real world, the output of an amateur transmitter will seldom
be exactly 50 Ohms unless there is an adjustable network of some
sort.

I've always understood that the resistive part of a TX output impedance
was usually less than 50 ohms.

If a transmitter output impedance WAS 50 ohms, I would have thought that
the efficiency of the output stage could never exceed 50% (and aren't
class-C PAs supposed to be around 66.%?). Also, as much power would be
dissipated in the PA stage as in the load.

--
Ian