Old August 14th 04, 02:00 PM
Dick, AA5VU

Default William Fanckboner, W9INN, SK

The following QST from ARRL makes me sad. I recall working Bill, W9INN,
on CW in the early days with my WT7AAN call and was thrilled to say I
was using a W9INN 40/80 dipole. His antenna is still in use at my QTH
with additional legs added for other bands. Bill was an asset to our
hobby and will be missed. I learned a lot about antennas from his
detailed instructions provided with each antenna and will always
remember the smallest ad in QST from W9INN.

Dick, AA5VU

* William Fanckboner, W9INN, SK: William E. "Bill" Fanckboner, W9INN, of
Mt Prospect, Illinois--the proprietor of W9INN Antennas--died July 30. He
was 80. W9INN Antennas will die with him. "He did all of the work by
himself, so it is effectively out of business," said his daughter, Robin
Randall. "He was the business." Refunds will be mailed to those with
existing orders

other text cut

------ End of Forwarded Message
Old August 14th 04, 04:16 PM
Uncle Peter

"Dick, AA5VU" wrote in message
The following QST from ARRL makes me sad. I recall working Bill, W9INN,
on CW in the early days with my WT7AAN call and was thrilled to say I
was using a W9INN 40/80 dipole. His antenna is still in use at my QTH
with additional legs added for other bands. Bill was an asset to our
hobby and will be missed. I learned a lot about antennas from his
detailed instructions provided with each antenna and will always
remember the smallest ad in QST from W9INN.

Dick, AA5VU

Sad to see another member of the mom-and-pop radio community pass,
in this age of everything being made in the Pacific Rim.

Pete

Old August 16th 04, 03:38 AM
garigue

"Dick, AA5VU" wrote in message
The following QST from ARRL makes me sad. I recall working Bill, W9INN,
on CW in the early days with my WT7AAN call and was thrilled to say I
was using a W9INN 40/80 dipole. His antenna is still in use at my QTH
with additional legs added for other bands. Bill was an asset to our
hobby and will be missed. I learned a lot about antennas from his
detailed instructions provided with each antenna and will always
remember the smallest ad in QST from W9INN.

Dick, AA5VU

Nice fellow ...may he rest in peace ....

KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old August 16th 04, 09:51 PM
Old Ed

Hi Dick -

Thanks for passing along this very bad news. It is sad to lose
a fine OM like Bill, under any circumstances.

But all of us with an interest in wire antennas will be markedly
poorer because of this. IMHO, Bill's antennas were not merely
the best on the market; they were more numerous and better than
than all the competitors that I know of, COMBINED!

So this is a big, big hit for those who enjoyed the convenience
of buying turn-key, well-engineered, multi-band wire antennas.

I'm very glad I have my two W9INN multi-band dipoles--but
I'm very sorry I won't be able to replace them, or add to the "farm."

RIP, Bill. Thanks so much for increasing my enjoyment of the hobby.

73, Ed W6LOL

Old August 17th 04, 08:22 PM
Butch

Thanks for the silent key notice of W9INN. I never met Bill in person,
but we had several "twisted pair" QSOs over the years. He was a good
Elmer to this old man and I will miss him every time I have a bright
idea about multiband dipoles. I love my W9INN 80-10, and I hope that
the family can keep up the business.

Butch Magee, KF5DE

Old August 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Dick, AA5VU

Butch,

The full ARRL blurb said something about the daughter sending refunds
to back orders that the business is closed. I did not save the full
text.

Dick, aa5vu

Old August 20th 04, 02:05 PM
G.Beat

"Dick, AA5VU" wrote in message
Butch,

The full ARRL blurb said something about the daughter sending refunds
to back orders that the business is closed. I did not save the full
text.

Dick, aa5vu

Yes, I also read this. When you consider the number of firms in the
Chicago area that could have handled this business -- this is another loss
for our area.

Greg, w9gb