Old September 14th 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default the short antenna, matched to its feeder, that returns power to its source.

Taking one's cue from the Alford Slot Antenna, let us propose the use of the
fields in
the air gap of a parallel plate capacitor as the source of RF radiation.

To do this, we will terminate our 50 ohm coax with a series LC circuit of 50
ohm
resistive impedances (so one will be 25+jX and the other 25-jX) at the
operating
frequency.

Very little of the energy supplied to our antenna will be radiated, and most
will be stored
as energy in the resonant LC circuit, until such time as the stored energy
outdoes the incoming energy,and
the LC circuit will now act as an energy source, sending it back down the
coax.

So, we'll have a short antenna, matched to its feeder, that is not radiating
all the power fed to it, and
is returning some of that power back down the coax.

(An even simpler case, although it would give a reactiv match, would be the
capacitor alone, but think
for one minute, why do you get the 90 degrees phase relationship between the
volts and current
in a capacitor? Because it acts like an energy source in its own right!

Old September 14th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna gareth wrote:
Taking one's cue from the Alford Slot Antenna, let us propose the use of the
fields in
the air gap of a parallel plate capacitor as the source of RF radiation.

Slot antennas get added to the list of things Gareth doesn't understand.

A parallel plate capacitor is nothing like a slot antenna of any kind
and does not radiate like an antenna.

To do this, we will terminate our 50 ohm coax

Slot antennas are fed with waveguide.

with a series LC circuit of 50
ohm
resistive impedances (so one will be 25+jX and the other 25-jX) at the
operating
frequency.

That would be two 25 Ohm resistors, one of which is slightly capacitive
and the other slightly inductive.

Very little of the energy supplied to our antenna will be radiated,

This part is correct; it will mostly be heat dissipated in the two
25 Ohm resistors in series.

and most
will be stored
as energy in the resonant LC circuit,

Nope, dissipated as heat in the resistors.

until such time as the stored energy
outdoes the incoming energy,and
the LC circuit will now act as an energy source, sending it back down the
coax.

Series LC circuits get added to the list of things Gareth doesn't understand.

So, we'll have a short antenna, matched to its feeder, that is not radiating
all the power fed to it, and
is returning some of that power back down the coax.

Gibberish.

(An even simpler case, although it would give a reactiv match, would be the
capacitor alone, but think
for one minute, why do you get the 90 degrees phase relationship between the
volts and current
in a capacitor? Because it acts like an energy source in its own right!

For a quarter cycle for AC.

Capacitors get added to the list of things Gareth doesn't understand.

--
Jim Pennino
Old September 14th 15, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 9/14/2015 11:14 AM, gareth wrote:
Taking one's cue from the Alford Slot Antenna, let us propose the use of the
fields in
the air gap of a parallel plate capacitor as the source of RF radiation.

To do this, we will terminate our 50 ohm coax with a series LC circuit of 50
ohm
resistive impedances (so one will be 25+jX and the other 25-jX) at the
operating
frequency.

I think your intent and your values don't correspond. The +jX and -jX
terms are correct for the imaginary parts of the impedances, but you
don't want the capacitor and inductor to have 25 ohms each of
dissipative, real resistance do you? That would leave nothing for the
transmission resistance if you were to radiate any energy. So either
you would be designing an antenna at other than 50 ohms impedance, or
you are trying to design an antenna which doesn't radiate.

Very little of the energy supplied to our antenna will be radiated, and most
will be stored
as energy in the resonant LC circuit, until such time as the stored energy
outdoes the incoming energy,and
the LC circuit will now act as an energy source, sending it back down the
coax.

Not sure what you are trying to say with this. Why would the LC circuit
ever send power back down the feed line?

So, we'll have a short antenna, matched to its feeder, that is not radiating
all the power fed to it, and
is returning some of that power back down the coax.

The antenna you describe will be absorbing and dissipating nearly all
the energy it receives from the feed line as heat in the capacitor and
inductor.

(An even simpler case, although it would give a reactiv match, would be the
capacitor alone, but think
for one minute, why do you get the 90 degrees phase relationship between the
volts and current
in a capacitor? Because it acts like an energy source in its own right!

Not so much when it has a resistance of 25 ohms dissipating a huge
amount of power on each cycle.

--

Rick
Old September 14th 15, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"rickman" wrote in message
[...]

Oops! Yes, of course you are right; too much typing and not enough thought
:-)

What I was trying to picture was a series LC circuit presenting a
non-reacitve
impedance of 50 ohms.

Old September 14th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:37:11 -0000
wrote:

To do this, we will terminate our 50 ohm coax

Slot antennas are fed with waveguide.

Not always, it's very easy to feed them with microstrip or stripline.

And the Alford Slot, developed for 23 cm, was fed with coax.

Has Jimmy Pendulumino once more jumped in, in his haste to want
to be abusive, and again demonstrated his very limited knowledge?

Old September 14th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

To do this, we will terminate our 50 ohm coax

Slot antennas are fed with waveguide.

Not always, it's very easy to feed them with microstrip or stripline.

True, but certainly not coax.

--
Jim Pennino
Old September 14th 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 9/14/2015 12:06 PM, gareth wrote:
"rickman" wrote in message
[...]

So should I assume you intended to say the capacitor and inductor have
complex impedances of 0 ± jX ohms are are in series with the 50 ohm
radiation resistance? Or do you want the antenna to have a lower
impedance than 50 ohms?

--

Rick
Old September 14th 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

Slot antennas get added to the list of things Gareth doesn't understand.

Series LC circuits get added to the list of things Gareth doesn't understand.

Capacitors get added to the list of things Gareth doesn't understand.

Also on that list;

DSP
Tuning an FT101
Reaching further than a quarter mile on a car CB
Mounting a successful defence in court

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old September 15th 15, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Slot antennas are fed with waveguide.

Not always, it's very easy to feed them with microstrip or stripline.

True, but certainly not coax.

For once Gareth is correct, slot antennas can be, and are, fed with
coax. A quick Google or look in the RSGB VHF/UHF Handbook with show
several designs, mostly for 23cms and above.

Jeff
Old September 15th 15, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
For once Gareth is correct, slot antennas can be, and are, fed with

coax. A quick Google or look in the RSGB VHF/UHF Handbook with show
several designs, mostly for 23cms and above.

Those are not slot antennas but Alford Slot Antennas from the name of the
inventor.
I don't think it can be said that it is only the gap that radiates .
For me those antennas are more behaving like magnetic loops in horizontal
polarisation made of a very wide flat conductor
The slot is the capacitor and also a parallel transmission line
Both not supposed to radiate.

Short antenna = reduced power gareth Antenna 35 October 22nd 14 07:04 PM
ANTENNA TWINLEAD FEEDER folio Antenna 5 September 2nd 04 03:24 AM
Emergency power source KC8WVG , Bill Equipment 0 March 28th 04 05:09 PM
Source for power transformer Tweetldee Homebrew 9 August 10th 03 04:22 AM
Another source for $9.95 Bell & Howell Short wave radio Diverd4777 Shortwave 10 August 5th 03 09:56 PM