Old October 17th 15, 02:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default PL259 (again)

Is there a recommended way of getting the coax out of a previously-used and
cable-cut
PL259 but without overheating and distending the PTFE****** core?

(Had to cut the plug from the shed end of the cable when removing the 2m
colinear to a new location,
5 ft lower than it was , but still sited well enough to enable one to vomit
when listening to
the CB types (M3 & M6 licensees) on the distant repeaters.

***** polytetrafluoroethylene IIRC, but when used for plumbing, it stands
for,
"Plastic Tape For Engineers" :-)

Old October 17th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Is there a recommended way of getting the coax out of a previously-used
and cable-cut
PL259 but without overheating and distending the PTFE****** core?

Drill out the holes. Center conductor should be easy to unsolder then if
you use a big enough gun/iron to heat it fast.

Old October 17th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
Is there a recommended way of getting the coax out of a previously-used
and cable-cut
PL259 but without overheating and distending the PTFE****** core?

Drill out the holes. Center conductor should be easy to unsolder then if
you use a big enough gun/iron to heat it fast.

Of course, thank-you. Simple when you think of it, but I was envisaging
a difficult desoldering operation.

Having two technical pursuits here, amateur radio and model engineering, I
very
rarely think of mixing the two :-(

Old October 17th 15, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message

Drill out the holes. Center conductor should be easy to unsolder then if
you use a big enough gun/iron to heat it fast.

Of course, thank-you. Simple when you think of it, but I was envisaging
a difficult desoldering operation.

While I am thinking about it, it usually works beter if you can cut the
shield and dielectric back so you just have about an inch or so of the
center conductor sticking out the back. Put the pl259 in a vise and heat
the center pin and pull the center conductor out the back with some pliers.
The do the drill out the holes thing.

I don't often reuse old pl259s, and have gone to the crimp type now.

Old October 17th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Drill out the holes. Center conductor should be easy to unsolder then
if you use a big enough gun/iron to heat it fast.

Of course, thank-you. Simple when you think of it, but I was envisaging
a difficult desoldering operation.

While I am thinking about it, it usually works beter if you can cut the
shield and dielectric back so you just have about an inch or so of the
center conductor sticking out the back. Put the pl259 in a vise and heat
the center pin and pull the center conductor out the back with some
pliers. The do the drill out the holes thing.

I don't often reuse old pl259s, and have gone to the crimp type now.

Othere have recommended the same, but having just emptied the money
box for an FT450-D, I really must use up the stocks of used PL259s

Old October 18th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Drill out the holes. Center conductor should be easy to unsolder then
if you use a big enough gun/iron to heat it fast.

Of course, thank-you. Simple when you think of it, but I was envisaging
a difficult desoldering operation.

While I am thinking about it, it usually works beter if you can cut the
shield and dielectric back so you just have about an inch or so of the
center conductor sticking out the back. Put the pl259 in a vise and heat
the center pin and pull the center conductor out the back with some
pliers. The do the drill out the holes thing.

I can't report back today as we've been out all day as fence judges at an
equestrian cross-country event,
(See http://www.westwilts.com/), and tomorrow we are going to supervise
three Irishmen (Tree Fellers :-) )
round the corner dealing with my mother-in-law's gigantic fir tree..

Hopefully on Tuesday I'll be able to thank you for the success of your
suggestion.

Old October 20th 15, 11:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Ralph, thanks a million, worked a dream.

Old October 20th 15, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Drill out the holes. Center conductor should be easy to unsolder then
if you use a big enough gun/iron to heat it fast.
Of course, thank-you. Simple when you think of it, but I was envisaging
a difficult desoldering operation.
While I am thinking about it, it usually works beter if you can cut the
shield and dielectric back so you just have about an inch or so of the
center conductor sticking out the back. Put the pl259 in a vise and
heat the center pin and pull the center conductor out the back with some
pliers. The do the drill out the holes thing.

Ralph, thanks a million, worked a dream.

Glad it worked out for you..

The little holes in PL259 gareth Antenna 51 October 24th 15 02:42 PM
Female PL259? Dave Platt Antenna 6 September 5th 06 12:28 PM
RCA - PL259 (female)? Lisa Simpson Shortwave 5 June 14th 06 09:00 PM
Metric PL259? Airy R. Bean Homebrew 26 August 30th 04 12:16 PM
PL259 Query Airy R. Bean Homebrew 2 August 9th 04 02:24 PM