RadioBanter

-   -   More W8JI "wisdom" (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/2223-more-w8ji-%22wisdom%22.html)

Yuri Blanarovich August 21st 04 04:16 PM

More W8JI "wisdom"

On TopBand reflector the "guru" proclaimed:

"The only thing that prevents people from shooting themselves
in the foot with the wire below the Beverage is the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy, and of course that means it doesn't help with
stability or termination."

So if you want wire to be lossy, jus' lay it on the ground! :-)
.... and the "worshipers" nodded in amazement

Believing W8JI claims can be hazardous to your radios. :-)

Yuri da BUm

drwxr-xr-x August 21st 04 04:49 PM

On 21 Aug 2004 15:16:49 GMT, self-important Yuri Blanarovich
failed a maturity test:

On TopBand reflector the "guru" proclaimed:

*plonk*

dtdonaly August 21st 04 06:50 PM

If you take issue with something Tom wrote, why not
just deal with him direct?
73,
Tom Donaly KA6RUH

Uncle Peter August 21st 04 07:20 PM

"dtdonaly" wrote in message
If you take issue with something Tom wrote, why not
just deal with him direct?
73,
Tom Donaly KA6RUH

Or, open it for discussion in that forum?

Pete

Peter Parker August 21st 04 11:03 PM

" Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"dtdonaly" wrote in message
If you take issue with something Tom wrote, why not
just deal with him direct?
73,
Tom Donaly KA6RUH

Tom must be doing something right - he's the only US station I've ever
worked on 160m (with 5 watts QRP & a very modest end-fed wire by the way).

73, Peter VK3YE http://www.qsl.net/vk3ye

Yuri Blanarovich August 22nd 04 04:03 PM

If you take issue with something Tom wrote, why not
just deal with him direct?
73,
Tom Donaly KA6RUH

I had my share of dealing with Tom direct and pointing out wrong information
that he was spreading on the waves of Internet. For that I was attacked by him
and called "pathological scientist" rather than engaging in reasoning and
discussions. When I tried to defend the truth and reality on the reflectors, I
would be unsubscribed by Herr Administrator and Tom was given last word,
"proving" he is "right". To those reflectors I never came back and one of them
is TopBand. This is #7 gross misstatement from Tom that I am pointing out. I
mentioned it here for the benefit of those who care. If anyone wants to worship
W8JI and his "pontifical" statements that are sometimes wrong, be my guest.

Tom must be doing something right - he's the only US station I've ever
worked on 160m (with 5 watts QRP & a very modest end-fed wire by the way).

73, Peter VK3YE http://www.qsl.net/vk3ye

...and that proves that everything Tom says is right?

People can be wrong, and usually appreciate if they are corrected or shown
better way. W8JI seems to be "absolutely right" even when he is wrong. He would
first ridicule the one who tries to correct his misconceptions. Then if
argument ensues and he realizes and is convinced that he was wrong, he would
not admit it, but goes quiet for a while and later emerges as a "guru" on the
subject pretending it was all his invention. He is doing some things right, but
he has this attitude that does not reflect well on hams and it is not manly to
attack someone for bringing up correction, and then making it his own
"invention", not giving credit where is due. That is called plagiarism.
So, I brought this up for those who care about reality, and I am taking
advantage for ability to post here, where reflector Gestapo will not silence
me. Tom is hanging around reflectors where he is protected by administrators,
when he encounters knowledgeable opposition to some of his fallacies, he can't
take the heat, will not admit being wrong and goes and thrives behind reflector
Gestapo. I am not looking for fights, I am trying to point out when I see
something posted publicly wrong.

If anyone cares to discuss the subject, or explain how the conductor laid on
the ground can lose its conductivity, bring it on. I can't figure out how this
could happen and I would enjoy being enlightened.

73 Yuri, K3BU.us

[email protected] August 22nd 04 04:26 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

People can be wrong, and usually appreciate if they are corrected or shown better way.

Are you the same Yuri Blanarovich that cheated a lot of people,
including me, out of issues of "RadioSporting" Magazine a number of
years ago? Seem's you need to be shown the better way.

Henry WA0GOZ

Yuri Blanarovich August 22nd 04 05:38 PM

Are you the same Yuri Blanarovich that cheated a lot of people,
including me, out of issues of "RadioSporting" Magazine a number of
years ago? Seem's you need to be shown the better way.

Henry WA0GOZ

Henry,
I would be very careful who are you calling cheater!
According to my records, WA0GOZ, you were sent few free issues in the
beginning, never subscribed, never paid the dime.
Can you send me label from your last issue and how much do I owe you? Now I can
refund anyone requesting so.
Interesting that most noise about Radiosporting is made by people who didn't
subscribe but are somehow "cheated".

For your information, I "invested" over $70,000 of my money and sleepless
nights into publishing magazine that would serve DXers and contesters. When due
to financial, family and health reasons I could not do so anymore, no one came
forward offering help, NCJ went in competition to "bury" me rather than
cooperate, I am glad to be still around and not joining likes of late W4AN.
Just read the crap on eHam.net when W4AN was in bind, requested some help and
bunch of whiny cheap hamsters drove him off, rather then contributing and
helping someone who was so dedicated to our beloved hobby. There are quite a
few sickos around and they project themselves with their postings.

73 Yuri

[email protected] August 22nd 04 06:53 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Are you the same Yuri Blanarovich that cheated a lot of people,
including me, out of issues of "RadioSporting" Magazine a number of
years ago? Seem's you need to be shown the better way.

Henry WA0GOZ

Henry,
I would be very careful who are you calling cheater!
According to my records, WA0GOZ, you were sent few free issues in the
beginning, never subscribed, never paid the dime.

That's not true. I paid for everything, but didn't get all I paid for.

Can you send me label from your last issue and how much do I owe you?

No I can't. I junked the copies I had.

Interesting that most noise about Radiosporting is made by people who didn't subscribe but are somehow "cheated".

I wasn't one of them if you want people on this NG to believe that. I
did subscribe.

Henry WA0GOZ

Reg Edwards August 22nd 04 07:58 PM

Yuri, I agree in general with your, not out of place, semi-technical
sentiments.

But regarding lossy wires, laid on the ground, as for a Beverage which is
often supposed to depend on ground loss, we must be very careful of making a
virtue out of a vice.

I venture to say the higher an LF Beverage was above the ground the more
efficient, both on receive and transmit, it would have become. The reason a
wire as long the Beverage was so near to the ground was because of the high
cost of a lot of very tall poles.

The rest is old-wives' tales.

Or have I inadvertently changed the subject?
---
Reg.

Cecil Moore August 22nd 04 08:36 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
People can be wrong, and usually appreciate if they are corrected or shown
better way.

To be fair, W8JI usually slowly moves himself off his always/never
rail position to a more reasonable often/hardly-ever position. Some
time ago, he and others on this newsgroup asserted that absolutely
nothing changes when one moves the balun from the tuner output to
the tuner input. The subject came up recently on eHam.net.

W8JI wrote:
If you draw a floating network on paper and look at what happens,
you'll see moving the balun results in the same stress on the core
regardless of the side of the tuner the balun is on.

i.e. a paper solution indicates that nothing changes, but ...

In real life, stray capacitances from the network to ground modify
the behavior of the system when the balun is moved, but the change
is generally both small and unpreditable.

i.e. changes can and do actually happen in the real world.

As in any distributed network configuration with reflections, if the
balun changes the phase between the forward common-mode current and
the reflected common-mode current, that can shift the location of
the common-mode current nodes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

J. McLaughlin August 22nd 04 10:51 PM

Dear Group:
I have read several times the quotation that has prompted
discussion. (see below) The statement uses "it" too many times for me
to know what is being contended. The statement mentions shooting,
stability, termination, and at least one wire as a Beverage (wave)
antenna.
As we all know, Beverage's wave antenna is used on receiving for its
directivity and rarely is used as a transmitting antenna.

My request is to see a clear statement in Standard English (BCC
English is ok) of what W8JI is contending.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 12:42 AM

Can you send me label from your last issue and how much do I owe you?

No I can't. I junked the copies I had.

Interesting that most noise about Radiosporting is made by people who
didn't subscribe but are somehow "cheated".

I wasn't one of them if you want people on this NG to believe that. I
did subscribe.

Henry WA0GOZ

I have the printouts of all issues that were sent out. According to my records
you received last free issue of Radiosporting 8601 - Jan. 1986. The only
subscribers with WA0 calls were WA0JRP, WA0NPK and later WA0WOF. You and WA0EUP
received only freebies and I have no record of subscriptions. Somebody is
making things up or dreaming and making false accusations.

Just wonder what the Radiosporting has to do with my posting?

73 Yuri

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 12:58 AM

Reg,
the subject of discussion on TopBand reflector was conductivity of earth under
the beverage or effect of wire placed on the ground and its effect on the
preformance of the Beverage antenna (above). Here is the repeat of W8JI portion
of the posting on this subject:

The only thing that prevents people from shooting themselves

in the foot with the wire below the Beverage is the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy, and of course that means it doesn't help with
stability or termination.

- "" wire below the Beverage"" there is aconsiderable discussion on this
subject there.
My problem is with the statement " the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy"
As far as I know, to make wire lossy, one must increase resistance by some
means. In my book, wire maintains its conductivity regardless what it is laying
on, and that overrides the effect of lossy ground underneath.

Speaking of Beverages and their poor performance over good ground or salt
water, most people find it is true, some claim still good performance on LF and
MF. While operating from VE1ZZ place and using his beverages, he has one that
is running over the rocky ground, slightly down hill, 90 deg towards the salt
water and it is terminated via resistor into the stainless steel hubcap in the
salt water. That sucker beats anything else we tried, pair of staggered
beverages or phased ones. So it appears that Beverage stretched over poor
ground but terminated in the good ground beats their "better" cousins. We are
talking about 160 - 40m and definitely not using it for transmit.
This is reality in by old wives.

Regards, Yuri, K3BU.us

[email protected] August 23rd 04 12:59 AM

I just looked through a bunch of old mags and found one from you. I is
the April/May 1989 issue. Funny how I didn't subscribe, but I have a
copy with a mailing label with a date later than your "records". mmmmmm.

Henry WA0GOZ

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 01:05 AM

My request is to see a clear statement in Standard English (BCC
English is ok) of what W8JI is contending.

73 Mac N8TT

Judge by yourself, here is the complete posting, rest of the discussion is on
http://lists.contesting.com/archives...-08/index.html
Yuri

I'd say that given "average" elevation angles for DX, you

should treat both
arrival elevation angle and tilt from ground loss as being

roughly equal
factors.

None of that matters anyway Chuck when the pattern of the
antenna isn't any good. We know a lot more about antenna
patterns and how antennas respond over earth than we did
back in the earlier part of the 20th century.

The fact is we want the horizontal area of the antenna to
have as much response as possible. If we put a wire below
the antenna that *really* changed things we know by where it
is located it could only make things worse.

A Beverage responds in the horizontal area only because of
the high loss in the media below the antenna. Without a
highly conductive media below the antenna, it's a cloverleaf
with a null off the ends caused by the vertical ends
dominating the response.
It's all in the antenna pattern. We can have all the tilted
wave we like but if the antenna has a zero response slice
looking at it and major lobes 20dB stronger 45 degrees to
either and off both ends, we won't be very happy with the
results.

The only thing that prevents people from shooting themselves
in the foot with the wire below the Beverage is the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy, and of course that means it doesn't help with
stability or termination.

If you think it does, lay a very long wire on the ground and
measure the input impedance. See how it looks compared to a
~50 ohm ground rod connection....I guarantee it won't look
pretty.

73 Tom

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 01:11 AM

This is reality in by old wives.

Huh? :-)
Maybe I was trying to say "This is reality even by old wives?"

I must be watching US beach volleyball chicks in their bikinis too much. They
won anyway and go to finals for gold. GO US!

Yuri, K3BUm

Richard Clark August 23rd 04 01:19 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:51:47 -0400, "J. McLaughlin"
wrote:

I have read several times the quotation that has prompted
discussion. (see below) The statement uses "it" too many times for me
to know what is being contended.

My request is to see a clear statement in Standard English (BCC
English is ok) of what W8JI is contending.

Hi Mac,

The danger of this is these "arguments" (offered on the behalf of a
otherwise silent party) is that they have every chance of being under
reported, and over extended. It quickly devolves to "so-and-so
thinks...." to triumphantly prove it-just-ain't-so.

It reminds me of past statements offered as V9SRB's logic in his
behalf that never were suggested by him nor even intimated. As a
one-time shot against a full statement, I suppose that is enough to
critique, but I have seen this hothouse orchid bloom into fully
fleshed philosophies projected onto the silent protagonist by
unrelated statements forced into continuity by the critic presuming a
sub-context.

If Yuri, you have some beef against Tom, I can fully concur in his
personality taking you there. Has he offered howlers? You bet! Is
he guilty of other rhetorical shenanigans - don't we know. Is he
demonstrably skilled? Well, yes, that too.

[warning to readers, metaphors employed to a sly comic interlude]

Suffice it to say no Radio Moscow program ever interviewed a Radio
Free Europe commentator to serious issues - why would you expect such
a re-alignment of the heavens for your sake?

Ask George W for help; you might find he would take on the evil Dr.
Joyce Brothers to solve our moral problems with Howard Stern. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

J. McLaughlin August 23rd 04 03:15 AM

Dear Richard and others:
You have helped me to understand what the issues are likely to be,
what they could be, and even a glimpse of what they might become.
I shall file in my list of
interesting-things-to-think-about-in-a-serious-way the issue of what
happens to the behavior a wave antenna having a "wire" on the ground
directly under the antenna wire. I do recall dealing with a similar
issue where I was verifying a modeling issue by testing the Zo of a very
long wire over a conducting plane. Might be a paper in there somewhere.

It reminds me of a fundamentals of mathematics class that I took
from Prof. Halmos. Perhaps his greatest genius was his ability
frequently to suggest interesting problems.

I shall exit stage right 'till I have "thunk" through the
interesting bits. Thank you for your assistance.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 03:39 AM

I just looked through a bunch of old mags and found one from you. I is
the April/May 1989 issue. Funny how I didn't subscribe, but I have a
copy with a mailing label with a date later than your "records". mmmmmm.

Henry WA0GOZ

Can you describe what is on the label, with codes if any please?

Thanks, Yuri

Richard Clark August 23rd 04 03:48 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:15:56 -0400, "J. McLaughlin"
wrote:

I shall file in my list of
interesting-things-to-think-about-in-a-serious-way the issue of what
happens to the behavior a wave antenna having a "wire" on the ground
directly under the antenna wire. I do recall dealing with a similar
issue where I was verifying a modeling issue by testing the Zo of a very
long wire over a conducting plane.

Hi Mac,

Where the discussion remains technical, it seems to me that both Tom
and Yuri are saying the same thing. On the other hand, they may say
it differently, but the conclusions seem to agree.

Your experience and studies to this point would be instructive.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 04:11 AM

KB7QHC:
Where the discussion remains technical, it seems to me that both Tom
and Yuri are saying the same thing. On the other hand, they may say
it differently, but the conclusions seem to agree.

Huh? Which "same thing?"

Yuri

[email protected] August 23rd 04 04:30 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

I just looked through a bunch of old mags and found one from you. I is
the April/May 1989 issue. Funny how I didn't subscribe, but I have a
copy with a mailing label with a date later than your "records". mmmmmm.

Henry WA0GOZ

Can you describe what is on the label, with codes if any please?

Thanks, Yuri

Sure

WA0GOZ S 9005
Henry Knoll
10081 103rd St. No.
Stillwater
MN 55082

Richard Clark August 23rd 04 05:03 AM

On 23 Aug 2004 03:11:29 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

KB7QHC:
Where the discussion remains technical, it seems to me that both Tom
and Yuri are saying the same thing. On the other hand, they may say
it differently, but the conclusions seem to agree.

Huh? Which "same thing?"

Yuri

Which difference?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Ed Price August 23rd 04 10:11 AM

wrote in message ...
Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

I just looked through a bunch of old mags and found one from you. I is
the April/May 1989 issue. Funny how I didn't subscribe, but I have a
copy with a mailing label with a date later than your "records".

mmmmmm.

Henry WA0GOZ

Can you describe what is on the label, with codes if any please?

Thanks, Yuri

Sure

WA0GOZ S 9005
Henry Knoll
10081 103rd St. No.
Stillwater
MN 55082

Wow, that's looks like hard proof to me. Now Yuri can refund a couple of
dollars to Henry, gain spiritual peace over resolving that debt from 1989,
and the world will be a better place for all.

Maybe I could get all those deceased computer mags from the 1980's to refund
their defaulted subscription balances to me, and I could go have a
magnificent banquet dinner for two at McDonalds.

Ed
wb6wsn

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 01:59 PM

KB7QHC:
Where the discussion remains technical, it seems to me that both Tom
and Yuri are saying the same thing. On the other hand, they may say
it differently, but the conclusions seem to agree.

Huh? Which "same thing?"

Yuri

Which difference?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

What are you refering to? Can you be more specific?
Wire laying on the ground "changing" resistance or terminating Beverage in the
ocean?

Yuri

Richard Clark August 23rd 04 04:25 PM

On 23 Aug 2004 12:59:45 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:
Wire laying on the ground "changing" resistance

Hi Yuri,

As Mac said, there are many "its" in the quote. However the vague
combinations do not resolve to different interpretations as you
persist. The extra wire leads to the same conclusion you BOTH
describe and that is Beverage-like antenna characteristics. As that
is a unique consequence of ground's retarding the wavefront, it
necessarily follows that Tom maintains (and directly states) that the
extra wire does NOT interfere with that action. He states why - tight
coupling. He no where states that metallic copper assumes ohmic loss
as the loss is a consequence of proximity to earth. Further, I've
seen no statement from you or Tom that maintains the extra wire
destroys the Beverage-like antenna characteristic, hence there is not
a hair's width difference between you two.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 10:56 PM

Can you describe what is on the label, with codes if any please?

Thanks, Yuri

Sure

WA0GOZ S

You are right, I found it on the computer.Printed listings missed it, because I
received your check on 89/06/06 after the regular 8905 issue was mailed, your
payment arrived later, I sent you 8905 issue and it didn't show up on the
printout. Searching computer I found it. I have mailed check with refund today.
I am sorry for mixup, comments and above all, that I was not able to continue
publishing and sinking money into Radiosporting. I am still hoping to scan old
issues and perhaps continue with it on Internet (no money outlay for printing),
but only as time permitting.

I am glad we could sort thing out.

73 Yuri

Yuri Blanarovich August 23rd 04 11:32 PM

[...]

First of all, I have not done experiments to compare single wire Beverages vs.
dual wire, with the other wire being laid underneath the Beverage.
I had the problem with statement "the wire below the Beverage is the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy" as far as I know wire maintains it's conductivity regardless where it is
laid. Perhaps more accurate statement would be that wire laying on the ground
becomes less significant in its contribution to the performance of the above
Beverage.
But because the "ground" wire is connected typically at the termination point
and at the feedpoint to the Beverage system, I am not sure that it can be
"ignored". Some claim this forms the "open wire" parallel system and has
significant effect on the Beverage performance. There is dispute as far signal
arrival angles are concerned, some signals get subjected to wave tilt due to
poor ground, some signals have their own tilt due to propagation and terrain
effects.
To find out the reality, the exact systems should be compared in various
situations. Modeling might not provide fool proof answers due to some programs
having hard time to model reality, that can be confused by varying ground
characteristics along the Beverage.

Yuri, K3BU

[email protected] August 24th 04 12:41 AM

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message

Hi Yuri,

snipirst of all, I have not done experiments to compare single wire
Beverages vs.
dual wire, with the other wire being laid underneath the Beverage.
I had the problem with statement "the wire below the Beverage is the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy" as far as I know wire maintains it's conductivity regardless where

it is
laid.

Yuri
Wire conductivity may not be pertinent in this case as "coupling" can reduce
the applied current
I would be extremely surprised if Tom inferred that wire conductivity
changed.
Regards

Art

Richard Clark August 24th 04 01:54 AM

On 23 Aug 2004 22:32:00 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:
I had the problem with statement "the wire below the Beverage is the wire
couples to the lossy media below it so well it becomes very
lossy" as far as I know wire maintains it's conductivity regardless where it is
laid.

Hi Yuri,

In fact, no one has said otherwise. It follows of common sense unless
ground were exceptionally conductive such that its magnetic field were
to compress the skin-effect layer of the wire. If that were so, it
would be a new world for us all.

Perhaps more accurate statement would be that wire laying on the ground
becomes less significant in its contribution to the performance of the above
Beverage.

Quite so - if demonstrable.

To find out the reality, the exact systems should be compared in various
situations. Modeling might not provide fool proof answers due to some programs
having hard time to model reality, that can be confused by varying ground
characteristics along the Beverage.

C'mon now, with only two or three wires involved? The only problem
modeling programs have difficulty with are with modelers.

I compared two such designs. Nothing very involved with a 3M high
100M long Beverage operating in the 80M band (perhaps not long enough,
I will let others do their best if they find fault). I then compared
it with another which had a wire running below it 1cM above ground
level. The two showed more than 8dB difference with the ground wire
model clearly lossier (EZNEC declared at that same 8dB).

Now, I know that such antennas are not designed to be transmit
antennas (and again, perhaps too short to boot); so I will leave that
to others to engage as a receive antenna if they doubt reciprocity (or
I will do that later this eve for them as I often have to).

Yuri, the problem with you arguing Tom's position is that nothing is
said of this glaring difference. It is quite remarkable (or I made
some remarkable mistake or the wire is just too short as I mentioned)
and it DOES denote a dramatic departure from accepted Beverage
characteristics which has been undisclosed as a comment from Tom, if
in fact he offered it. This 8dB loss does make sense in that you have
a leaky transmission line in a death embrace with ground. The wires
would split the power and the lower power contribution would certainly
attempt to warm the worms with more gusto.
[ IF perhaps we were to employ the old twinlead twist every foot or
so, we might find things evened out ;-) ]

I will let that simmer for this evening.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich August 24th 04 01:45 PM

Yuri, the problem with you arguing Tom's position is that nothing is
said of this glaring difference. It is quite remarkable (or I made
some remarkable mistake or the wire is just too short as I mentioned)
and it DOES denote a dramatic departure from accepted Beverage
characteristics which has been undisclosed as a comment from Tom, if
in fact he offered it. This 8dB loss does make sense in that you have
a leaky transmission line in a death embrace with ground. The wires
would split the power and the lower power contribution would certainly
attempt to warm the worms with more gusto.
[ IF perhaps we were to employ the old twinlead twist every foot or
so, we might find things evened out ;-) ]

I will let that simmer for this evening.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Here is the perhaps the best outline of the "problem" by VE7DXR and you might
want to try to plug it into program to see the correlation.
Yuri

Observations done here 8 and 15 years ago using a 600m Beverage on the MW

broadcast band seem to verify the above statement. Even though the DC
resistance of the wire is naturally very low, it was found that the
"counterpoise" lying on the ground underneath the antenna, and connecting the
ground rod at the far end of the Beverage with the ground rod at the receiver
end's matching transformer, in fact, was acting like a "Beverage on Ground",
rather than a short circuit between ground rods. That is, it delivered a signal
to the grounded side of the matching transformer. The result was that signal
strengths often were stronger from transmitters broadside to the antenna (10 dB
or so), the occasional solid nulls on signals from the back of the antenna were
degraded, and little increase in signal strength from signals from the far end
of the antenna were observed.

Those of us who performed this experiment stopped using "counterpoises" from
that point forward, unless we used them as antennas in their own right.
best wishes,
Nick, VE7DXR

Richard Clark August 24th 04 04:49 PM

On 24 Aug 2004 12:45:35 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

Here is the perhaps the best outline of the "problem" by VE7DXR and you might
want to try to plug it into program to see the correlation.

Hi Yuri,

I don't see how. On the face of it, it doesn't make sense.

it delivered a signal to the grounded side of the matching transformer.

It is all fine and well to observe that a wire draped along the ground
picks up signal (such an antenna I have seen "named" the Snake in the
Grass Antenna which is more an open terminated coax). However to
proudly state that it delivers it to ground begs the obvious comment
"how do you know?"

You must in fact break the connection, insert a load, and this means
it no longer delivers it to ground (can't have your cake and eat it
too). Such receive antennas are admittedly poor in efficiency but
useful as "quiet" antennas (where the receiver gain makes up for low
efficiency).

To cap it off, what is the "problem" anyway?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Harrison August 25th 04 08:01 PM

Yuri, K3BU wrote:
"If anyone cares to discuss the subject, or, explain how the conductor
laid on the ground can lose its conductivity, bring it on."

My observations on Tom, W8Ji`s antics are similar to Yuri`s. Too bad
because Tom has much to offer. We all make mistakes, and for everyone`s
benefit we should admit we are wrong when it happens.

The loss from an r-f conductor near the earth is likely more from
displacement (dielectric) loss than conductor conductivity. At Radio
Free Europe we found it more economical to build a kneehigh 2-wire
600-ohm transmission line of Copperweld than to build a stainless steel
dissipation lline high above the ground to dissipate 50 KW. It worked
very well but it was a collision hazard.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

[email protected] August 25th 04 08:43 PM

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Yuri, K3BU wrote:
"If anyone cares to discuss the subject, or, explain how the conductor
laid on the ground can lose its conductivity, bring it on."

My observations on Tom, W8Ji`s antics are similar to Yuri`s. Too bad
because Tom has much to offer. We all make mistakes, and for everyone`s
benefit we should admit we are wrong when it happens.

What did he say that was wrong ?
What book this time are you quoting from?
What book states that you are correct in your own analysis?
We all know that you have some sort of connection with Radio Free Europe so
how did your antics prove
that Tom is in error? Yes Tom and others including myself can be
fraustrating but is that justification for dragging him thru the mud? Your
post sounds like a "swift boat"
advertisement so maybe some of it will stick
Art

Richard Clark August 25th 04 10:30 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:43:07 GMT, "
wrote:
so maybe some of it will stick

more trolling

[email protected] August 25th 04 10:53 PM

If I was going to join the trashing then at the least I would go to EHAM and
tell him why he is wrong. It just doesn't belong here on this group, it
belongs on the group where he made the statement.
I suspect that you soon will add snide remarks for which
you have s remarkable ability that has stood the test of time.on R.R.A.A.
Art

Richard Clark August 25th 04 11:36 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:53:02 GMT, "
wrote:
I suspect that you

more trolling

Richard Harrison August 26th 04 04:27 AM

Art Unwin wrote:
"What did he say that was wrong?"

Recently Tom argued with Yuri that loading coils must have the same
current in and out. Circuit theory does not directly apply in all cases
due to the possibility of a reflected wave on the coil and due to
radiation from a loading coil.

Did Tom ever admit that it`s possible that current into one end of the
coil does not necessarily equal the current at its other end?

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI