Old December 4th 15, 11:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Usenet and NGs dying?

When Usenet is in decline, and being pushed aside by Yahoo groups, is it
worthwhile
to try to keep it going by fomenting discussion, or is it better, as some
from
Yankland seem to think in this NG, to shout down discussion with abusive
walls of text as Libensraum (now KF'd) seems to think?

I raise matters, such as what is the characteristic of Free Space that
causes the inefficiency of short radiators, because it is not
a subject covered in any of the texts, and because it is a matter
that interests me, but all it seems to raise in this NG is abuse
from Yank bears-of-very-little-brain who have not done any
thinking since qualifying for their licences.

Is this NG rec.radio.amateur.antenna or rec.radio.cb.twig?

Old December 4th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:04:48 AM UTC-6, gareth wrote:
When Usenet is in decline, and being pushed aside by Yahoo groups, is it
worthwhile
to try to keep it going by fomenting discussion, or is it better, as some
from
Yankland seem to think in this NG, to shout down discussion with abusive
walls of text as Libensraum (now KF'd) seems to think?

I raise matters, such as what is the characteristic of Free Space that
causes the inefficiency of short radiators, because it is not
a subject covered in any of the texts, and because it is a matter
that interests me, but all it seems to raise in this NG is abuse
from Yank bears-of-very-little-brain who have not done any
thinking since qualifying for their licences.

Is this NG rec.radio.amateur.antenna or rec.radio.cb.twig?

I see matters, such as free space that causes peculiar Englishmen
to believe that radiators of the shorter variety are inefficient.
When in decline, I recline, and refused to be pushed about by feckless
men wearing dresses. Yankland it seems has a predicament, fomented
by dogs who wear cheap flimsy sun dresses, and steal cat food from the
bowls of porch weasels. Wal-mart shoppers they all aspire to be.

Old December 4th 15, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:04:43 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

what is the characteristic of Free Space that
causes the inefficiency of short radiators...

Like the proverbial free lunch, there is no remaining free space. Ever
square inch of space on the planet belongs to someone, some group, or
some government. Homesteading is dead, and none of the remaining
space is free. Everyone wants to rent, lease, or sell me space. Once
I get some space, the government wants to tax my space. People are
paying taxes on property under water in San Francisco Bay which might
some day be elevated by the next big earthquake, and become usable
land. Even the moon has been somewhat sub-divided. There isn't any
free space.

However, you're right about short radiators. If I shorted an antenna,
it too would radiate rather badly.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 4th 15, 08:24 PM
jta jta is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
When Usenet is in decline, and being pushed aside by Yahoo groups
Usenet has been in decline since the Internet came upon the scene, many years ago. It's not being "pushed aside by Yahoo groups", which are much worse than Usenet has become; Yahoo is clunky and veerrryyyy SLOW!
Old December 4th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"jta" wrote in message

Usenet has been in decline since the Internet came upon the scene, many
years ago. It's not being "pushed aside by Yahoo groups", which are
much worse than Usenet has become; Yahoo is clunky and veerrryyyy SLOW!

Yahoo was fine up to about 2 years ago and then they did something and I
only get the mail from the user groups. Never try to go to the group sites
unless there is a file I want to down load.

Old December 4th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 12/4/2015 4:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"jta" wrote in message

Usenet has been in decline since the Internet came upon the scene, many
years ago. It's not being "pushed aside by Yahoo groups", which are
much worse than Usenet has become; Yahoo is clunky and veerrryyyy SLOW!

Yahoo was fine up to about 2 years ago and then they did something and I
only get the mail from the user groups. Never try to go to the group sites
unless there is a file I want to down load.

A big issue I have with Yahoo is that they now require you to verify a
new account with a mobile cell number. That's ridiculous.

--

Rick
Old December 4th 15, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"jta" wrote in message

Usenet has been in decline since the Internet came upon the scene, many
years ago. It's not being "pushed aside by Yahoo groups", which are
much worse than Usenet has become; Yahoo is clunky and veerrryyyy SLOW!

Yahoo was fine up to about 2 years ago and then they did something and I
only get the mail from the user groups. Never try to go to the group
sites
unless there is a file I want to down load.

A big issue I have with Yahoo is that they now require you to verify a new
account with a mobile cell number. That's ridiculous.

Especially for we old fogies who, to all intents and purposes, do not
have a mobile phone. I do have one, but only switch it on for
emergency-style outgoing calls. 15 years ago I got a £50
pay-as-you-go card upon which I still have baout £7 left.

(And that is despite that in my last 10 years of gainful employment
I was designing test eqpt for mobile phone development!)

Old December 4th 15, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

rickman wrote:
On 12/4/2015 4:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"jta" wrote in message

SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

A big issue I have with Yahoo is that they now require you to verify a
new account with a mobile cell number. That's ridiculous.

I don't have a cell, but when I contacted Yahoo they settled for some
ID -- a scan of my driver's license did the trick. I don't find the
groups slow -- and I am on a few.

Irv VE6BP
Old December 4th 15, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"rickman" wrote in message
A big issue I have with Yahoo is that they now require you to verify a

new account with a mobile cell number. That's ridiculous.

I have not seen any places that required a phone number. If it did, I would
not give mine out except a bank or similar place.

I have seen several places that would like a phone number for verification,
but not required.

Old December 4th 15, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message

Especially for we old fogies who, to all intents and purposes, do not
have a mobile phone. I do have one, but only switch it on for
emergency-style outgoing calls. 15 years ago I got a £50
pay-as-you-go card upon which I still have baout £7 left.

In the states I don't know of any pay plan that will let you buy a plan that
lasts more than 1 year. I usually buy my wife a 1 year plan for about $ 100
and she probably has $ 90 left at the end of the year. We still have a
regular land line and it gets more in comming calls than out going.

I have a $ 10 per month plan for a smart phone and it is good for cell phone
service as much as I want and data when around a wifi system.

I wish we could get a plan that would actually last for the minuits we pay
for.

The ATU, a dying art? gareth Antenna 56 April 17th 14 07:30 PM
Castro Dying? Mike Shortwave 82 August 15th 06 05:56 PM
MARS DYING? an_old_friend Shortwave 0 April 28th 06 06:57 PM
NIMBusters is DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NewsGuy Shortwave 14 November 4th 05 12:57 PM
Is Ham Radio Dying Out ? Caveat Lector Dx 15 February 11th 05 05:50 AM