Old January 17th 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Never put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after!

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1601171129040.26062@darkstar. example.org...
So there'd have to be some special reason to use UHF connectors for me.

The only bad thing about that find was that there weren't many female
connectors, and while the local surplus store once had some odd bits of
something that included two female BNC connectors, that wsa in the past
when I found this pile of male connectors.

As it seems like most all the ham gear around the states has the so239/pl259
type connectors on them there is a big need for that type in my shack.

Old January 19th 16, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1601171129040.26062@darkstar. example.org...
So there'd have to be some special reason to use UHF connectors for me.

The only bad thing about that find was that there weren't many female
connectors, and while the local surplus store once had some odd bits of
something that included two female BNC connectors, that wsa in the past
when I found this pile of male connectors.

As it seems like most all the ham gear around the states has the so239/pl259
type connectors on them there is a big need for that type in my shack.

And that's unfortunate, though physically they have to be better than
phono connectors, which I thought the Heathkits (and likely other rigs)
used a lot for lower level connectors. I seem to recall a Type N
connector fits in the same holes as a UHF connector, but of course a BNC
would be too small, at the least you'd need an adapter plate. Though BNC
would probably fit into those phono connector holes.

Michael

Old January 22nd 16, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
But with one caveat, and that is, don't drill right through lest you
sever the central conductor making it difficult to get hold of when
desoldering it.

And thereby hangs a tale!

Cut the braid outer jacket away about an inch or two behind the connector
leaving the center conductor sticking out. Put the conector in a vise, heat
the center pin and pull the conductor out with some pliers.
Then drill the holes.

Or you can do the drilling first, then heat the center while holding the
connector with the pliers and give it a quick hit near the edge of a table
and the center conductor should fall out.

Yes. I have a small bench vise with an anvil at the back. If I have
something like a connector center pin to desolder, I can hold the thing in
pliers near the anvil and give it a sharp rap on the anvil when the solder
has melted.

i guess steve the coward is waiting till I go to bed an_old_friend Policy 6 January 18th 06 06:02 PM
PRICE REDUCTION Till Sold or Goes to Ebay 12-17-2005 Amateur Radio Station W5CIA Swap 1 December 19th 05 03:16 AM
moving two UHF TV antennas about the lawn till in phase Dan Jacobson Antenna 4 April 21st 04 03:58 AM
Can't wait till .. LW Shortwave 0 December 6th 03 06:43 PM
TS-2000 in Warranty till April 2004 K5JOE Swap 2 July 21st 03 08:57 PM