Old January 30th 16, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Rotatable couplings?

One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Clearly there would have to be some mechanical support other than
just the co-axial coupling to withstand the wind storms that we are all
now experiencing?

Old January 30th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/30/2016 6:04 AM, gareth wrote:
One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Clearly there would have to be some mechanical support other than
just the co-axial coupling to withstand the wind storms that we are all
now experiencing?

Rotary Transformer
These will keep you occupied for a while.

http://coefs.uncc.edu/mnoras/files/2...Chapter_19.pdf

https://www.pes.ee.ethz.ch/uploads/t...r_APEC2013.pdf

http://www.fdk.co.jp/cyber-e/pdf/RT-RTE001.pdf

Mikek

Old January 30th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"amdx" wrote in message
On 1/30/2016 6:04 AM, gareth wrote:
One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Clearly there would have to be some mechanical support other than
just the co-axial coupling to withstand the wind storms that we are all
now experiencing?

Rotary Transformer
These will keep you occupied for a while.

http://coefs.uncc.edu/mnoras/files/2...Chapter_19.pdf
https://www.pes.ee.ethz.ch/uploads/t...r_APEC2013.pdf
http://www.fdk.co.jp/cyber-e/pdf/RT-RTE001.pdf

Ta, but not what I had in mind, which was a rotary co-axial joint

Old January 30th 16, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/30/2016 9:51 AM, gareth wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message
On 1/30/2016 6:04 AM, gareth wrote:
One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Clearly there would have to be some mechanical support other than
just the co-axial coupling to withstand the wind storms that we are all
now experiencing?

Rotary Transformer
These will keep you occupied for a while.

http://coefs.uncc.edu/mnoras/files/2...Chapter_19.pdf
https://www.pes.ee.ethz.ch/uploads/t...r_APEC2013.pdf
http://www.fdk.co.jp/cyber-e/pdf/RT-RTE001.pdf

Ta, but not what I had in mind, which was a rotary co-axial joint

http://www.macartney.com/what-we-off...50-and-75-ohm/

http://www.schleifring.com/ship-radar/

https://www.asianproducts.com/produc...ings-meet.html

http://www.moog.com/literature/MCG/AC6355DS.pdf

http://www.moog.com/products/slip-ri...psules/ac6305/

http://www.slipring.com/series-high-...-273-l-en.html

Power levels could be a problem.

Old January 30th 16, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

gareth wrote:
One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Sounds like a $200 solution to a $0.75 problem, i.e. an extra foot or
two of coax to allow slack for turning.

--
Jim Pennino

Old January 30th 16, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna, you wrote:
gareth wrote:
One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Sounds like a $200 solution to a $0.75 problem, i.e. an extra foot or
two of coax to allow slack for turning.

With 4 different yagis on the mast, a large, bundled loop of
coax(es) *HAS* to be The Way To Go.

Jonesy W3DHJ
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | http://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __
Old January 31st 16, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:04:49 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

One of the problems with beams is the cable winding around
the mast if you try to turn too far in one way or another.

These difficulties have long been solved in the world of radar,
so, has anyone conceived of an infinitely rotatable 50 ohm
coupling for our beam antennae?

Clearly there would have to be some mechanical support other than
just the co-axial coupling to withstand the wind storms that we are all
now experiencing?

"Slip rings".
https://www.google.com/search?q=slip+ring&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=coaxial+slip+ring&tbm=isch

For coax cables, it's a "rotary joint".
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=rf+rotary+joint
I like to use a balun to go from coax to a parallel transmission line,
then to slip rings, and then to a dipole antenna feed. I once built a
direction finder that used a rotating yagi antenna, using that method.

As amdx mentioned, RF power levels are going to be a problem. My
interest is in direction finders, which normally do not transmit. If
you're going to run RF through the rotary joint while rotating the
antenna, the RF is going to arc and burn a nice neat groove in the
contact area. If the rotary joint is locked in place, it might
survive at low power levels.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Portable rotatable dipole nj2x Antenna 0 December 12th 11 02:26 AM
FS: Force 12 30M rotatable dipole EF-130 Radiodan-W7RF Swap 0 September 19th 05 01:54 AM
Rotatable Vertical - Honest Phaselock Ohms Equipment 0 March 20th 05 05:38 PM
Rotatable Dipole [email protected] Antenna 13 July 6th 04 05:06 AM
Rotatable Dipole [email protected] Antenna 0 June 29th 04 12:38 AM