Old May 19th 16, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default When did ignorance overcome education, for the correct plural is, "antennae"?

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 8:28:38 AM UTC-4, gareth wrote:
"joe" wrote in message
gareth wrote:

I have in my possession a book entitled, "Antennae", published in 1942
by a lecturer to both King's College, London, and also to various Brit
government
establishments.

At some point since then, the ignorance of either engineers or of Yanks
has tried
to pass off, "Antennas" as the plural.

If we pride ourselves on the exactness of our principles, then it is high
time to correct this glaring error by the Yanks.

(Book being studied avidly, although with some necessary revision
ov vector field theory; div, curl and grad, anyone?)

From an online dictionary:

I guess that it would be a fair assumption, bearing in mind the development
of
computers and, much later, the Internet, that your online dictionaries
originated
several decades after 1942, and long after the ignoramuses' error arose?

Um, wouldn't that be "ignorami"??
Old May 20th 16, 07:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"joe" wrote in message
gareth wrote:

I have in my possession a book entitled, "Antennae", published in 1942
by a lecturer to both King's College, London, and also to various Brit
government
establishments.

At some point since then, the ignorance of either engineers or of Yanks
has tried
to pass off, "Antennas" as the plural.

If we pride ourselves on the exactness of our principles, then it is high
time to correct this glaring error by the Yanks.

(Book being studied avidly, although with some necessary revision
ov vector field theory; div, curl and grad, anyone?)

From an online dictionary:

I guess that it would be a fair assumption, bearing in mind the development
of
computers and, much later, the Internet, that your online dictionaries
originated
several decades after 1942, and long after the ignoramuses' error arose?

Um, wouldn't that be "ignorami"??

It would depend on the commonly accepted root and whether it was Latin
or Greek (as many Latin words derive from Greek which can confuse things
more).
It also depends upon how Anglicised the word has become as the more it
is accepted as an English word then the more likely it is conform to the
many and often conflicting rules of English. Like the Italian word
Pizza. Italian plural of Pizze but it has become Anglicized and is now
Pizzas..... and don't get me started on people buying 'A' panini...

Bottom line: English evolves constantly and Antennas and Antennae are
both correct but one is in the ascendancy and the other is on the wane.
Neither can be said to be the correct one and neither can be said to be
wrong.

Andy

Old May 20th 16, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

AndyW wrote:

Bottom line: English evolves constantly and Antennas and Antennae are
both correct but one is in the ascendancy and the other is on the wane.
Neither can be said to be the correct one and neither can be said to be
wrong.

Andy

I would like to endorse that last sentence! In the UK both are
acceptable, and the time when we could dictate what is 'correct' to the
rest of the English-speaking world is long past.

--

Roger Hayter
Old May 20th 16, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"joe" wrote in message
gareth wrote:
I have in my possession a book entitled, "Antennae", published in 1942
by a lecturer to both King's College, London, and also to various Brit
government
establishments.
At some point since then, the ignorance of either engineers or of
Yanks
has tried
to pass off, "Antennas" as the plural.
If we pride ourselves on the exactness of our principles, then it is
high
time to correct this glaring error by the Yanks.
(Book being studied avidly, although with some necessary revision
ov vector field theory; div, curl and grad, anyone?)
From an online dictionary:

I guess that it would be a fair assumption, bearing in mind the
development
of
computers and, much later, the Internet, that your online dictionaries
originated
several decades after 1942, and long after the ignoramuses' error arose?

Um, wouldn't that be "ignorami"??

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb, which has subsequently
been adopted as a noun in English. However, "antennae" was correct
English in 1942, as described above, so, as was said above,

Old May 20th 16, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , AndyW
writes
"joe" wrote in message
gareth wrote:

I have in my possession a book entitled, "Antennae", published in 1942
by a lecturer to both King's College, London, and also to various Brit
government
establishments.

At some point since then, the ignorance of either engineers or of Yanks
has tried
to pass off, "Antennas" as the plural.

If we pride ourselves on the exactness of our principles, then it is high
time to correct this glaring error by the Yanks.

(Book being studied avidly, although with some necessary revision
ov vector field theory; div, curl and grad, anyone?)

From an online dictionary:

[...]

One thing is absolutely certain - and that is that the ancient Romans
didn't use the plural 'antennas' for what we British traditionally call
'aerials' (regardless of how high or low they might be).
--
Ian
Old May 20th 16, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb,

But what is the infinitive?
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/
doesn't seem to recognise anything I try.

--
Ian
Old May 20th 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 5/20/2016 8:50 AM, Roger Hayter wrote:
AndyW wrote:

Bottom line: English evolves constantly and Antennas and Antennae are
both correct but one is in the ascendancy and the other is on the wane.
Neither can be said to be the correct one and neither can be said to be
wrong.

Andy

I would like to endorse that last sentence! In the UK both are
acceptable, and the time when we could dictate what is 'correct' to the
rest of the English-speaking world is long past.

I don't know about that. It *is* called "English". You can dictate...
I don't know if anyone will listen, but you can still set the example
for the rest of the world. I think it is rather expected in fact. If
the English start adopting the various perversions of the language, that
will be the ultimate abdication, no?

The French certainly aren't letting anyone as much as get a foot in the
door of telling them how to speak or write. They "officially" used to
call e-mail the wordy "communication électronique" and now use the
shorter, but still very French term, "courriel".

--

Rick C
Old May 20th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ignoramus

Old May 20th 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb,

But what is the infinitive?
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/
doesn't seem to recognise anything I try.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ignoramus

I tried "ignorare" first, then the other declensions - but the
translation site didn't like any of them. For some reason, it accepts it
now (gives the translation simply as "to ignore").

--
Ian