Old August 31st 04, 05:42 PM
Steve Nosko

Thanks Roy. Mine shows it to measure 75 normally, but 1.3:1 in the Advanced
3 @75 ohms. Either I better change my brand of smokes or the Micro forgot
how to do the calculation... Better go back and try again to see it I
goofed somewhere...but I've done that several times...... . . . . .
.. .

Am I correct about this being simply a calculation?

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
My MFJ 269 shows the SWR of a Tektronix 75 ohm termination as 1.0:1 up
to 77 MHz when Z0 is set to 75 ohms.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Steve Nosko wrote:

Ian, and others,

I have the 269 HF VHF UHF analyzer and noticed something strange.

In
the "non-50 ohm" Advanced menu 3 mode, with the Zo set to 75 ohms, an
otherwise good 75 ohm load (please assume I know how to tell and I used

low frequency to reduce errors) shows something like a 1.3 : 1 SWR.

When I
called to ask about it, the first tech at MFJ seemed confused and

clearly
did not understand. Another call, on another day resulted in a better

tech,
but the response was to send it in for re-calibration. This also seems

be a calculation rather than an adjustment, no?

Once you know Z it is a simple calculation to get to SWR for another Zo.

Or
have I been smoking a bad brand...?

Woha! I see they have on line calibration manual for the 259B & 269 on
line!
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/MFJ-259Bcalibration.php
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pd...alibration.pdf

I don't see anything other than "watch the blinking SWR" .(sounds like a
British insult) for the Advance 3 "calibration".

Old August 31st 04, 05:57 PM

Dear Walt:
I sent you an E-mail message (in response to a message you sent to me)
and received an automated message by return indicating that my message had
been placed in a "bad" folder.
Sorry for the post here.
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

"Walter Maxwell"

Old August 31st 04, 09:00 PM
Roy Lewallen

I'm sure it's a calculation. I believe it was you who pointed out that
once you know the Z, you can calculate the SWR for any Z0. And you don't
need to know the sign of the reactance in order to do it. So that's
surely the way it's done.

Can't imagine that yours does the calculation different than mine. . .
hm, maybe it does. . .mine says "Ver. 1.24" when it starts up. What does
yours say?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Steve Nosko wrote:

Thanks Roy. Mine shows it to measure 75 normally, but 1.3:1 in the Advanced
3 @75 ohms. Either I better change my brand of smokes or the Micro forgot
how to do the calculation... Better go back and try again to see it I
goofed somewhere...but I've done that several times...... . . . . .
. .

Am I correct about this being simply a calculation?

Old September 1st 04, 07:10 PM
Steve Nosko

It's @home & I'm @work. I forwarded it home & will check. Mine is just
past 1 year old. oops.