Old August 26th 04, 02:16 PM
Darrell Gordon W4CX

Default Analyzer evaluation

Group..I've just discovered this group (what took me so long?) and am
impressed with the knowledge here. I am shopping for an antenna
analyzer and am stymied by the choices (or lack thereof). In all of
hamdom (sub $600), I only find MFJ, Autek, AEA wireless, and Kuranishi
to choose from. I've checked eham reviews and found that the AEA VIA
(not Bravo) rates highest...and most expensive. Probably worth it.
Unfortunately, it's only good to 54Mhz, and I'd need up to 450Mhz. I
know this is impossible, and would be willing to go with separate
units (Autek), but they have awful reviews quality.

My question: What are you guys using for HF measurements? What about
V/UHF measurements? Do you recommend any particular model? How about
used HP gear from ebay (yes, I know the risks). V/UHF is my priority
since I'm building some copper loops for 6 and 2. What say you sage
antenna gurus?
Darrell W4CX

Old August 26th 04, 03:29 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Darrell Gordon W4CX" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Darrell
guru, schmuru
you will find the gamut of experience and education here, though
as well as some amazing flame wars
I have the MFJ with 450 and it works OK
Only measures SWR on 450.
It's not a laboratory instrument, but I have used it for years and it gets
the job done.
Priceless for setting up the HF mobile.
I have no comparative experience except with an old General Radio bridge in
my AM radio days decades ago.
73
H.
NQ5H

Old August 26th 04, 07:07 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:23:18 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Is this recommendation of yours traceable directly to International
Measurement Standards or has it passed through the hands of a sales
department?

Hi Punchinello,

Your hedged question belies an ignorance of premium equipment that has
been dominant in the field for 50 years. How is it you fail to
recommend what you use?

I have calibrated such in a Primary Electronic Standards Lab against
standards traceable to NBS at the time. [but you knew this already]
I did such work under contracts to Boeing, and the model I own was
acquired from Boeing complete with certificates of traceability(not my
own work, I have only on occasion found a piece of precision gear with
my stickers on it).

I have never encountered a GR 1606 that fell outside of its
specifications - except for one where someone apparently burnt out one
bridge component, a resistor. Undoubtedly this was accomplished by
applying a transmitter to the excitation port - one can only imagine
the fate of equipment connected to the detector port. This was very
simple to recover from (one resistor). The instrument is robust and
built like a Swiss precision watch. There are very few things that
could go wrong and only under physical duress (like dropping it down
three floors of stairs).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 26th 04, 08:26 PM
Roy Lewallen

I have an MFJ 269 and a GR 1606A. Each has its place.

At my location, about 10-15 miles from a hilltop with powerful TV, FM,
and I believe AM broadcast transmitters, the MFJ is pretty useless for
most antenna measurements. The impinging RF confuses it. It's great for
fiddling with circuits on the bench, quick measurements of coax length,
and checking the resonance of a 2 meter whip. I'm sure the RF problem
would be the same for the other analyzers. Years ago, I rented an HP
vector impedance meter for a consulting job, and it too was unable to
handle the RF environment. A friend lent me an ancient tube-type Z meter
that had a tunable detector, and I ended up making the measurements with
it. (That was before I got the 1606A.)

I use the 1606A when I need to make serious and accurate antenna
measurements. It's tedious to use, having to be calibrated at the
measurement frequency before making measurements. It only goes up to 60
MHz. And it requires an external signal generator and detector. The
external detector is really its strength, though, since by using a
narrowband detector (I use an old ICOM R1 portable receiver) I can make
good measurements in the RF environment I live in. It would be a real
nuisance to haul it up a tower, although you can put it on top of a
stepladder.

Sorry, I haven't used any of the other analyzers so can't help you out
with the comparison between them.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old August 26th 04, 09:52 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:26:54 -0700, Roy Lewallen wrote:

[...]

It's gratifying to learn that the 'ole 1606 is still being used by people in the
group. About ten years ago I wondered what I'd do if anything happened to mine,
especially since General Radio was already out of business, so I found a 1606-B
for $400 as a backup. Son Rick, WB4GNR, is using it, but it's still my backup.

Walt, W2DU

Old August 26th 04, 10:08 PM
John Moriarity

My question: What are you guys using for HF measurements?

The original Autek. Limited accuracy,
but *very* portable and very useful.

I'm building the N2PK Vector Network
Analyzer, which is only good to 60Mhz,
with laboratory accuracy. Paul has hinted
at extensions to allow se to 450Mhz.
See www.n2pk.com .

The GR bridges suggested are very good,
but not too portable.

73, John - K6QQ

Old August 26th 04, 10:32 PM
Wes Stewart

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:08:33 -0700, "John Moriarity"
wrote:

| My question: What are you guys using for HF measurements?
|
|The original Autek. Limited accuracy,
|but *very* portable and very useful.
|
|I'm building the N2PK Vector Network
|Analyzer, which is only good to 60Mhz,
|with laboratory accuracy. Paul has hinted
|at extensions to allow se to 450Mhz.
|See www.n2pk.com .

Me too. Well, let me rephrase... I have had the kit ($220) for about
8 months and have yet to start on it

First I figured I needed a better, smaller soldering iron. $100.

Then I got that and realized I can't see the parts. Got a 10X
Optivisor. $35.

Depth of field is really marginal. Got a lighted magnifier. $50.

Ready to go... oops no anti-static mat and right in the middle of
building bathroom vanity cabinet. Figured I could save money by DIY.

New Delta Unisaw. $1500. Dovetail jig. $400. Better lighting in
garage $400. Hardwood $400. Misc router bits, finishing materials,
spray gun, screws, door and drawer hardware and my labor at $0.05/
hour... don't ask.

Other than that, I use a Boonton 250 or an HP 8405 for impedance
measurements.

Old August 26th 04, 11:50 PM
9V1GO

Hi Darrell,

I have used the Autek VA1 and the MFJ 259B here in 9V for about a year.
Must have gotten a good Autek as it has performed well. All of the MFJ
series I have used in the past and they will do the job but as has been
said, high RF enviornments render it useless.

The MFJ that goes to UHF we used on a field day trip to a remote island just
off 9V and it also did a good job. YMMV but the VA1 goes into a pocket for
a tower climb, is a bit fiddley, but I find I use it more than the MFJ.

73

Bob 9V1GO