Old September 6th 04, 07:31 PM
Denis O' Flynn

Default Hy-gain ant query

I picked up a vertical antenna today from a fellow ham who had it stored
outside !! not in use.
I have the 3 part numbers of the coils - 10M (870138). 15M (870135) and 20M
coil (870369). There is also a 40M coil on top of the flat washer with no
part number on it. The flat washer has holes which appear to have been a
groundplane or a cap. hat.

any idea what I may have?? I have tried the net with these numbers to no
avail.

de Denis EI6HB

ei6hb at eircom.net

Denis -

You may be describing the HyGain "AVQ" series of HF vertical antennas. You can check the HyGain web site (now owned by MFJ):
http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=AV-14AVQ

Part numbers for the Hy-Gain AV-14AVQ antenna (these numbers are VERY close to your part numbers)
http://www.hy-gain.com/parts.php?prodid=AV-14AVQ

HyGain did make (at one time) a 18AVQ, which was a 14AVQ with the 40 meter trap -- so it would work on 75/80 meters.

Technical Support:

Unfortunately, MFJ is NOT known for quick technical support (as stated on their web site!)

"NOTE: There is a two to four week response time for all technical support emails. If this is not fast enough for you, please call us on our technical support lines listed below."

By Telephone:
General Information: (800) 973-6572
(662) 323-9538
Technical Support: (662) 323-9538
Fax Number: (662) 323-6551

gb

Old September 2nd 06, 08:57 PM
Junior Member

Location: Stockholm, Sweden

[quote=Denis O' Flynn]

I have the 3 part numbers of the coils - 10M (870138). 15M (870135) and 20M
coil (870369). There is also a 40M coil on top of the flat washer with no
part number on it. The flat washer has holes which appear to have been a
groundplane or a cap. hat.

Seems to be an HyGain 18AVT. The coil on top is the 80M resonator. The flat washer is for the 4 top radials (11 1/4" long).
/Goran Wennersten SM0YPT
Old September 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"SM0YPT" wrote in message

Denis O' Flynn Wrote:

I have the 3 part numbers of the coils - 10M (870138). 15M (870135) and
20M
coil (870369). There is also a 40M coil on top of the flat washer with
no
part number on it. The flat washer has holes which appear to have been
groundplane or a cap. hat.

Seems to be an HyGain 18AVT. The coil on top is the 80M resonator. The
flat washer is for the 4 top radials (11 1/4" long).
/Goran Wennersten SM0YPT

Same questions asked on QRZ.COM last week. Couple of OMs had the manual --
search there.

gb

Antenna tuner Matthew&Wendy Antenna 68 August 10th 04 12:32 PM
Unity Gain? Dan Richardson Antenna 8 June 26th 04 09:15 PM
degen BBQ lobe ? Thierry Antenna 4 March 22nd 04 06:49 AM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Reflection Coefficient Smoke Clears a Bit Dr. Slick Antenna 126 September 10th 03 04:26 PM