Old September 11th 04, 09:14 PM
John Harper AE5X

Default Amateur Radio contribution on 9/11/2001

I have a BBC audio file (17M, about 28 minutes) on amateur radio operations
in NYC my website for anyone interested.

--

John Harper AE5X
Outdoor QRP: http://www.ae5x.com

Old September 12th 04, 05:24 PM
CW

How so? It's on topic. If this is the one I'm thinking of, it is a recording
of a BBC radio spot on the role of amateur radio operations during the World
Trade Center emergency.

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:14:28 GMT, "John Harper AE5X"
wrote:

I have a BBC audio file (17M, about 28 minutes) on amateur radio

operations
in NYC my website for anyone interested.

Spam.

--
Bill W6WRT

Old September 12th 04, 11:53 PM
CW

As there is not a rec.radio.news.articles.about.radio and radio is of
interest to most people here (apparently, not to you. What do you use your
antennas for, decoration?) it fits here a damn site better than on
alt.candlemaking. Thanks for your response. I had a spot in my bozo bin that
needed filling. You'll fit nicely.

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:24:29 -0700, "CW" no adddress@spam free.com
wrote:

How so? It's on topic. If this is the one I'm thinking of, it is a

recording
of a BBC radio spot on the role of amateur radio operations during the

World
Trade Center emergency.

On topic? Check the group name again. Find the word "antenna". If not
familiar with same, look it up. Compose scathing reply. Delete it.

--
Bill W6WRT

Old September 13th 04, 06:31 PM
Airy R. Bean

Can't something be done about the erroneous date format?

In the English-speaking world, it should read, "11/9/2001"

Old September 13th 04, 06:42 PM
Jack Painter

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Can't something be done about the erroneous date format?

In the English-speaking world, it should read, "11/9/2001"

We who speak the most English make the rules.

It has always been "month-day-year" in the United States of America.

Jack

Old September 13th 04, 07:19 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:31:22 +0100, "Airy R. Bean"
wrote:

Can't something be done about the erroneous date format?

In the English-speaking world, it should read, "11/9/2001"

Eh? When was the last time Tony Blair talked about the events of
"11-9"?

Bob
k5qwg

Old September 13th 04, 09:38 PM
Jack Painter

"see sea oh ecks at you aitch see dot comm"
wrote

Jack Painter wrote:
We who speak the most English make the rules.

It has always been "month-day-year" in the United States of America.

Oh yes - we forgot that there are more American English speakers in
the world than English speakers.

Not!
--
Chris Cox, N0UK/G4JEC NIC Handle: CC345

In fact, there are few countries, and Britain is definitely not one of them,
that teach or speak proper English. It is a language butchered in
pronounciation by all that England influenced, and was only corrected in
teaching and pronounciation in America. We speak English, not an adaptation
of it. If your understanding of this fact is lacking, there are many places
for you to correct your deficiency, but it will not be here.

73,

Jack

Old September 13th 04, 10:04 PM
Peter

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:38:15 -0400, "Jack Painter"
wrote:

We speak English, not an adaptation
of it

I beg to differ!

I don't think the word "Hi" is English yet it's the ubiquitous
greeting in the US (and unfortunately over here in the UK also).
Why do Americans write "meter" for "metre", " thru" for "through",
"dove" for "dived" , "I've gotten" for " I've got", etc, etc?
Somehow I don't think the Pilgrim Fathers brought all that over from
the Old Country!

Americans speak American and we speak English ... 'nuff said!

Peter, G3PHO
Old September 13th 04, 10:25 PM
Brian Reay

wrote:

We speak English, not an adaptation
of it

I beg to differ!

I don't think the word "Hi" is English yet it's the ubiquitous
greeting in the US (and unfortunately over here in the UK also).
Why do Americans write "meter" for "metre", " thru" for "through",
"dove" for "dived" , "I've gotten" for " I've got", etc, etc?
Somehow I don't think the Pilgrim Fathers brought all that over from
the Old Country!

Americans speak American and we speak English ... 'nuff said!

I recommend Bill Bryson's book "Made in America"- a very readable account of
how American English has developed, with bits of the development of English
English thrown in.

Even in England, English usuage isn't universal. At least, after nearly 28
years in "the south", I still speak proper English ;-)

(Drifting off topic...........)

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk