Old September 12th 04, 06:52 PM
Dave VanHorn

You may not get very good results.
Some VHF TV antennas are built NOT to receive the FM broadcast band, so as
to avoid front end overload. A smart TV antenna designer would also reduce
gain in the aero bands, and the commercial FM bands for the same reason.

It may work well enough anyway.

--
KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Old September 14th 04, 12:29 AM
G.Beat

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
I know this is amateur group but I thought you guys will have some answer.
Got a unused TV yagi antenna with about 12 directors, dipole, and a
reflector.
Want to hook up a 300 ohm cable to my Sony 2010 receiver FM input. Do I
need to
hook up a balun? If yes, would a 75 ohm be good enough? OR should I just
forget
about this plan? TIA.

Jim -

Let's get back to your query. The broadcast FM band (88MHz to 108 MHz) is
just above Broadcast TV Channel 6 ... so a TV yagi antenna designed for
low-band VHF TV (Channel 2 - 6) or specifically for Channel 6 will do quite
well.

The civil and commerical airband starts above the FM allocation (108 MHz to
136.975MHz) to the beginning of the commerical VHF allocation (136 - 168),
Channel 7 is at 174 MHz

Here is some pertient inforamtion from Bob Colegrove and an older German
posting about this Sony radio Sony 2001D (also known as the Sony ICF-2010).

Bob Colegrove's document Coupling MW and LW antennas to the Sony ICF-2010
http://www.sdxf.org/alfa/dxinfo/coup...ICF_2010.p df

Building an Antenna mathcing device
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...l/2010ant.html

About the antenna circuit and external antennas
The following information is from an older posting,
:

1.. The ext. antenna socket is "hot", i.e. powered through a 470 ohm
resistence + 100 uH coil. This means that it will deliver approx. 10 mA DC
current to the external antenna circuit. The coil is to prevent "polluting"
the power circuit of the radio with radio frequency signal. Evidently, the
purpose of this arrangement is to "inform" the accessory antenna when the
radio is turned on. In case of the Sony AN-LP1 it turns on the antenna
without need to use the antenna power switch. However, the 7600G will NOT
power the antenna, the 10 mA are not enough to power the amplifier circuit.
The power for the AN-LP1 comes from its own batteries. You can use this
feature with any active antenna by including a proper power-up circuit - a
nice feature if your active antenna is located far away from the radio and
you want it to turn on and off automatically when you use your radio.
2.. You can connect any other antenna (provided it is correctly designed
and installed) to the EXT ANT socket without risking to damage the radio.
However, if the external antenna circuit has low DC resistence, it will
drain some current from the radio. Therefore, you will experiment slightly
higher power consumption from your batteries (up to 10% at normal listening
volume). You can avoid this current drain by including a small ceramic
capacitor (1000 pF) in series with the antenna circuit, however I don't
think it is really necessary.
3.. The 7600G has some basic protection build into the EXT ANT input
circuit. Any static buid-up will be drained off via the power circuit
mentioned in point 1. It also includes a diode pair (1SS123) to protect the
input RF amplifier FET from damage due to too strong signals or an
accidental connection of the antenna to a low voltage AC source. IT IS NOT A
SUBSTITUTE FOR A PROPER ANTENNA GROUNDING AND LIGHTNING PROTECTION IF YOU
USE AN EXTERNAL ANTENNA - YOU STILL NEED TO PROPERLY GROUND YOUR EXTERNAL
ANTENNA AND PROTECT YOUR RADIO, but it builds some margin of safety to
protect the front-end FET - a common problem with the Sony 2001D (2010).
HOW TO DETECT AND REPAIR THE COMMONLY BLOWN TRANSISTOR IN THE SONY 2010
Michael Covington, N4TMI
http://qex.net.tripod.com/mods/sony/mods/sony.txt

Modifications
http://www.qsl.net/wd8das/2010.html

Sony 7600 series radio page
http://stephan.win31.de/sony7600.htm

What ever happen to TV Channel 1 ?
http://members.aol.com/jeff560/tvch1.html

w9gb

Old September 14th 04, 12:46 AM
Dave Platt

In article p3q1d.87214$3l3.17942@attbi_s03,
G.Beat wrote:

Jim -

Let's get back to your query. The broadcast FM band (88MHz to 108 MHz) is
just above Broadcast TV Channel 6 ... so a TV yagi antenna designed for
low-band VHF TV (Channel 2 - 6) or specifically for Channel 6 will do quite
well.

As I understand it, the typical low-band or full-band VHF
television antenna is almost always a log-periodic, rather than a
Yagi. Yagi antennas having a substantial amount of gain are rather
narrow-banded, and won't cover the whole low-band VHF subband
properly. Log-periodics have only a limited amount of gain, but can
have a much wider bandwidth.

I think the only VHF-TV-band Yagi antennas I've seen were
single-channel types.

A full-VHF-band (channels 2 - 13) log-periodic antenna should work
very well on the broadcast FM band, unless it has a built-in FM trap
that cannot be defeated.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old September 14th 04, 03:00 AM
G.Beat

G.Beat wrote:

[...]

Dave -

I nice thing about growing up 60 to 90 miles from VHF & UHF TV stations (and
not that far from Burlington, IA where Winegard still makes the antennas -
and AntennaCraft is next door - where Radio Shack OEMs their antennas) is
that you learn about fringe and deep fringe TV antennas -- and the Radio/TV
stores tried ALL of the types mfg. by Winegard, Jerrold, ChannelMaster, etc.

When Jim mentioned a dipole, reflector and 12 directors ... I have seen this
on a long boom yagi (just like the 2 meter 11 to 18 element antennas) and as
a log-periodic.

A photo is worth a thousand words.

greg