Old September 12th 04, 02:49 AM
Jim

Default Yagi antenna for FM/AIR reception

I know this is amateur group but I thought you guys will have some answer.
Got a unused TV yagi antenna with about 12 directors, dipole, and a reflector.
Want to hook up a 300 ohm cable to my Sony 2010 receiver FM input. Do I need to
hook up a balun? If yes, would a 75 ohm be good enough? OR should I just forget
about this plan? TIA.
Old September 12th 04, 03:00 AM
Tom Ring

Depending on the antenna it will work well or not so well, but still may
cover VHF aircraft. A 300 to 75 balun should be fine, assuming the
antenna uses a 300 ohm balanced feed.

And aircraft antennas tend to be vertical, at least the ones on the
ground, so orient it that way.

tom
K0TAR

Old September 12th 04, 06:41 AM
Richard Harrison

Tom, K0TAR wrote:
"And aircraft antennas tend to be vertical, at least the ones on the
ground, so orient it that way."

Of course, aircraft need to communicate in all directions around, so
vertical polarization makes sense.

In level flight, VHF aircraft antennas tend to be vertical. See the
submarine Pampanito (at dock in San Francisco as a museum) web page for
SCR 522 specifications. This was an AM VHF radio used in many warplanes
in WW-2. It was supplied with a "1/4-wave vertical antenna". AM and the
VHF frequencies above today`s FM broadcast band, and below the 2-meter
amateur band, are still used for aircraft radio traffic.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old September 12th 04, 05:59 PM
CW

I have never seen a 2010 so don't know what kind of inputs it has. If it has
balanced inputs, connect the feedline directly to it. If, as I suspect, it
has an unbalanced coax connector, use the 75 ohm balun.

om...

Old September 12th 04, 06:12 PM
CW

I got the impression that he was looking to use the antenna for FM
broadcast. Where did the aircraft come from?

. ..

Old September 12th 04, 06:52 PM
Dave VanHorn

You may not get very good results.
Some VHF TV antennas are built NOT to receive the FM broadcast band, so as
to avoid front end overload. A smart TV antenna designer would also reduce
gain in the aero bands, and the commercial FM bands for the same reason.

It may work well enough anyway.

--
KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Old September 13th 04, 03:41 AM
A-Tech

CW wrote:
I got the impression that he was looking to use the antenna for FM
broadcast. Where did the aircraft come from?

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
. ..
I assume he wants both, given the subject line.

It's a shortwave radio - see this link.
http://mare.radio.tripod.com/8_2010faq.html

....Bryce

tom
K0TAR

. ..

Old September 13th 04, 05:07 AM
CW

I'm familiar with the radio. It has FM broadcast and airband in addition to
shortwave and medium wave.

"A-Tech" wrote in message
CW wrote:
I got the impression that he was looking to use the antenna for FM
broadcast. Where did the aircraft come from?

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
. ..
I assume he wants both, given the subject line.

It's a shortwave radio - see this link.
http://mare.radio.tripod.com/8_2010faq.html

...Bryce

tom