Old September 23rd 04, 06:17 AM
root

Richard Clark wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:49:15 -0300, "Dogs, nothing but dogs !!"
wrote:

The ball is firmly in your court to better my negative search results with a
link that clearly supports the position that you appear to be supporting
(insect eyes = antennas).

Hi OM,

There is a world of difference between nanotech conductors, especially
carbon nanotubes, and conventional conductors. There is a world of
similarity between nanotech conductors, and wetware as you describe
it. In fact, one nanotechnology framework is the DNA molecule. 300
base pairs would be adequate for a quarterwave visible light
structure.

Trying to force Newtonian physics into a Quantum solution fails not in
the application, but in the explanation.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

xx
Old September 23rd 04, 04:47 PM
Richard Harrison

A Lot Of Crazy Folks wrote:
"Perhaps you could also take a moment to confirm that you understand the
difference between an antenna and a solar cell."

Reciprocity rules antenna action. I`m not sure electricity through a
solar cell will cause it to emit light.

Electricity does not travel through a void. Fields travel through voids.

A radio antenna is a transducer that converts between r-f fields and r-f
electricity.

A solar cell is a transducer that converts between light fields and d-c
electricity.

Radio waves and light waves are EM fields that differ in frequency.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old September 23rd 04, 11:50 PM
Richard Harrison

Roy, W7EL wrote:
"And a 1" square solar cell is about 50,000 wavelengths on a side."

Yes. The wavelength of light is so short, about 1/50,000 inch according
to Roy, that it is measured in Angstroms. The Angstrom is about 10 to
the minus 10th power meter.

My question is why anyone would want to produce micro, micro antenna
arrays when the LASER produces a narrow, uniform, high-intensity beam
of light of one very pure color (frequency) that can be directed in a
very thin concentrated beam over short and very long distances. Maybe
there isn`t such an efficient receiving device?

LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) light
can be so intense that it can vaporize the hardest and most
heat-resistant materials. Can`t a receiving LASER be locked in-step with
external synchronization to provide necessary gain and selectivity?

I wrote: "Electricity does not travel through a void. Fields travel
through a void."

Electrons do travel through voids quite readily. Note the display on a
CRT. They take advantage of the emptyness not to colide with matter so
they can continue their flight. There are also countless electrons
wandering in space between the heavenly bodies, but not so many as to
provide a conductor.

What I meant to imply was that an EM wave does not consist of actual
volts and amps until a conductor intervenes to have the fields generate
the volts and amps on it.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old September 24th 04, 01:59 AM
Fractenna

Hi Richard,

A laser is very inefficient, power-wise.

Nano antennas may offer a cheap option for high efficiency solar conversion.
Yet to be demonstrated.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old September 24th 04, 02:40 AM
Dogs - nothing but dogs !!

"Richard Clark"
Of course a Lot Of Crazy [Dogs]
will then bluster in outrage that
IR is not light.

No I would not - you're totally wrong.

BUT...

I would happily remind you or anyone else to pay attention to the word
VISIBLE, as in visible light, when you, or y'all, clearly neglected to pay
sufficient attention (DARPA and all that IR sub-thread) to the exact
contents of the CNN article and my previous postings (all of which were
perfectly clear).

See the diff ?

Furthermore, you're (intentionally?) ignoring my previous Position
Statement: "I'm as in favour of the fundamental sameness of light to radio
waves as anyone." Given IR's position in the spectrum, you can easily
derive how I feel about its nature.

Your comment (top) was unfair - almost mean.

sniff -- ;-)

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 24th 04, 03:01 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:40:41 -0300, "Dogs - nothing but dogs !!"
wrote:

No I would not - you're totally wrong.

BUT...

Hi Dogs,

Well that about covers it.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 24th 04, 03:03 AM
Dogs - nothing but dogs !!

....insect eyes as prior art...
....ignoring keyword 'visible'...
....I have a $4 calculator...

Sigh...

"Dogs - nothing but dogs!!" on 20 Sept 2004:
If anyone can provide any 'old' news for actual
'EM' antennas for ~visible~ light, please post
the link...

3 days pass slowly by... ...no reply, nothing.

"Dogs, nothing but dogs !!" on 21 Sept 2004:
Also, if anyone has any links to prior art 'visible'
light scale antennas, please post links. IR need
not apply - could be ten times the size (maybe
more).

2 days - still nothing but commentary.

"Dogs, nothing but dogs !!" on 22 Sept 2004:
If anyone has any links to prior art 'visible' light
scale antennas, then please post links. ...
As with George Jr, I don't think that even an
offer of a $50,000 reward would help in the
search.

Another day passes...and still no one has 'claimed the mythical $50k'
reward.

OK - Time's up.

I claim utter victory.

Thanks for playing.