Old October 14th 04, 05:21 PM

Walter Maxwell wrote:
On 14 Oct 2004 08:46:50 -0700, (k4wge) wrote:

And the crap begins to flow, now that classical physics has been slain.

Ed
wb6wsn

Physics? You want physics? I'll show you physics :-)

"The voltage and current applied to a Hertz antenna are in phase,
therefore the E and H fields are not in phase, thus radiation does not
occur until a great distance from the antenna. A proper phase shift
network allows the Hertz
antenna to become an EH Antenna where a 90 degree phase delay between
the current and voltage applied to the antenna cause the E and H
fields to be in phase, therefore the EH antenna is able to transfer
power from the transmitter directly to radiation. This is the basis of
the EH Antenna patent."

http://www.eh-antenna.com/library/EH...DEFINITION.pdf

I f there really is an issued patent on the EH antenna, the paragraph above is
proof that the Patent Office examiner who approved the patent application for
issuance was completely snowed by the applicant's patent attorney who wrote the
application.

This doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. Unless the patent examiner is
extremely well versed in electromagnetic theory he could easily be persuaded
that the EH principle is valid, while it is not.

Walt Maxwell, W2DU

About the only thing the Patent Office will deny a patent on based on
science is perpetual motion mechines; all bets are off on anything else.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old October 14th 04, 05:50 PM
Fractenna

This doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. Unless the patent examiner
is
extremely well versed in electromagnetic theory he could easily be persuaded
that the EH principle is valid, while it is not.

Walt Maxwell, W2DU

Who was the examiner?

They have some really great seasoned guys there in that department, and a
rolling list of rookies.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old October 14th 04, 06:54 PM
Roy Lewallen

Hate to break the news, Walt, but it happens very, very often. Even
years ago, when I was doing some consulting work on a patent case and
read a couple of hundred antenna patents, there was a great deal of
pseudo- and voodoo-science in issued patents. These days, it's rampant.

My favorite example is US patent #6,025,810, "Hyper-Light-Speed
Antenna", but I'm sure even this is far from the most egregious.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old October 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Walter Maxwell

Sorry to hear that, Roy. I was very much involved with the RCA Patent Dept in
my early years with RCA, 1949 to 1957. During that time the US Patent Office
examiners were smart and tough. A patent used to be worth something.

Walt

Old October 14th 04, 08:57 PM
Dave

"k4wge" wrote in message
om...

And the crap begins to flow, now that classical physics has been slain.

Ed
wb6wsn

Physics? You want physics? I'll show you physics :-)

I prefer one of these:

Physics? Physics?!? we don't need no stinking Physics!

or

The Physics? You want the Physics? You can't handle the Physics!

Old October 15th 04, 02:21 AM

Examiners get a salary of $43,000 PER YEAR which is not much in Maryland.
The majority of examiners have English as a second language and most have
Asian or
Vietnamese heritage. ( A look at the telephone directory of the department
is quite an eye opener).
They are also on a time schedule on how many patents that they must move
along
per hour. Since the Patent Office is a "cash cow" patents or "'prior art"
have been put on computor record
so that examiners can feed in a few salient words from the application and
then forward
the resulting computor patent matches to the new applicant so that he can
defend against the
grammar of"prior art"
..This now means that the new applicant cannot "plagerise" a pre awarded
patent grammatically.
Since the patent office does not spend time researching physics or reviewing
workability it does
not matter if the patent works or not.
Since the Government TAKES cash from the patent office where normally it
gives money to various
government offices it is encumbent on the patent office to move along
patent requests as fast as possible
and with as little work as possible to maintain the establishment and senior
examiners salaries,
of the latter there is very few., so that the department stays in business
So to sum up, the patent office now review patent requests for grammatical
duplication of "prior art"
plus ensuring that the format of any new application meets regulations and
to ensure that said application
is placed in the correct pre-assigned grouping depending on its physics or
intended use.
Now some may argue against the above but this is how I see patents are dealt
with at the present time.
Art

Old October 15th 04, 02:29 AM
Fractenna

Now some may argue against the above but this is how I see patents are dealt
with at the present time.
Art

Art,

I spend a non-trivial fraction of any given week on patents. I can't say this
view of yours duplicates my 15 years in the patent(ing) experience.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old October 15th 04, 03:40 AM

Chip, I have no problem with that, but the PTO has changed in the last few
years in how it does things
I read an article a few days ago where companies have gone into their
basements to review
old and forgotten patents as litigation between various companies has
proved to be a cash cow
for some when reviewing the grammer of patents (claims) and activities of
other companies in a grammatical sense.
You should also note that the Justice Department.has added elevated
importance( strength) to grammer of claims
in a attempt to curb increasing litigation against the P.T.O......... So
things are a changing.
I believe this to be a consequence of the PTO increasing dependence upon the
grammer of the claims rather than
the contents as a whole. Remember, lawyers and other reptiles can debate
for hours as to what
the definition of "is:":... is, in a grammatical sense. where-as old
english law established the original INTENT
as the primary definition .
This difference is why the U,S. has a huge playground for its increasing
lawyer population as its politicians
do not seek prior legal aid regarding the blend of ":grammer" and "intent"
when making laws. which
the rest of the World does

Art

Old October 15th 04, 04:09 AM
Walter Maxwell

Art, you seem to know a lot of what's happening in the US Patent Office. How do
you know this? Do you work there? Your 'insider-type' statements seem to say so.

If what you said is happening there is true there has been a complete turn
around in policy since I was knowledgeable in that area. You've described what
seems to me to be fraudulent activity in the issuance of patents that have no
value, and to use them in a court of law in an attempt for the patentee to
obtain money is a mockery of the Patent System.

I know there is nothing I can do about the situation, but I'm shocked to learn
about it. Apparently this is what Roy was talking about in his previous post
that answered mine.

Walt, W2DU

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:21:53 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old October 15th 04, 05:39 AM

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
Art, you seem to know a lot of what's happening in the US Patent Office.

How do
you know this? Do you work there? Your 'insider-type' statements seem to

say so.

No I do not work there I am just stating how I see things in Crystal City.
After I retired I did go thru the machinations of patent requests on a
personal basis
where I did everything by myself . This allowed me to discuss things
directly with the PTO
which is something you cannot do if you hire a representitive ( attorney )
or a part of a companyBy doing things this
way you get a keener sense of what is going on and where the difference
between a parallel
circuit and a series circuit can be lost on the examiner. I have also been
invited to PTO seminars
where excuses have been made for irregular procedures because of money grabs
by the government.
I also had a meeting with a military patent attorney where he lamented about
the lessening quality
of examiners that took the easy way out of denying patent requests
presumably because of efficiency drives
and where the military attorney was forced to follow the costly appeal route
with a more than 80% reversal
success rate.
You also now have the U.S. patent office dealing with World Patents so that
even a simple "7" on a drawing
with a slash on it (European style) can throw a patent into a unknown loop
of uncertaincy.
Ofcourse if you are a patent attorney you may well see things differently as
it is your bread and butter
and you recognise hitches ahead of time by knowing the ropes thru experience
plus personal
conversations with the PTO.as to obtaining a patent per present day
aproaches which are very
different from yesteryear..
This is how I personaly view things and it would appear from the media that
many see the Patent Office
as being in a hole from which it cannot extricate itself from given the
present day litigation system.
Mac is a professional in this field and may well provide insights that
totally contradict my perceptions
if he was so inclined.
Art