RadioBanter

-   -   Antennae NOT antennas (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/244917-antennae-not-antennas.html)

Gareth's Downstairs Computer July 27th 17 03:44 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

highlandham[_3_] July 27th 17 04:30 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;
it is NOT a Brexit issue.

Frank , GM0CSZ

Gareth's Downstairs Computer July 27th 17 04:39 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

On 27/07/2017 16:30, highlandham wrote:
On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;

It's not a hobby, it's a technical pursuit which drove
many of us to pursue electronics as a career.

it is NOT a Brexit issue.

Straw Man.

Bernie[_4_] July 27th 17 04:52 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:30:09 +0100
highlandham wrote:

On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;
it is NOT a Brexit issue.

Gareth's bean off his trolling for a while - I think it's nice to see
him back enjoying his hobby again.

Ian Jackson[_4_] July 27th 17 05:01 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

In message , Bernie
writes
highlandham wrote:

On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;
it is NOT a Brexit issue.

Gareth's bean off his trolling for a while - I think it's nice to see
him back enjoying his hobby again.

At first I read this as "Gareth's bean off his trolley for a while".

--
Ian

[email protected] July 27th 17 05:06 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words and both
US and UK dictionaries show "antennas" to be a correct spelling.

Grow up and get over it.

--
Jim Pennino

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT July 27th 17 06:00 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:06:57 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, disturbed my reverie and wrote:

The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words

So one chooses the dictionary that matches one's argument? Which
dictionary?

So if you consult an American dictionary you would start calling
fringes "bangs"? YUCK and BIG SPIT.

They are not "movies", but "films".

Don't get me started at the misuse of the singular and plural cases of
verbs when discussing singular entities. For example, "the
Conservative Party are...", WRONG!

I feel better now. Thanks Gareth for providing a thread in which I can
vent my spleen.
--

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

mm0fmf[_2_] July 27th 17 06:03 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

On 27/07/2017 17:01, Ian Jackson wrote:

At first I read this as "Gareth's bean off his trolley for a while".

Which is the correct interpretation of the facts.

rickman July 27th 17 06:37 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote on 7/27/2017 1:00 PM:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:06:57 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, disturbed my reverie and wrote:

The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words

So one chooses the dictionary that matches one's argument? Which
dictionary?

So if you consult an American dictionary you would start calling
fringes "bangs"? YUCK and BIG SPIT.

They are not "movies", but "films".

Don't get me started at the misuse of the singular and plural cases of
verbs when discussing singular entities. For example, "the
Conservative Party are...", WRONG!

I feel better now. Thanks Gareth for providing a thread in which I can
vent my spleen.

I find it interesting how UK hams spend as much time bashing other people as
they do talking about ham radio. In fact, I believe it is *more*. Is this
an old wives club?

--

Rick C

[email protected] July 27th 17 07:36 PM

Antennae NOT antennas

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:06:57 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, disturbed my reverie and wrote:

The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words

So one chooses the dictionary that matches one's argument? Which
dictionary?

The one for the language and dialect you speak, obviously.

So if you consult an American dictionary you would start calling
fringes "bangs"? YUCK and BIG SPIT.

One would consult an American dictionary only if one wanted the American
meaning and spelling of a word, obviously.

They are not "movies", but "films".

Don't get me started at the misuse of the singular and plural cases of
verbs when discussing singular entities. For example, "the
Conservative Party are...", WRONG!

I feel better now. Thanks Gareth for providing a thread in which I can
vent my spleen.

The thing at the front of the car is called a hood and the thing at the
back of the car is a trunk.

Boots are what cowboys wear on their feet and bonnets are what the cowboy's
lady wears to church.

--
Jim Pennino