Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Mar 2017
Posts: 80
Default Antennae NOT antennas

Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

  #2   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 04:30 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
Default Antennae NOT antennas

On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;
it is NOT a Brexit issue.

Frank , GM0CSZ
  #3   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 04:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Mar 2017
Posts: 80
Default Antennae NOT antennas

On 27/07/2017 16:30, highlandham wrote:
On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;


It's not a hobby, it's a technical pursuit which drove
many of us to pursue electronics as a career.

it is NOT a Brexit issue.


Straw Man.


  #4   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 04:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 35
Default Antennae NOT antennas

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:30:09 +0100
highlandham wrote:

On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;
it is NOT a Brexit issue.



Gareth's bean off his trolling for a while - I think it's nice to see
him back enjoying his hobby again.



  #5   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 05:01 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: May 2017
Posts: 22
Default Antennae NOT antennas

In message , Bernie
writes
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:30:09 +0100
highlandham wrote:

On 27/07/17 15:44, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

===================
Gareth , Amateur Radio is an international hobby;
it is NOT a Brexit issue.



Gareth's bean off his trolling for a while - I think it's nice to see
him back enjoying his hobby again.


At first I read this as "Gareth's bean off his trolley for a while".




--
Ian


  #6   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 05:06 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,881
Default Antennae NOT antennas

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre", so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.


The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words and both
US and UK dictionaries show "antennas" to be a correct spelling.

Grow up and get over it.


--
Jim Pennino
  #8   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 06:03 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: May 2017
Posts: 7
Default Antennae NOT antennas

On 27/07/2017 17:01, Ian Jackson wrote:

At first I read this as "Gareth's bean off his trolley for a while".


Which is the correct interpretation of the facts.

  #10   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 07:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,881
Default Antennae NOT antennas

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:06:57 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, disturbed my reverie and wrote:

The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words


So one chooses the dictionary that matches one's argument? Which
dictionary?


The one for the language and dialect you speak, obviously.

So if you consult an American dictionary you would start calling
fringes "bangs"? YUCK and BIG SPIT.


One would consult an American dictionary only if one wanted the American
meaning and spelling of a word, obviously.

They are not "movies", but "films".

Don't get me started at the misuse of the singular and plural cases of
verbs when discussing singular entities. For example, "the
Conservative Party are...", WRONG!

I feel better now. Thanks Gareth for providing a thread in which I can
vent my spleen.


The thing at the front of the car is called a hood and the thing at the
back of the car is a trunk.

Boots are what cowboys wear on their feet and bonnets are what the cowboy's
lady wears to church.


--
Jim Pennino


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Antennae Gareth's Downstairs Computer Antenna 3 July 28th 17 03:15 PM
Everything you want to know about antennae .... gareth Antenna 20 March 4th 16 03:09 AM
Screwdriver antennae? gareth Antenna 4 February 14th 16 08:06 AM
The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed. gareth Antenna 119 February 24th 15 09:54 AM
Antennas vs Antennae Jim Antenna 90 February 14th 05 11:39 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017