Old October 19th 04, 12:11 AM
Bob McBeth

Don't forget, he's STILL not giving straight answers
to the questions posed to him, nor providing
independent sources for verification of his answers.

"Fractenna"
It is important that you express care when making
statements that are false.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of who discovered radiocarbon dating ????

MK:
You may not be antiquated, but you are without a doubt,
one of the silliest *******s I've ever come across on usenet.
... I'm sure many will back me up on this conclusion.

Amen!

Old October 19th 04, 12:25 AM
Bob McBeth

"Richard Clark"
...the "Last Mile" connectivity. This means the mile
from subscriber to the nearest terabit optical pipeline
that could pump video on demand for everyone
- in both directions.

'video on demand' - it has been noted that one of the greatest drivers
of many technologies is the p0rn industry (so I've read). Anyway...

Personally I'd be happy to write a cheque for $1k (or even $2k) to have the
fibre line run all the way into my basement. $1k one-time is small potatoes
as compared to $50 per month access fee (or $600 per year, NPV cash value of
about $6k - YMMV).

Oh well, www.Wildblue.com is coming soon.

Followed closely by Wi-Max.

BTW - Wi-Max will put local radio broadcasters (AM/FM) in competition with
Internet radio for mobile listeners (in cars). I wish them good luck
smirk.

Old October 19th 04, 04:27 AM
Mike Coslo

Richard Clark wrote:
On 18 Oct 2004 14:38:24 -0700, (Brian Kelly) wrote:

Speaking of news articles chew on this one Chipster:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/37378.html

Hi Brian,

From that story:
"Lastly, the commission indicated that access to BPL would
facilitate the ability of electric companies to manage the power
grid by delivering remote diagnosis of electrical failures."

This is one of those benefits, tarted up with a fresh paint job to
convince ignorant investors of a remarkable accomplishment. In fact
the industry has had this ability to perform remote diagnostics
remotely for generations. The first time they sold it honestly to the
investors as SCADA.

Basically, the article describes the utter failure of the FCC's
ineptitude in refusing to standardize the design of the "Last Mile"
connectivity. This means the mile from subscriber to the nearest
terabit optical pipeline that could pump video on demand for everyone
- in both directions. In other words, the best of BPL is a
technological joke as a promise and bait and switch routine for an
existing service that is better and closer, but fails to rise in the
Neanderthalic imagination of Powell.

The "Party of Business" has been an abysmal failure as evidenced by
the flat lined Dow for YEARS. The neo-cons in charge have added more
layers of government bureaucracy than a frothing liberal signing laws
to "help us."

That is because Neo-Con's are a mutant form of liberal. Kind of like
liberals that have drank waaay too much coffee and turned mean! 8^)

But they are still liberals.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 19th 04, 06:52 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:27:29 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

That is because Neo-Con's are a mutant form of liberal. Kind of like
liberals that have drank waaay too much coffee and turned mean! 8^)

But they are still liberals.

Hi Mike,

You and I are probably the only two to understand that point, but when
a right-winger who's been hood-winked into taking them into their
fold.... They will swallow a lot of swill and proclaim it Champagne
before admitting the lie. After-all, the pay off is so rewarding when
the neocons leave the financial tap running for them (helps the swill
go down).

We need only look at Nader embracing the only group that would carry
him into elections and they are the resurrection of the American Nazi
party.

Now there's a principle of reciprocity that is truly comic.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 19th 04, 08:00 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:34:16 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

On 18 Oct 2004 14:38:24 -0700, (Brian Kelly) wrote:

Speaking of news articles chew on this one Chipster:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/37378.html

Hi Brian,

From that story:
"Lastly, the commission indicated that access to BPL would
facilitate the ability of electric companies to manage the power
grid by delivering remote diagnosis of electrical failures."

More likely so they can monitor usage so you have to get up at
3:30 am to do the laundry so business interests have daytime power to
themselves.

They'll likely also use it to shut off power for late paynment
without the nuisance of a truck roll.

Old October 19th 04, 03:10 PM
Mark

Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:43:03 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

You know what the trouble is with us amateurs is ?

Hi Mike,

Sure, some of them don't know what "digital" is, your posting contains
examples which follow below.

SNIP
73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Oh dear, my generalisations have yet again confused those of electronics
academia and has caused interpretation problems with a gargantuan
proportion.

Maybe my sentence " You know what the trouble is with us amateurs is? "
should
be changed to " You know what the trouble is with all those on this list is:
" ( followed by a list of every amateur in the world , but filtering out
those who don't reply to an extensive survey to find out if they would like
to be included in the generalisation "we". )

He casts... he waits... ( not long ) , and he reels them in...

Old October 19th 04, 05:45 PM
Brian Kelly

wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:34:16 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

On 18 Oct 2004 14:38:24 -0700,
(Brian Kelly) wrote:

Speaking of news articles chew on this one Chipster:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/37378.html

Hi Brian,

From that story:
"Lastly, the commission indicated that access to BPL would
facilitate the ability of electric companies to manage the power
grid by delivering remote diagnosis of electrical failures."

More likely so they can monitor usage so you have to get up at
3:30 am to do the laundry so business interests have daytime power to
themselves.

They'll likely also use it to shut off power for late paynment
without the nuisance of a truck roll.

The power utilities have been remotely monitoring and controlling
their infrastructures for at least a couple decades with the SCADA
systems Clark mentioned. It's all political smoke & mirrors BS.

w3rv
Old October 20th 04, 12:33 AM
Mike Coslo

Mark wrote:

Oh dear, my generalisations have yet again confused those of electronics
academia and has caused interpretation problems with a gargantuan
proportion.

Maybe my sentence " You know what the trouble is with us amateurs is? "
should
be changed to " You know what the trouble is with all those on this list is:
" ( followed by a list of every amateur in the world , but filtering out
those who don't reply to an extensive survey to find out if they would like
to be included in the generalisation "we". )

He casts... he waits... ( not long ) , and he reels them in...

What digital rig do you use, Mark?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 20th 04, 04:19 AM
Mike Coslo

wrote:

That is because Neo-Con's are a mutant form of liberal. Kind of like
liberals that have drank waaay too much coffee and turned mean! 8^)

But they are still liberals.

Hi Mike,

You and I are probably the only two to understand that point, but when
a right-winger who's been hood-winked into taking them into their
fold.... They will swallow a lot of swill and proclaim it Champagne
before admitting the lie.

There's the one about Yellow Dog Democrats and Second Coming
Republicans... There are some Democrats that would vote for a yellow dog
before voting Republican, and some Republicans that wouldn't vote for a
Democrat if he came down from heaven to trumpet blasts from a heavenly
host! 8^)

After-all, the pay off is so rewarding when
the neocons leave the financial tap running for them (helps the swill
go down).

But the bills always come due, don't they?

We need only look at Nader embracing the only group that would carry
him into elections and they are the resurrection of the American Nazi
party.

Dunno if you heard the debate between Howard Dean and Ralphie boy. Now
THAT is what a debate is supposed to be. Dean was pretty civil for the
first part, and Nadar actually wasn't boring. But when Dean brought up
Ralph's dubious buddies, it turned really exciting!

Old October 20th 04, 04:59 AM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:19:50 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:
Dunno if you heard the debate between Howard Dean and Ralphie boy. Now
THAT is what a debate is supposed to be. Dean was pretty civil for the
first part, and Nadar actually wasn't boring. But when Dean brought up
Ralph's dubious buddies, it turned really exciting!

Hi Mike,

That is like watching grannies mud wrestle yawn

My best view of a debate was during the '68 election cycle, CBS news,
Democratic Convention, ringside color commentators by Bill Buckley and
Gore Vidal.

On network TV, coast to coast all day coverage (or maybe it only felt
like it), limited channels (the only game on the tube) and if looks
could kill, the space between them would have run redder than Cambodia
swimming in blood (waiting for Kissinger to spring that genocide).

They parried back and forth in verbal jousts and Gore upped the ante
by calling Bill a Crypto-Fascist. Bill sprang across the coffee table
between them and tried to throttle him. The moderator was so
surprised he watched them struggle on the floor. A quick knee to the
groin would have settled it post-haste, but neither had anything to
lose.

Today we get candy-asses like Buchasneer and Limabean who couldn't
fight a swish with his limp wrists tied behind his back. :-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC