Old October 19th 04, 11:25 PM
Wes Stewart

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:02:18 -0400, "G&R" wrote:

|Hi Wes,
|
|Yes I am aware of the difference between the advertising on the site and the
|range results.

So are you going to fix it or not?

|As you are aware antennas do not have even gain across the entire band. We
|have designed the antenna to cover the entire 2m band and as a result do see
|a variation in the perfromance across the band, hence max gain.

Huh? So are you saying that you have nearly 3 dB gain variation in 2
MHz.?

|And before you cut down my comments, the precision on the results are from
|the softare and we are in the process of redesigning the format to more
|accurately reflect our actual results both modelled and actual.
|Unfortunately our business is antennas and web design.

In a paper I wrote for the ARRL Antenna Compendium, I said,
"Simplified 'antenna analyzers', especially those with digital
readouts can lull the user into unjustified confidence in the accuracy
of his measurements."

Change the words "antenna analyzers" to "computer software" and it
describes this situation to a T.

|The results posted on the CSVHF society are valid as the antenna was tested
|with a gain of 11.2dBd at 144.18MHz Horiz Polarization. Design Freq is
|146.0MHz.
|
|We are in the business of designing and selling antennas not developing
|antennas and giving them away for free. However, if your serious about the
|data for the antenna contact me directly so that we can discuss the details
|(email listed below).

My slightly distorted email is above. If you choose to send me your
parameters, I promise to keep it in confidence. I don't not design,
or manufacture antennas (or anything else) for a living.

|As to the DATAQ, well I have no answer for that one, as we don't build it or
|sell it. Our software is designed to with run it. Strange though, my
|Toshiba does and so does my SONY through a USB to SERIAL converter.

I know you don't build or sell it, I'm just offering a caution to
those who might be tempted to buy one. It works on my desktop but not
my laptop, which is a pity because I had a portable use in mind.

|One final point, the purpose of the posting was that identify that an
|antenna does not always need boom length and elements for gain and that
|there are other ways to achieve this.

Absolutely. One driven element at the focus of a 40' parabola is a
decent antenna at 2-meters.

Regards,

Wes N7WS
Old October 20th 04, 01:21 AM

"Chuck" wrote in message

wrote in message
What brought this to my attention was Moxon who advocated 2 element

beams
(lightnes translates to greater heights) so I modeled a 20 meter beam on

a 7
foot
boom and obtained 12dbi max for the band (ala 2:1)

Hi Art,

Can we assume this gain was calculated
at a particular height over ground?

But ofcourse a perfect ground and a standard wavelength height

Personally, I prefer FS results, in order to
eliminate any ambiguity.

Field strength (F.S.) introduces ambiguity does it not?

but one can get 13dbi
if you drop the impedance from 50 to 12 ohms.

This paraphrases the spesific example that I gave

the question would a transformer cancel the increased
gain.

Again you paraphased the spoecific sample that I gave
which raised the same question I gave regarding transformer losses

Optimizing an antenna for a specific Z
is not a good idea in my opinion, as
the amplitude of an element's current is
proportional to the amplitude of its
radiation. Ohms law tells us that at a
consistant power level, the lower the R
(Z), the greater will be the current.

Yes there are many laws to remember and I
look at critical coupling as something to remember.

A zero loss transformer would not
reduce the element's current, as the
energy being introduced to the element
would remain unchanged.

Very true but what element would this max energy be applied to?
Via critical coupling the driven element may not be the one carrying
the maximum current and thus screws up conventional thinking.
Energy is one thing but it is current that controls radiation is it not ?.
The particular model I was working on used 50 segments per wavelength
and used element length and diameters determined by my program input .
Thus coupling gains are attained but where it sometimes determined a
element diameter
is so thin it is incapable of carrying the required current.
If I saw a vendor advertise an antenna at 13dbi I would be very suspicious
as it not the norm,
yet very realiseable when using NEC without being tied down to existing
doctrines.
Sooooooo ..... I was looking for a datum curve generated by experts from
an all encompasing
NEC program where the final design reflected the real world design without
ambiguities
regarding coupling to coils, elements e.t.c. where lumped loads do not
reflect the real
world appearance.
There have been many responses including one suggestion that a suitable
datum curve could
be formulated from customer claims no less but NONE that responds to my
specific request .
Thus a conundrum still exists regarding programs based on scientific
knoweledge that are held in question
as they do not match real world measurements that spawn most of the
villifying in this group.
Seems like a datum curve could be used as a basis for many discusions where
differences do occur
instead of just arguing for eight years or more and not resolving the
accuracy concerns
Seems like I have come full circle and describing the Presidential debates !
Art

73 de Chuck, WA7RAI

Old October 20th 04, 04:11 AM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:21:10 GMT, "
wrote:
datum curve

Hi Art,

No such thing. It takes data (plural) to make a curve. Datum
(singular) is a point (i.e. NOT a curve).

If you don't see the curve you are looking for, you have an NEC
engine, what is preventing you from using it to make one, or two, or
several?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 20th 04, 11:20 PM
Chuck

wrote in message

wrote in message
What brought this to my attention was Moxon who advocated 2

element
beams
(lightnes translates to greater heights) so I modeled a 20

meter beam on
a 7
foot
boom and obtained 12dbi max for the band (ala 2:1)

Hi Art,

Can we assume this gain was calculated
at a particular height over ground?

But ofcourse a perfect ground and a standard wavelength height

Personally, I prefer FS results, in order to
eliminate any ambiguity.

Field strength (F.S.) introduces ambiguity does it not?

Hi Art,

FS = free space

Modeling in FS, using dBd as a reference
eliminates ambiguity.

All grounds are not equal. Including ground
effects in antenna type models that are not
ground dependant, does not reflect the
'real' world, IMO.

but one can get 13dbi
if you drop the impedance from 50 to 12 ohms.

This paraphrases the spesific example that I gave

the question would a transformer cancel the increased
gain.

Again you paraphased the spoecific sample that I gave
which raised the same question I gave regarding transformer

losses

Optimizing an antenna for a specific Z
is not a good idea in my opinion, as
the amplitude of an element's current is
proportional to the amplitude of its
radiation. Ohms law tells us that at a
consistent power level, the lower the R
(Z), the greater will be the current.

Yes there are many laws to remember and I
look at critical coupling as something to remember.

Critical coupling is simply a means to
attain element currents of a higher
amplitude than what can be expected
when one element is excited parasitically.

A zero loss transformer would not
reduce the element's current, as the
energy being introduced to the element
would remain unchanged.

Very true but what element would this max energy be applied to?

Max Energy?

I was referring to the element the transformer is
attached to.

Via critical coupling the driven element may not be the one

carrying
the maximum current and thus screws up conventional thinking.

Ummmm...

Critical coupling is a state where currents
of equal amplitude flow in two inductors that
are in close proximity, as a direct result of
the coupling. Critical coupling results in a
common field as well. This also applies to
wires (elements).

Energy is one thing but it is current that controls radiation

is it not ?.

Yes, and that's what I had said previously.

The particular model I was working on used 50 segments per

wavelength
and used element length and diameters determined by my program

input .
Thus coupling gains are attained but where it sometimes

determined a
element diameter
is so thin it is incapable of carrying the required current.

I'm not sure if I follow this correctly...
please elaborate further.

If I saw a vendor advertise an antenna at 13dbi I would be very

suspicious
as it not the norm,
yet very realiseable when using NEC without being tied down to

existing
doctrines.
Sooooooo ..... I was looking for a datum curve generated by

(data - plural)...

[...]

I suspect there can be many examples
where this occurs, but not necessarily all
are the fault of software. However, we
both know from experience, software can
be problematic in this regard.

Seems like a datum curve could be used as a basis for many

discusions where
differences do occur
instead of just arguing for eight years or more and not

resolving the
accuracy concerns

.... but when one fails to include certain
salient functions in their software - software
that is the basis for such arguments, there
is no way the arguments can be resolved
simply because there is no guarantee that
the software will be consistent with
empirical data in all cases, despite a high
order of hubris to the contrary.

Seems like I have come full circle and describing the

Presidential debates !
Art

Indeed...

73 de Chuck, WA7RAI

Old October 21st 04, 01:53 AM

Chuck
"Chuck" wrote in message
snip.

Yes there are many laws to remember and I
look at critical coupling as something to remember.

Critical coupling is simply a means to
attain element currents of a higher
amplitude than what can be expected
when one element is excited parasitically.

A zero loss transformer would not
reduce the element's current, as the
energy being introduced to the element
would remain unchanged.

Very true but what element would this max energy be applied to?

Max Energy?

Sorry about that.........I.meant current but my fingers ignored me

[...]

Certainly
To attain maximum gain per unit length the model dimensions
were all variables as was the number of elements. Not only
was the driven element current often less than another element in the array
it was sometimes found that the maximum current element required a diameter
of a few thousanths that was not sufficient to carry 1Kw.!
Obviously the gain attained was over ruled by the inability of the element
to meet operational requirements.
I might add that I use fibre fishing rods for my antennas where I can apply
the correct
wire diameters ( or aluminum foil) to an array without being encumbered by
mechanical restrictions.
This removes me from the normal restrictions applied to antennas where
element diameter
is pre-controlled for mechanical reasons which often conflict with
scientific requirements
The above statement does conflicts with your assesment stated above
regarding critical coupling
but this is what I found and I will leave it at that
Regards
Art.

snip

Old October 21st 04, 07:14 PM
Chuck

wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, I'm always open minded to learn
something new...

I'd like to establish a few things, though.

First of all, what modeling program are
you using?

Is your empirical data consistent with
the models?

How are you ascertaining your empirical
data?

How are you determining the current
amplitudes: By model? Or empirically?

And what are the machinations that
demand ultra-thin wires to establish
the gain?

You can email me if you care to not
discuss these things in an open forum.

73, de Chuck, WA7RAI
wa7rai at cox dot net

Old October 21st 04, 08:26 PM
Richard Harrison

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
"Drawing gain curves is a fun activity...but don`t try to read too much
into them."

I searched on "yagi boom". I got many responses. One showed Ian as the
custodian of a computer program to design yagis. Another was from the
Central States VHF Society and gives results of their 2004 gain
comparisons of many different antennas. Gain of these versus boom length
looks very ragged.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old October 21st 04, 09:05 PM

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Wow,,,...... there are not many people around who could say that !.
Since 99.999% of things presented as new are incorrect most experts
have determined that the odds favor them if they label EVERYTHING
new as in error. If something comes along that is really new they always
have the comment ' I knew about that a long while ago" to fall back on.

I'd like to establish a few things, though.

First of all, what modeling program are
you using?

Beasely AOP
This is the professional version that has more than enough segments
and variable dimensions available to lesson the chances of human input
errors
plus to handle elements that were in close proximetry to each other,
together
with 'Sommerfield ground' handling capabilities.

Is your empirical data consistent with
the models?

Not measured, my thought were that NEC would always
be closer than field measurements generated by an amateur.

How are you ascertaining your empirical
data?

How are you determining the current
amplitudes: By model? Or empirically?

By model,
The program provides % of max current at every segment,
phase and all that good stuff

And what are the machinations that
demand ultra-thin wires to establish
the gain?

Go for 80 % gain and the rest (20% ) for swr
Added half a dozen elements
All dimensions variable except boom length and perfect ground height
Remove one element at a time until max gain point is obvious
Note all dimensions are kept variable at all times.

You can email me if you care to not
discuss these things in an open forum.

Not necessary, This is the very reason I posted in the first place !
The program shows that the normal 2 element is not the optimum
in that a polygon of vectors beats a triangle of vectors.
At the same time with added elements you get diminishing returns in std and
conventional forms.
The program showed that 1 to 1.5 dbi was available over the standard
2 element on the same length boom.if one could overcome mechanical
restraints.
(I was comparing to a Beasely example of what gain could be attained for two
elements on a 7 foot boom)
Now that is not the end of the experiment as I cannot verify the accuracy of
the program,
because I did not write it, and I certainly cannot say that my modelling
aproach is
without error since that is what many 'experts' point to if they don't like
the results.
It was for that reason I asked if any similar data had been made available
for boom length
by reputable programmers and antenna 'experts' for comparison purposes ., If
these initial
results were quoted as accurrate there would be howls from all the resident
antenna ' experts"
and I would immediately be placed in the six foot hole that they have been
trying to put
you in for the last eight years

Art

73, de Chuck, WA7RAI
wa7rai at cox dot net

Old October 21st 04, 09:50 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

Another was from the
Central States VHF Society and gives results of their 2004 gain
comparisons of many different antennas. Gain of these versus boom length
looks very ragged.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Gain vs. boom length makes sense only when comparing or tracking the same
antenna design i.e. Yagi with multiple elements. One can design lousy antenna
on a long boom.

Jim Lawson, W2PV was one who after some modeling showed that gain in the
properly designed antenna is roughly proportional to the boom length rather
than to number of elements. Some manufacturers "beefed up" their antennas by
sticking more elements on the same boom claiming better performance.

Yuri, K3BU.us

Antenna tuner Matthew&Wendy Antenna 68 August 10th 04 12:32 PM
Question on antenna symantics Jimmy Antenna 28 January 27th 04 01:10 AM
Antenna future Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 49 January 23rd 04 06:36 PM