Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9th 05, 11:33 AM
news

Default Ground radials -- the practicalities?

I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an
electrical point of view, but the alternative approach of installing the
radials above the ground is completely out of the question, for
aesthetic reasons].

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering
iron won't be up to the job ...).

3. What kind of solder and flux should I use?

4. What precautions should I take to minimise the effects of corrosion
at the joints?

5. How deep should I bury the radials? Two inches, six inches, 12
inches?

6. Is there anything else I should know?

We are on heavy clay soil that alternates between being very dry and
very wet.

My main interest is in the lower hf bands (40/80/160) and possibly
136kHz.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW