RadioBanter

-   -   Ground radials -- the practicalities? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/25024-ground-radials-practicalities.html)

news January 9th 05 11:33 AM

Ground radials -- the practicalities?

I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an
electrical point of view, but the alternative approach of installing the
radials above the ground is completely out of the question, for
aesthetic reasons].

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering
iron won't be up to the job ...).

3. What kind of solder and flux should I use?

4. What precautions should I take to minimise the effects of corrosion
at the joints?

5. How deep should I bury the radials? Two inches, six inches, 12
inches?

6. Is there anything else I should know?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are on heavy clay soil that alternates between being very dry and
very wet.

My main interest is in the lower hf bands (40/80/160) and possibly
136kHz.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

Brian Reay January 9th 05 12:24 PM

"news" wrote in message
I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an
electrical point of view, but the alternative approach of installing the
radials above the ground is completely out of the question, for
aesthetic reasons].

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

Whatever you can get cheaply, as you need a lot.

Insulated is fine- the soil (rf) conductivity is poor (or you'd not need
radials) so the benefit from have bare wire is minimal. Insulated will stop
it corroding.

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering
iron won't be up to the job ...).

3. What kind of solder and flux should I use?

Bring them to a 'star point' which is your earth point and it should have a
normal earth stake. Make sure this is bonded to you PME point for safety by
10mm^2 wire.

If you solder, use ordinary multicore solder.

4. What precautions should I take to minimise the effects of corrosion
at the joints?

Self amalgamating tape or use conduit boxes and 'pot' with epoxy.

5. How deep should I bury the radials? Two inches, six inches, 12
inches?

Depends- this is as much to do with what the land is used for. In the past
I've used a spade to make a shallow 'slit', maybe 2" deep, in the lawn and
pushed wires into that.

In a flower bed or vegetable patch that wouldn't be deep enough.

Don't forget patios. Our patios have radials under them. Also, you can run
wires around the bottom of fences etc, by paths.

6. Is there anything else I should know?

Don't forget that safety bonding!

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Gordon Hudson January 9th 05 12:48 PM

"news" wrote in message
I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some radials
under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an electrical
point of view, but the alternative approach of installing the radials
above the ground is completely out of the question, for aesthetic
reasons].

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering iron
won't be up to the job ...).

I would use a blowtorch (But I am used to using one).
The secret is not to overheat things.
Its a kind of dabbing technique to get up to temperature.

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. January 9th 05 02:30 PM

Hi Ian

I had over 3,500 feet of radials under my HF9VX/w160.

They were buried only about 1 inch deep overall.
I used a meat cleaver and rubber mallet, placing an open eyehook
through the hanging hole on the meat cleaver.
I stretched the wire out first, then let it pass through the eyehook.
As I cut along the edge of the wire to make the hole in the ground,
the eyehook would pull it down below the surface.
The job went fairly quickly!

I used some 12 and some 14 guage insulated solid copper wire, whatever
was on sale the cheapest, hi hi.....

At the antenna base, I drove an 8 foot ground rod, allowing it to stay
above ground about 4 inches.
Each radial came up to this ground rod and made a 90 degree turn
upwards.
I used a cheap pencil flame propane blowtorch and Copper Phosphorus
Bronze brazing rods (low melting point, good adhesion to copper),
affixing each wire to the ground rod.
I then welded an insulated braided 8 guage wire to this for later
connection to the antenna.
After all the radials were in place and welded to the rod, I slipped a
3/4 inch copper pipe over the ground rod and down to the radials and
filled it with silicone caulk.
Then, using a hose I washed out the dirt under the radials around the
ground rod so that I could (after it was dry) get about a 1 inch deep
layer of silicone around the ground rod and ends of all the radials so
that the insulation was covered back about 1 inch and about 1/2 inch
above the copper pipe.

Because the HF9VX has a COIL near ground level, I cut the bottom out
of a vinyl Cylindrical flower pot and slipped this over the antenna
mount and ground rod. It was stuck into the ground about an inch or
two, down to the tops of the radials. To keep grass/weeds from
growing, I also dumped a 4lb box of rock salt into the container.
I used a PVC sleeve over the antenna mount, so the salt would not get
to the aluminum.

TTUL
Gary

Airy R. Bean January 9th 05 02:51 PM

Another way is to go to your local electrical wholesaler
(assuming he will deal with you now we're past Jan 1st/Part P)
and buy one of those chocolate-box-like strips for commoning
up 6mm green-and-yellow to clamp all the wires together.

Bob Miller January 9th 05 03:00 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:33:44 GMT, news wrote:

I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an
electrical point of view, but the alternative approach of installing the
radials above the ground is completely out of the question, for
aesthetic reasons].

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

Some of my literature recommends against braided or woven conductors
as having too high a surface resistance to lightning and RF,
especially if they get corroded. Wide smooth surfaces are better.

You might try Lowe's Home Improvement or Home Depot -- they both sell
500-ft. rolls of #12 copper wire for about $20. That'd save you going
to the poorhouse, on this :-)

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering
iron won't be up to the job ...).

A Weller SP-120 (120 watts, 1/2" tip) or SP-170 (170 watts, 5/8" tip)
would do the job. Either of these is also great for soldering coax
plugs (I have the SP-170 & it's a barnburner). If you can't find the
irons locally at a hardware or hobby shop, a Google search brings them
up, online.

Bob
k5qwg

Alf January 9th 05 03:23 PM

"news" wrote:
I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

Good idea. Bury anything that will conduct, eg biscuit tins! I spent
ages unwinding and burying the coils from old TV CRTs. 40 years ago (I
was a 160m nut) I bought a very large reel of bare 18 swg "garden
wire" from local hardware store. It looked like copper but too light
and seemed to be an ali alloy. It was buried in around 2"-4" slits in
100 - 150' lengths in clay-ish non-acid soil. Still looks in good
shape. I used choc block connectors to join the wires in pairs or
triplets, soldered the group and left a tail to make the next larger
group. Used heavy auto earthing braid for final lead into ground floor
shack.

Was it worth the trouble? Yes. With a ~200' inverted L (3/8th wave on
topband), no problem working Ws on a 500mW transistor (germanium!)
box. Dead band with earth disconnected.

Alf GW3SRG

Spike January 9th 05 03:26 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:33:44 GMT, news wrote:

I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an
electrical point of view,

Why not?

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

Something that is cheap (so you can have lots of it) and non-corroding
(so you don't have to re-lay it every year).

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering
iron won't be up to the job ...).

Use a car battery clamp and plenty of grease.

3. What kind of solder and flux should I use?

None at all. See above.

4. What precautions should I take to minimise the effects of corrosion
at the joints?

See above.

5. How deep should I bury the radials? Two inches, six inches, 12
inches?

Whatever you find most convenient.

6. Is there anything else I should know?

You will never lay enough radials to turn your garden into a
highly-conductive metallic mirror, the next best thing you can do is
to provide the lowest ohmic contact for your vertical. If your
vertical has a radiation resistance of R ohms and the ohmic contact
with the ground is Z ohms, the efficiency of your system is given by
R/(R+Z). Consider a short vertical with a ground rod might have R = 10
and Z = 150, you can see the efficiency is pretty low at ~6 percent.
So 94 percent of your RF is heating up the earthworms &c.

We are on heavy clay soil that alternates between being very dry and
very wet.

I suggest you start with a couple of tons of well-rotted farmyard
manure. You need to work on that clay and turn it into something
better both horticulturally and electrically.

My main interest is in the lower hf bands (40/80/160) and possibly
136kHz.

In that case at 136 kHz R above might be .0001 ohms or worse, and your
efficiency will be very low. Get as much metal in the ground as
possible. Avoid loops.

--
from
Aero Spike

Ian White, G3SEK January 9th 05 03:42 PM

Ian J wrote:
I need to improve my ground system, and am thinking of burying some
radials under the lawn.

[I realise this is not the most efficient way to do it from an
electrical point of view, but the alternative approach of installing
the radials above the ground is completely out of the question, for
aesthetic reasons].

Some practical questions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. What is the "best" type of wire (or braid) to use for the radials?

Whatever you can get a lot of at a cheap price, and isn't going to
corrode immediately it's buried. That means NOT braid or bare stranded
either.

Bare or insulated solid wire is fine, and likewise insulated stranded
wire.

2. How do I bond the radials together? (I guess my 15-watt soldering
iron won't be up to the job ...).

I used a horizontal busbar of copper tube, supported by a token ground
rod. Each radial was looped round the busbar and secured with a twist,
and finally the whole lot was soldered with a blowtorch (used at a
careful distance).

3. What kind of solder and flux should I use?

Ordinary tin/lead. I used Fluxite paste and rinsed it off afterwards.

4. What precautions should I take to minimise the effects of corrosion
at the joints?

Clear polyurethane spray has worked perfectly for several years. I chose
clear so I'd be able to check for corrosion underneath, but there hasn't
been any.

5. How deep should I bury the radials? Two inches, six inches, 12
inches?

Zero inches, if you can. Cut the grass very short in a few weeks' time,
and staple the radials down. This part of the question was discussed
here, only a week ago.

6. Is there anything else I should know?

You're going to have backache.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

'Doc January 9th 05 03:51 PM

As suggested, lots of wire. Doesn't matter to the RF if
it's insulated or not (it will matter as far as corrosion
is concerned). No soldering, use heavy clamps instead. Coat
with some kind of noncorrosive 'goop'. Bury it deep enough
so the lawn mower doesn't get into it. when you think you
have enough metal in the ground, add another mile...
'Doc

PS - If you're going to use 136 Khz, make that 10 miles.