Old January 13th 05, 04:48 PM
Airy R.Bean

Default Burying radials with a meat cleaver?

Someone suggested this over the last few days.

As I'm having trouble with soil sticking to the spade
and creating a hole when the spade is pulled up
instead of just a slit, could someone redescribe the
meat cleaver technique?

Old January 13th 05, 05:27 PM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:48:41 -0000, "Airy R.Bean"
wrote:

Someone suggested this over the last few days.

As I'm having trouble with soil sticking to the spade
and creating a hole when the spade is pulled up
instead of just a slit, could someone redescribe the
meat cleaver technique?

FYI, I found an alternative tool -- it's a 12-inch blade that is
foot-operated. See the picture at:

http://www.hound-dog.com/steppin_edger.htm

Officially, it's a lawn edger, but it will also cut a slit in the
lawn. If I bury it too deeply in wet soil, the dirt sticks to the
blade, but if I'm careful, and do it in reasonably dry soil, it works
nicely.

Bob
k5qwg

Old January 13th 05, 10:53 PM
Henry Kolesnik

If you're doing it in a lawn just "sew them in" a good straight line so the
radial is at ground level and then make some U shape pins out of whatever
you have and pin them down. Stretch the radial as tight as possible before
pinning. You'll be surprised how easy it is and how well it works and after
about 2 or 3 mowings you won't be able find them, that is if have a lawn.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old January 13th 05, 11:24 PM
Clarence_A

"-XC-" wrote in message
Might be nasty if some metal U-pins loosened up and then the

lawnmower finds
them.......

Never use a magnetic lawn mower!

Old January 14th 05, 03:02 PM
'Doc

Airy,
Know anyone with drums? Take cymbols, put in place of wheelbarrow
wheel, find amount of dirt to use for weight for proper depth, wheel
you a 'slit' across the lawn. Insert wire, stomp 'slit' closed. Repeat
till finsihed. Buy new cymbols for drum set.
'Doc

PS - Does it work? Yes. Is it worth the price of new cymbols?
Beats me, too lazy to find out...

Old January 15th 05, 12:36 PM
Airy R.Bean

Problem solved by using the bread knife. (New
replacement purchased for SWMBO)

The problem with a lawn edger is the heavy clay that
adheres to it, resulting in an unsightly hole rather than
a neat slit.

"Sarge" wrote in message
I used a lawn edger....
"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
Someone suggested this over the last few days.
As I'm having trouble with soil sticking to the spade
and creating a hole when the spade is pulled up
instead of just a slit, could someone redescribe the
meat cleaver technique?

Ground radials -- the practicalities? news Antenna 76 January 12th 05 11:48 PM
Resonant and Non-resonant Radials Reg Edwards Antenna 1 January 8th 05 10:27 PM
hustler antenna Roger Adam Antenna 19 January 8th 05 07:55 PM
Performance of a system of Ground Radials Reg Edwards Antenna 1 July 22nd 04 12:32 PM